Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » Rules

Subject: read and react? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I have a good grip on this game minus read and react. 2 parts.

1. If the defense does not perform a read and react, may the offence still perform a read and react?

2. In this scenario, if the defense declined to read and react, but the offence did, may the defense read and react to the offences?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goblinsavingthrow wrote:

1. If the defense does not perform a read and react, may the offence still perform a read and react?

2. In this scenario, if the defense declined to read and react, but the offence did, may the defense read and react to the offences?

Thanks!

1. No, the offense con only react if the defense does it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orabbi wrote:
goblinsavingthrow wrote:

Thanks!

1. No, the offense con only react if the defense does it first.
With the one exception of the "QB Read" skill. If playing with skills, the Offensive coach can R&R to the "QB Read" player only and only if that player has the ball. But to then answer #2, the defense does not get a second R&R option in response.

The general answer to #1 is important, though: as the defensive coach, it's important to ask if the offense will get more use out of a Read and React than you will. If that's the case, choose not to react and deny them the option! The defense generally benefits from being patient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick clarification, it's appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
The general answer to #1 is important, though: as the defensive coach, it's important to ask if the offense will get more use out of a Read and React than you will. If that's the case, choose not to react and deny them the option! The defense generally benefits from being patient.

NNN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
lomn wrote:

NNN

Yes that happened saturday.. Green(skins) were looking to breakthru on one wing so i went read and react to bring over blockers.. Greenskins then bloody read and reacted to push their receiver out behind any possible reaction i could have done... I thought those 75 cards were in stack as part of his run play... i was wrong off he went and strolledc in for a TD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JefA wrote:
Yes that happened saturday.. Green(skins) were looking to breakthru on one wing so i went read and react to bring over blockers.. Greenskins then bloody read and reacted to push their receiver out behind any possible reaction i could have done... I thought those 75 cards were in stack as part of his run play... i was wrong off he went and strolledc in for a TD

You hate it when that happens, but you also kind of love it when they sell the fake well enough to make you bite and then burn you with the easy pass. Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Peletis
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Follow up question on this:

As the offensive player with QB Read, is this the proper sequence:

O Coach: I am using QB Read. Do you want to Read and React?
D Coach: No
O Coach: *pulls new card off bench for normal R&R*

D Coach: Yes
O Coach: *both coaches pulls new card off bench, face down, then reveal for normal R&R*

And a 2nd question:

In the 2nd scenario above, could the offensive coach then choose to not do QB Read and save it for later in the down? I assume no way, but it's nice to have a written answer for any sneaky opposing coach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
jp4media wrote:
Follow up question on this:

As the offensive player with QB Read, is this the proper sequence:

D Coach: No
O Coach: *pulls new card off bench for normal R&R*

D Coach: Yes
O Coach: *both coaches pulls new card off bench, face down, then reveal for normal R&R*

And a 2nd question:

In the 2nd scenario above, could the offensive coach then choose to not do QB Read and save it for later in the down? I assume no way, but it's nice to have a written answer for any sneaky opposing coach!

This is a quote from the QB Read thread from Brent:
voodooink wrote:
moonrally wrote:
Quick follow up question about QB Read. After the Offense has performed the Read and React to the player with the skill (and ball), can the Defense then Read and React in reply or have they missed their chance this turn to do it? We've been playing it that it's essentially a flipped Read and React so the Offense performs a Read and React then the D can... But does the D have to declare first, so if the Offense QB Reads the D then can't?

Just thought I'd double check.

The defense has to declare first, and that's their one chance. If the defense chooses not to Read and React, and the offense then utilizes its QB read option, the defense is stuck using the face-up card.

This is what really makes playing defense against the QB read so tough, and it creates a really deep bluffing/meta game for a crafty offensive coordinator. If the defense had the option to switch again after the QB read, they would be able to constantly recover and adjust. You can push the defense to switch and burn cards even when you have no intention of using your skill yet by simply looking downfield in the direction of an open receiver or counting spaces on an imaginary bootleg run.

So the timing of it is this:
1. D Coach - choice to Read and React
2. O Coach - If D chooses to Read and React, they may also Read an React. If they have the QB Read skill here and the player is in possession of the ball, they can pull his card and perform a Read and React, as the D coach already has had the chance to Read and React they may not Read and React to the QB Read as their chance to Read and React this turn has passed.

Hope that makes sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@moon rally is correct about QB read, but I'll add this bit of advice.

When coaching a team with a player that has QB read, I will make a point of asking the defensive coach if he wants to read-and-react every single down. This keeps you from tipping your hand for when you actually want to use QB read and can give you the opportunity to bluff a bit and trick your opponent into swapping when you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Peletis
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.... not sure how I missed that previous explanation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another timing question:

Players reveal cards, they're tied.
Read and react.
Now one player has a higher number, they choose who goes first, or they're tied and roll to break the tie.

Or

Players roll dice to decide who wins the tie.
Read and react. Player with higher number chooses who goes first.

I know it may seem trivial, but I feel like knowing or not who is currently going to select who goes first is a big advantage and could change the decision to read and react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
Another timing question:

Read and react.
Now one player has a higher number, they choose who goes first, or they're tied and roll to break the tie./q]
This is correct.

[q="HeinzMcDurgen"]I know it may seem trivial, but I feel like knowing or not who is currently going to select who goes first is a big advantage and could change the decision to read and react.

You're right, it definitely makes a difference. If I'm on defense, and my opponent has the higher numbered card on a reveal, I'll immediately announce 'Hold on, I may swap.' if I'm even remotely considering swapping so that they don't announce their intentions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzMcDurgen wrote:
Another timing question:

Read and react.
Now one player has a higher number, they choose who goes first, or they're tied and roll to break the tie.

Or

Players roll dice to decide who wins the tie.
Read and react. Player with higher number chooses who goes first.

I know it may seem trivial, but I feel like knowing or not who is currently going to select who goes first is a big advantage and could change the decision to read and react.

The short answer is that your first interpretation is correct: the read and react decision comes before any tiebreak roll (p. 12, "After the Snap," steps 1-2).

But the best solution is to sidestep the issue altogether by using "Optional Pro 'House Rule'" (p. 21), in which you look to the second number on the uniform to break ties rather than roll the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.