Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently i bought a copy of runebound, still waiting for it, what i loved about runebound is that it is an adventure game. Really awesome idea. I really love mage knight and by the reviews i had a similar feel of adventure and explore and i caught myself searching for similar games and havent found any. Is there any games that you guys would compare to runebound third edition?

An extra questions, i think it really silly the flippin disks mechanism, is there any replacement? Use dice and consider even to side b and stuff? I am complaining before hand, definitely, maybe i will like it but i am just wondering if you guys do it in any other way

Thanks!

Edit: Changed the thread name cause the thread was derailled hahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anything similar to this?
Prophecy is very similar. Better in some ways, different in others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't knock the flipping tokens system before you try it. Because it's amazing.

Witcher would be next closest I can think of to runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:

An extra questions, i think it really silly the flippin disks mechanism,

Thanks!

How is it so inferior to the silly rolling wooden cubes mechanism found in other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
ryusora wrote:

An extra questions, i think it really silly the flippin disks mechanism,

Thanks!

How is it so inferior to the silly rolling wooden cubes mechanism found in other games?

As i said, its something new that i have never saw before, and i am complaining even before actually testing it, dont bash me hahah. And it is no actually inferior to rolling dice, just saying i am used to roll dice.

And did you meant rolling dice or the cube tower that a few games have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, the flipping disk mechanism looks silly and feels quite cheap but actually works suprisingly very well during actual gameplay.

So do not worry about it, in the end combat is cool and engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Well, the flipping disk mechanism looks silly and feels quite cheap but actually works suprisingly very well during actual gameplay.

So do not worry about it, in the end combat is cool and engaging.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with what others have said, it's a great system for combat. Even though it is just Pogs, it's way cooler and feels more robust than dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I had was that the card board pogs feel flimsy and are hard to pick up once thrown. But that is easy to solve with some Coin capsules. See: https://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Coin-Capsules-29mm-Coins/d...

I just put the disk that are needed by the game in the capsules. Once capsuled they have a nice weight and throwing them around feels much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
what i loved about runebound is that it is an adventure game. Really awesome idea.

There are various adventure games, but I find the concept better than the execution most of the time. Anyway, you may want to check Return of the Heroes, The Witcher Adventure Game or either of the World of WarCraft games. My favorite adventure game is Legends of Andor, but it's cooperative and some people complain that you can't indiscriminately kill monsters. Candamir: The First Settlers is also good, but very much a Euro, and it has no Fantasy elements. Keep in mind that I'm primarily a Euro gamer, and my preferences reflect that.

Quote:
An extra questions, i think it really silly the flippin disks mechanism, is there any replacement?

I don't like the idea, either, and it was one of the reasons I passed on the game. But only the current implementation of Runebound uses this system. First and second editions use dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarian Prince is probably my absolute favorite pure Adventure game behind Runebound.

It's in a print and play status now, so not a pain to get your hands on it, but it is Solo only.

I'll also have to dispute Legends of Andor being an Adventure game, or it being a good recommendation as an alternative to Runebound. Although the theme is there, and it has a good narrative, the game is actually a puzzle, and once solved will be beaten the exact same time every way. There's no real sense of exploration after you've played a scenario once (win or lose), and little reason or motivation to ever go back through and play it again.

The token flipping mechanism works great, and the way it is incorporated into equipment enhances the system even further over previous runebounds, IMO. Where in 2nd ed, Equipment mostly just gave you some extra numbers to add to your die roll, Equipment in 3rd ed will actually give you whole new tokens to cast which can completely change up your character's play style, and helps to feel like an actual evolution of your character during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boshar wrote:
The biggest problem I had was that the card board pogs feel flimsy and are hard to pick up once thrown.

Flimsy? Hard to pick up?

Okay, gamers can be picky, but this is ridiculous. The counters are not even remotely flimsy and are some of the easiest counters to handle in the entire history of boardgaming.

I'll just assume you have a Chinese bootleg copy of the game, and play it wearing mittens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
boshar wrote:
The biggest problem I had was that the card board pogs feel flimsy and are hard to pick up once thrown.

Flimsy? Hard to pick up?

Okay, gamers can be picky, but this is ridiculous. The counters are not even remotely flimsy and are some of the easiest counters to handle in the entire history of boardgaming.

I'll just assume you have a Chinese bootleg copy of the game, and play it wearing mittens.

Compare it to flipping coins. In a capsule it will handle just like a coin. As cardboard it just feels 'Meh'. The capsules ad weight and thickness. I never said that the game components are worse then other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
The flipping disks (or pogs) is a really intelligent way of resolving combat.
You must make choices when alterning attacks of which one you will use.
Often, players not involved in the battle offer suggestions, and this adds to the participative aspect of the game.
Sure, it takes slightly more time than a di(c)e roll, but it immerses you much better in the feeling of a duel between two opposing characters.
JMO, but the disks are one of the bright, innovative and successful aspects of Runebound.
But I understand that some players prefer not move out of their traditions and comfort zones.
Now translating the complex interactions of the disk combat into a dice rolling system seems quite complicated.

Btw, if you fear some wear, you can purchase a set of disks separately (quite useless, IMO, as I have seen players witness that the disks pass the test of time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
But I understand that some players prefer not move out of their traditions and comfort zones.

Maybe that is the OP's case, but what I dislike is the physical act of flipping cardboard tokens. It didn't work well for me in The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel, and I have no reason to believe that it will here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Robin wrote:

Maybe that is the OP's case, but what I dislike is the physical act of flipping cardboard tokens. It didn't work well for me in The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel, and I have no reason to believe that it will here.

Same (and I have played the game and I dislike the tokens, though I like the game well enough otherwise).

For some reason this deeply offends the game's adherents. People differ, life goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to flip them out. You shake them in your hand like dice and throw them down just like dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
You don't have to flip them out. You shake them in your hand like dice and throw them down just like dice.

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

They don't shake that well in your hand. They tend to stick together in the same position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

They don't shake that well in your hand. They tend to stick together in the same position.

I have zero issues, and no one I have played with has either. Maybe we all just have big hands though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had zero issues too....

just think of them as d2's and you'll be fine.:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

That's true of dice, also. Use a cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I never gave this much thought till now, but thinking back on my games I cannot remember getting the same result twice in a row. That is random enough for me.

I really find it cool when you get a magic item, it is more than just "+1 attack". You get another unique disk and after a couple of purchases you feel stronger shaking multiple disks.

Also a not, I purchased the spare tokens just in case (because they are cardboard) but the game is holding up really well and have not opened it yet. My gripe with the game is the terrain dice because the stickers come away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I am not trying to pick on you, but have you tried the game? This doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
broggi wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I am not trying to pick on you, but have you tried the game? This doesn't happen.

I must be living in an alternate dimension where it happens routinely. Or it could be your experience isn't universal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.