3 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quicker and longer Boss Experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
What about a very simple and very easy Variation of the otherwise Standard Core Game Rules even with optional "Double Souls and Half Sparks" Variant for faster Gameplay. (When doing with that Variant maybe Amount of Sparks +1 = Transposed Card Reward)

The Amount of Sparks left when battling a Boss determines the Amount of Transposed Hero Treasure Cards per Player, chosen at random, the Players would get in Addition to the whole Reward as per Standard Core Game Rules after defeating the Boss.
With this the Heroes would be less powerful and therefore the Boss Fight eventually would last longer so the Boss AI Card Mechanic would be more present and important.

Rest of the Cards get shuffled in the Treasure Deck as per Core Game Rules after Mini Boss Encounter.

So now there would be a real Benefit for trying the Boss as soon as possible.

You could also not shuffle the remaining Transposed Cards into the Treasure Deck after the Mini Boss to increase the Urgency. So only Way to get those Transposed Cards would be through Boss Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilbur
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only concern with this idea is that I assume that everyone tries to beat the boss instead of just resetting for the grind because why not do it that way? If you lose to the boss you reset anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Yep would assume the same but then you would work with boss battles more and also more in depth because with relatively poor gear there isnt enough damage put out o get the boss down too quickly. So at least most people would possibly grind for one spark and after that try the boss with the stuff they managed to fins until then?

Doesnt sound too bad if you try the mini boss after one or no grind run. I mean if your lucky with the treasures then even without a second grind run its a good option. And at least you die to the boss what definitely stands for dark soul isnt it?! :-)

Edit:
When going against the Boss becomes first Nature before gearing up too much then people start learning about the boss AI Cards and after some plays they will know wich AI Pattern stands for what Card's Attack Name and maybe then because Boss Fights will last more than two Rounds they eventually start remembering the AI Cards and thats what intentionally the devs wanted boss fights to be at least i would assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.