Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasmeer Sangha
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just from a few play throughs I've watched, it seems as if if a player has a poor initial roll ( roll 6 dice and place on board) compared to an opponent, it really hurts their chances to win. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Is there really enough dice mitigation to counter this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say only about 10 percent of the time is there enough difference in the quality of the two rolls to make any advantage too big to overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I'd say only about 10 percent of the time is there enough difference in the quality of the two rolls to make any advantage too big to overcome.

From my experience those initial dice guild what types of actions you are looking for. There is a lot of dice manipulation in the game. 2s and 1s are not bad. stack them in spots where you can pick up the bonuses for having values under 8 and 5 or use strength to flip their side. Not been a big concern in the 10 games I've played. Usually with 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm the few times I played it definitely hurt a player and forced you into a play style you may not enjoy. Of course the point can be argued but especially for classes without a dice manipulation ability besides the attribute abilities it can cause for a huge catch up and quite a bit of luck just to 'keep up with the jones'.

That said I think it could be easily mitigated with house rules, similar to what you would do in character creation in a table top game - cap number total on the dice for each player, allow for some type of mulligan re-roll 1-many times, allow the player with the lowest to change a die to a 6, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N O
Philippines
flag msg tools
For those of you who've played it more these past months, is this still true?

I mean, does a poor initial roll still significantly affect a player's chances of winning despite the tools the game gives you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've got close to 70 or 80 plays in - I do not find your starting roll to matter much. It does, and should, set your strategy. The lower the player count the less it maters, but even at 4 I found I was never really harmed by a bad roll.

At higher counts, you are much more likely to see all the cards, making it more likely you'll be able to leverage your strategy, provided what you needed isn't taken or discarded by an observant opponent. And it is the reduction of that player chaos that makes it matter less in lower player counts. I can almost always get what I want in a 2P game, provided the card actually comes up (the real frustration for me, at 2P is that we've had games with some colors never appearing more then 1 or 2 times).

In my experience the lower the player count the more likely everything will be done; armor, background, stats, alignment, etc. In higher counts there is too much player chaos and something has to give. If people are finding an imbalance in starting dice, I'd guess that its related to player skill imbalance at high player counts that is allow someone in a 4P game to complete all objectives and then rake in trait cards with points.

Additionally, if starting rolls matter then all rolls matter. This is a game about overcoming randomness. Ignoring the starting rolls, you can get bad die after bad die from the market and still win if you use the correct strategy - I've seen. Hell, the designer himself smoked me doing just that. Bringing the starting dice back in, its the same concept, just all at once. What I think people maybe frustrated with is that with a bad roll, it limits your choice in the beginning - the sandbox shrinks and you have to follow certain path or two if you want to win. With my comparison to the subsequent rounds, your choice is slowly narrowed instead of a third of your options giving up the ghost in one go.

/rantoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.