Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the designer suggests against mixing both expansion in with the base game, but I honestly can't remember what the issue was. Anybody disregard his advice and try it out? Care to share your opinion?

Was it merely the fear of overkill, or was it related to deck dilution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I know the designer suggests against mixing both expansion in with the base game, but I honestly can't remember what the issue was. Anybody disregard his advice and try it out? Care to share your opinion?

Was it merely the fear of overkill, or was it related to deck dilution?

To clarify, I recommend against mixing both expansions until you've played with each separately enough to become very familiar with them, because jumping into a game using both can be quite overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I feel comfortable playing base game only, with either expansion, and with both expansions together. I usually go with base game if I am playing with new players, but occasionally I've had a game with more experienced players or even adventurous new players where we've mixed everything together. It's been great each time, and personally I love the extra options that the expansions provide. I do understand that they could overwhelm someone that is not familiar enough with all the extra tech though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to combining both expansions. I played it with just exotica last night and I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have tried such a heavy asteroid strategy if we had been playing with escalation. I would have missed out on a fun and interesting strategy that I hadn't considered before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kcrash5 wrote:
I'm looking forward to combining both expansions. I played it with just exotica last night and I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have tried such a heavy asteroid strategy if we had been playing with escalation. I would have missed out on a fun and interesting strategy that I hadn't considered before.

As I said above, my biggest concern about players jumping into a game with both expansions together is that they may be overwhelmed and have a lousy experience.

My secondary concern is what you said - that players will cheat themselves out of some interesting game experiences exploring Exotica by itself.

I'm glad you didn't miss out on that, and I'm happy to hear you are enjoying EmDo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.