Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although every published version of monochrome chess, including the BGG description, says that this game requires two identical chess sets, it's just not so!

The essential feature of this game is that piece ownership is changeable and based on board location, rather than color. The way to "demonstrate" that, and keep players from identifying with one color or the other, is to set up the board so that each player has eight white and eight black chessmen. I prefer to have all men on their opposite colors like this:

I like the options for playing with three to six players in Martian Chess, but monochrome chess is a more complex and interesting game for two. I think it may have seen much less play than it deserves because people just don't have two matching chess sets sitting around.

Of course, playing with a single chess set takes away the "Bill and Ted's Excellent Chess Variant" visual stunt of the thing, but if you're at all interested in the game as a game, you don't need a second set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.