26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » General

Subject: worth 60$ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: coax_me [+] [View All]
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Local seller asking $60. Complete but with some box damage.Should I go for it. I love AH/EH and hear this is similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played twice and I said yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! I paid $100 CAD for my copy and I don't regret it one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
You can play this solo correct? I am exclusive solo gamer so no use to me if you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterpetersen wrote:
You can play this solo correct? I am exclusive solo gamer so no use to me if you can't.

Absolutely. Also, $60 is a steal if it's complete and in good shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid 60 euro in Belgium so it's about the same prize, a bit less I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't wait grab it!

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go on you know you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Looks good to me 🤗

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my two plays was solo, the other competitive against three other people. All fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on this being released to distributers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Someone on Facebook mentioned it should be in stock next week but have no idea if that's true or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Frog has more copies of the Fortune & Glory base game on hand, so it's just a matter of distributors ordering it. The same goes for customers in the U.K., Europe, and Australia (ask your retailer, who asks the distributor, then the distributor orders the game from Flying Frog.) I heard this straight from Scott Hill himself while at the wave 2 pickup event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is easily worth its price. It has a solo mode, but is best in full on competitive (including the vile organisation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Competitive or cooperative? I've heard competitive is worst and cooperative is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have mixed that up. I've read (and experienced) complaints about co-op play. One of the shortcomings with co-op is that sometimes it devolves into endlessly raiding the vile organizations bases in order to steal back artifacts, instead of going out and confronting dangers and cliffhangers to get your own artifacts. The default game rules for temples were also unclear for vile organization villains, but fortunately, it got addressed in the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
We must be looking at different pages lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely. A lot of reviewers write for the solo/co-op angle, and given this was Flying Frog's 4th major game,the people writing reviews are fans of Flying Frog's existing games.

I found raiding the bases to be a bit clunky (plus I seemed to get stuck with that task quite often as my friends were jet-setting around the world to get artifacts.) The best part about the dangers/cliffhangers was taking turns against players for the "press your luck" aspect, which is much less immersive when competing against the villains, who don't even use the same game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
The game is easily worth its price. It has a solo mode, but is best in full on competitive (including the vile organisation).

Respectfully, I disagree 100%.

The 'worst' part of the game, according to many many many people, is the downtime between turns. Closely followed by the confusion with some rules of who gets what spoils from battles.

Both of these are negated with solo play. Hence, it's an amazing solo experience - providing you've got time and space to set it up and play.

---

PS: The one other 'issue' I've heard and seen is about the mismatch of dangers and the locations. Personally, that's part of the charm and I don't mind it and can build my own narrative. But, if this is an issue, then the solo gamers out there can download and stack the deck from a BGG file and again, make it a fab game.

Just my 10p/10c worth.

Either way... get the game already. And the expansions. More content means more fun here, especially with the Vile Organisations, extra cards and extra characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Thanks for feedback. Got the game yesterday and reading rules now. One thing I like is that it seems you can play cooperatively or competetively solo (just choose your hero and other competitors and do your best for each character). They suggest you play competitive first game so may do it with 2 players then go into coop play. Also will be ordering expansions soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterpetersen wrote:
Thanks for feedback. Got the game yesterday and reading rules now. One thing I like is that it seems you can play cooperatively or competetively solo (just choose your hero and other competitors and do your best for each character). They suggest you play competitive first game so may do it with 2 players then go into coop play. Also will be ordering expansions soon!

Have fun!

(And don't forget to check out the Complete Rulebook and its two-page game aid on the files page)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:
Mattias wrote:

Respectfully, I disagree 100%.

The 'worst' part of the game, according to many many many people, is the downtime between turns. Closely followed by the confusion with some rules of who gets what spoils from battles.

Both of these are negated with solo play. Hence, it's an amazing solo experience - providing you've got time and space to set it up and play.

---

PS: The one other 'issue' I've heard and seen is about the mismatch of dangers and the locations. Personally, that's part of the charm and I don't mind it and can build my own narrative. But, if this is an issue, then the solo gamers out there can download and stack the deck from a BGG file and again, make it a fab game.

Just my 10p/10c worth.

Either way... get the game already. And the expansions. More content means more fun here, especially with the Vile Organisations, extra cards and extra characters.

Respectful disagreements are the best!

I think it might be a question of taste. I have no interest at all in luck based solo games. In fact, I have very little interest in most cooperative games (I've not found many that provide an interesting challenge). I also don't mind games with downtime and I consider a five hour game "short".

Fortune and Glory is not a skill based game. It is however a very thematic, simple and dice heavy romp that is a lot of fun with the right group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.