Subject: Preview Matchday Dice Roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant will give a preview of the match dice to be thrown later in the round. It gives an early indication of the final dice roll, and therby reduces it from being completely random luck.

While there are no guarantees that the preview match dice roll will be repeated for the actual matchday dice roll, an exact match for both colours is likely to occur about one time in three.

Rolling just one of the two colours is likely to occur one time in two. There is only about a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 chance that neither of the preview colours come up.

To implement this variant, at the start of every round, roll both Match Dice and place them in a visible area to all.

When rolling the actual match day, as per the normal rules, follow these steps:

1. take note of the 2 starting colours in the preview roll.

2. roll both dice.

3. If any die matches one of the starting colours then lock that colour in. That is, put that die aside as it will be applied as part of the final match dice roll.

4 if any die is not locked in, reroll those dice.

5 after the reroll, all match dice become locked in, whether they match any of the starting colours or not. This becomes the final match dice result that is used.

The final rule is best described with a Q and A example.

Question: If the preview dice were red and blue and, on matchday, your first roll was two reds, which die should you reroll?

Answer: the die with the two blue sides on because it is more likely to match exactly with the preview throw.

EIK dice reroll

The EIK dice are also rolled separately, after this.

The active player rolls both of the EIK and may reroll either EIK die a second tims.

If a player is happy with either EIK die roll they can lock it in.

After the second dice roll attempt or a player has locked in both EIK dice then both dice become locked in. Apply the result of the EIK dice.

Advance view of next 6 matchday preview dice

Another option is to have a bag of cubes: 8 cubes in red, blue, black and yellow. At the start of the game draw a pair of cubes out of the bag for each of the next 6 match days. These become the starting colour dice for each matchday.

You can now see which colours might be more valuable over the course of the game. At the end of each matchday remove the leftmost pair of cubes relating to the current matchday, return them to the bag and then draw another pair of cubes to add to the right. You then keep visibility of the next 6 preview dice throughout the game.

Main edit: Paulo Renatos recommendation to only reroll the matchday dice once and not twice as I originally suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad ideas... maybe the 2 re-rolls are a bit much... maybe 1 roll and then a second one just to not force the results so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Not bad ideas... maybe the 2 re-rolls are a bit much... maybe 1 roll and then a second one just to not force the results so much

Paulo, you are definitely right about the match day die throws. By reducing the number of throws from three to two, I am now getting about the right level of results which are approximately:

1 in 3 throws resulting in complete matches on both dice.
Just over 1 in 2 throws matching on 1 die only.
1 in 8 throws being complete misses on both dice.

On the EIK die, I'm personally in favour of three rolls to try and avoid injuries which I think are too commonplace and too harsh to deal with. I also enjoy the mechanic of pushing your luck on a third EIK roll, hoping for something better but just as likely to end up getting something worse 😎
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.