Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Losing a unit if there are no trogs that came up from an event clerification. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Hoehna
msg tools
Hello.

I am confused about why and when of losing a unit during moving if there are no trog units in the new area.

Page 7 of the rulebook, under "Move Action" step 2 says this: "...In no Trog units were placed in the Region as a direct result of the effect of the token (when there is no Trog Unit in reserve), you must immediately lose one unit in that Region."

Why do we lose a unit? Is it like, because people die when exploring.

I also want clarification on when you lose a unit.

Here is how I am interpreting this rule.
So, the step before this, you flip an effect token, if there is one. That effect token may or may not put Trog units in the Region.

If the effect token does not put any Trog units in the Region AND there are no Trog reserves, than you lose a unit.

Is this correct?

That means, if no Trog units were not placed in a Region because of an effect token and there are Trog units in reserve than we don't lose a unit?

Is this correct, am I missing something? I don't understand what this rule is for.

Thanks.

EDIT: Thank you all. I've figured out the rule. It was worded weirdly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My read is that this kicks in if you are supposed to put a Trog in the region but there is none in the reserve - so you lose one unit as opposed to going to battle which may lead to losing or not. I read this thematically as maybe gorilla sniping or something like that since the alternative is that you get the space for free which seems unfair.

So, your read of taking the hit even if no Trog was meant to be put there is taking an extra hit for no reason IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
For every Trog token (war party or nest) that is supposed to put any Trog Units in that region, but you put 0 Trog Units because there are none in reserve, you lose 1 of your Units. If you put any Trog Units there, even if short of what is called for by the token, you do not lose a Unit due to that token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
For every Trog token (war party or nest) that is supposed to put any Trog Units in that region, but you put 0 Trog Units because there are none in reserve, you lose 1 of your Units. If you put any Trog Units there, even if short of what is called for by the token, you do not lose a Unit due to that token.

So if there is a party token and a nest token and no trogs in reserve, anyone entering the region will automatically lose 2 units ?
Or is it just maximum 1 unit dying?

I think it is the latter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

So if there is a party token and a nest token and no trogs in reserve, anyone entering the region will automatically lose 2 units ?
Or is it just maximum 1 unit dying?

I think it is the latter

If you cannot add any Trogs for a token, lose a Unit.
If you have multiple tokens, lose one per.

This isn't super common, especially if you are being aggressive, as all Trogs are returned to reserves after any battle in 2-3 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hoehna
msg tools
jdanish wrote:

My read is that this kicks in if you are supposed to put a Trog in the region but there is none in the reserve - so you lose one unit as opposed to going to battle which may lead to losing or not. I read this thematically as maybe gorilla sniping or something like that since the alternative is that you get the space for free which seems unfair.

So, your read of taking the hit even if no Trog was meant to be put there is taking an extra hit for no reason IMHO.

After some thinking, I came up with this solution as well. This rule does make sense. If the game can't physically supply the tokens that are needed, lose a unit instead. They could have worded that better, and put the rule in a different spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
activefire wrote:
jdanish wrote:

After some thinking, I came up with this solution as well. This rule does make sense. If the game can't physically supply the tokens that are needed, lose a unit instead. They could have worded that better, and put the rule in a different spot.

That isn't the rule. Please see what I noted above this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hoehna
msg tools
HerrohGrant wrote:
activefire wrote:
jdanish wrote:

You and I might have different definitions of a rule. Why is this not a rule? I might be wrong with what I think a rule is.

This is a rule because the rule-book stated something that has to be followed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
activefire wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
activefire wrote:
jdanish wrote:

You and I might have different definitions of a rule. Why is this not a rule? I might be wrong with what I think a rule is.

It isn't a rule because the version you wrote isn't accurate.

Hi, I'm the designer. I believe I can tell you when your explanation
Isn't accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hoehna
msg tools
HerrohGrant wrote:
activefire wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
activefire wrote:
jdanish wrote:

Isn't accurate.

Oh, you were talking about what I made, not what the rule book said. I see.

What other cases are there that I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
activefire wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
activefire wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
activefire wrote:
jdanish wrote:

Isn't accurate.

Oh, you were talking about what I made, not what the rule book said. I see.

What other cases are there that I missed?

I only comment if the other explanations are wrong or there are follow up questions others haven't hit yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samson The Dragon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoi,
A question we had yesterday with our gameplay. Since you lose a unit if there are no trogs anymore in the reserve. What happens when for example the humans have a control token there, together with two trogtokens and an eventtoken.Red enters with one unit.
Is it so that the event activate, red loses the unit and yellow loses control? Or does yellow keeps control since no real enemy's are in the zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.