BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Never Been to a Convention rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I've never been to a convention specifically aimed at board games. I was wondering what other people's opinions are about the best convention to go to if you've never been before. A good 'entry level' convention, if that makes any sense. A trip to GenCon, for example, while awesome would be FAR too expensive for me as an individual unfortunately. BTW, I live in Long Beach, CA. I'd also probably be going by myself. I don't have a gaming group of friends that I'd be able to chip in on the trip. Maybe there is something a bit closer to me? Thanks for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I would suggest a local convention to start off and if you like it.

A local one for you would be Strategicon...here's the link:

http://www.strategicon.net/index.php

It should be close enough to drive to, perhaps even daily if you can attend more than one day. At the moment the events are light, but more and more are added as it gets closer.

It happens three times a year: President's weekend, Memorial weekend, and Labor Day weekend.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a neat list to identify cons in your (and many other!) areas:

http://casualgamerevolution.com/game-cons-2017

I went to my first "real" con last year (Dice Tower Con in Orlando, FL). It was 1,500 people "big" and it was a fantastic time. I immediately followed that up with a trip to Gencon, which was also amazing.

Choice of con really comes down to a few main points:

1. What can you afford? If you can't swing the cost, then that makes the decisions for you.

2. What are you going to a con for? If it's to have open gaming, then (as a general rule) the smaller the better. If it's events, big releases, shopping the new games, etc, then the bigger the better.

3. How are you wired? If you get overwhelmed in public easily, definitely go to the smaller cons first. You may never want to go to Gencon. All cons are not for all people.

I can't speak to California conventions, but there are a great many good cons out there. Just pick one and go!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have great conventions here in L.A. 3 times a year. Stratigicon conventions at the LAX Hilton hotel. Presidents day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day.

http://strategicon.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I was thinking of not going to Gencon because I live so far away, like over 2000 miles. It will be a lot of time and expense if I go just for the con

If I combine the trip with a visit to other places land do more non relating gaming activities that would justify the trip.

I certainly would not go just to play games as I can do that at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Strategicon. It's very close by and certainly qualifies for an "entry-level gaming convention." It was my first convention, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I was thinking of not going to Gencon because I live so far away, like over 2000 miles. It will be a lot of time and expense if I go just for the con

If I combine the trip with a visit to other places land do more non relating gaming activities that would justify the trip.

I certainly would not go just to play games as I can do that at home.

I agree that Gen Con can be an expense when either a long drive or airfare is involved. I've been a few times, coming from Southern California, so I get it. However, I would still recommend going if you can swing it. When I go, I try to do things I can't normally do at home, as you mentioned. I would also say you want to look at Gen Con a little differently...

I had a gaming buddy that I tried to encourage to go. He has more gaming inventory in his home/garage than most stores I've been in. If he redirected a few months of funds, he could easily go. However, he felt the expense was not worth the opportunity cost of product he could buy. My wife has slowly convinced me (over the years) to look at it from a different perspective: Buy an experience/memory instead of most "stuff" to put in the closet/garage. While I still buy "stuff," I try to buy a lot less, and instead try to spend more on experiences. That's how I've come to see Gen Con (and travel and other events). Anyway, a long winded way of saying that I would encourage you to try Gen Con if your budget would allow. As you also mentioned, you can do other activates in the area, perhaps that could make the trip meaningful to you as well.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.