Hide
6 Posts

Shadowscape» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action Phase must perform 2 actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John G
msg tools
Has there been any clarification on the rule on Page 9: "Also, whenever possible, you must perform both Actions (you cannot simply pass on any of them)."

When playing solo co-op (2 characters), I'm finding myself in situations where I can reliably perform 1 action but performing a 2nd action seems suspect. For instance, I have a treasure 4 present but am only able to search for a max of 2. Do I still have to attempt the search or can I refrain? What about when I have 0 Fate cards but I have a prepare action available? I want to save the prepare for when I'm in the Foresght shrine to complete a whisper but do I have to do the prepare before that point? What if I have 1 or 2 Fate cards and I'm not at my max hand size? What about if I'm in the same space as an enemy but can't generate enough Attack to kill it?

Also, Is there a rule against duplicate actions in a turn? I haven't found anything preventing me from completing 2 moves or 2 attacks in the same turn in the rulebook.

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do states that you have to perform two actions whenever possible. Searching with 0 boosts is an action - The rules do not state you have to perform the action successfully, just to perform it.

So it appears that there is a way to pass occasionally.

Note that i have not yet played, merely read the rules. It seems a tad foolish to waste an action when you have 0 fate cards and an available action unless you are "pressed for time".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Unless you're trying specifically not to flip a card, you can just do a move action for 0 points. I am not sure if it says it in the book but I know the designer stated so in these forums somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
msg tools
That was exactly my goal. I didn't want to flip a card that I needed for my next turn. Feels off to just sit in a location wasting a turn flipping cards to get back to what I originally wanted to do but couldn't because the game made me flip the card for no real action.

I found an older version of the rules and this line was not present before. I wonder what they encountered in play testing that made them include it?

I found the answer to my duplicate actions question in the rulebook under the move section. It mentions performing more than one move in the same turn so it looks like duplicate actions are permitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fernandes
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, coming a little late to this conversation
I played a couple of games this past week and I interpreted the rule as "at the end of your turn, you must have 2 flipped action cards if possible". So if you still have an action remaining and action cards that can be flipped, then you must flip one of them. I house ruled that you can then choose to not do anything or use it as a move 0.

For the move second action, I interpreted it as "you must be able to perform a second action" because you have to be able to flip a card in order to gain more movement. So if you moved as your second action or the remaining of your actions are disabled, you cannot perform a second move.

So for you initial question, my interpretation is; you have at least 4 action cards, you flipped one already, you must flip a second if you are able (one that is not disabled) even if you do not use the ability of the card. That means you loose it for the next round and need to wait another round (at least) to get it back - yes a painful mechanic at best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As actions card is useable on your next turn and still counts for skills so this is not really a penalty. Keep in mind the flip side action and symbols. If you are about to be attacked maybe flip one with more wounds or if you have a fate card that uses skills flip a non skill to a skill etc.

A used action cant be us3d two rounds in a row but you still hqve its flipside action next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.