Joseph B
msg tools
Hey all,

I've played a few times now, and have deeply enjoyed the game tactically. However after the last game we realized that the rule that supplies can only be transported by sea to Crown-controlled Port Cities was rather limiting. The Crown Player has frequently found himself unable to gain supplies on the east coast, and unable to transfer them to anything but a single besieged city. The Patriot player does not fear amphibious invasions in this way-- there is no chance for a 1-unit garrison in New York to be outflanked by an invasion force landed in the Long Island Point, nor much reason to leave much more garrison than that, as any Crown forces landed will be without supplies and can't be transfered supplies (and so little chance of a historical Battle of Long Island).

I have to wonder if we're wrong about this rule. Granted, sufficient war supply given over to bombardment might allow the Crown to exploit a small garrison and perhaps land troops that can then take an undefended city, but given the troop numbers involved in the defense of New York in real life and the huge number of war supply required to bombard through a larger garrison (and with what supply? Very few cities producing for the Crown in these situations) it doesn't feel right.

Despite this, the frustrated Crown Player, having found themselves pinned down and without revenue in the east (and no chance to land anywhere else), and spread thin and perhaps skirmishes to death further west, then pulls all their forces (and up to 3 reinforcements) back by sea to Quebec and then Montreal, and waits as the now-frustrated Patriot player futiley tries to rally 20+ units to the far North with sufficient supplies to allow even a chance of beating the Crown after defensive dice (5 a turn generated and easily sent to Montreal)-- and with the Crown always passing, the Patriot hasn't yet (in our games) managed to get that last point on the support track... I can only imagine this will be harder if the Crown can raid coastal supply centers more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing a small but important rule on page 2:

"Two Points have a Port Symbol, and function as Port Cities when moving Supplies and men, and when resolving Bombardment."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph B
msg tools
Ah! Amazing. Do Forts with the Port symbol also function this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rtjebadia wrote:
Ah! Amazing. Do Forts with the Port symbol also function this way?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
But the crown cannot transport to vacant non-city ports, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Smith
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the two points that are also ports allow a port city (like Boston) that does not have land access to an adjacent point to generate supplies? Or does the patriot occupation of that point west of Boston mean that the British can not generate any supplies in that city? In other words, are the port points considered adjacent to British port cities during supply generation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pbsmith wrote:
Will the two points that are also ports allow a port city (like Boston) that does not have land access to an adjacent point to generate supplies? Or does the patriot occupation of that point west of Boston mean that the British can not generate any supplies in that city? In other words, are the port points considered adjacent to British port cities during supply generation?

Points that are ports do not generate supplies for cities they are not connected to via a Line. Patriot occupation of the point west of Boston means that the British cannot generate supplies in Boston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Smith
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for confirming, Tom. Just played the game for the first time yesterday at GameholeCon in Madison Wisconsin and really enjoyed it (despite losing). I really appreciate what you and Mary are bringing to the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Janosi
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Two Points have a Port Symbol, and function as Port Cities when moving Supplies and men, and when resolving Bombardment."

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but if you can't transport to these non city ports what does it mean by moving men in this quote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alteffor wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but if you can't transport to these non city ports what does it mean by moving men in this quote?

Looking over the thread, I think I misread Rob's question as being about the supply move instead of the transport action - yes, you can transport men in that way, but you can't do your one-turn movement of supplies to a vacant non-city port (because vacant non-cities can't hold supplies, and need men to carry them).

I apologize for the confusion/imprecision. This is one reason why the sea rules are quite different (and simpler!) in the second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, can The Crown land troops in vacant non-city ports?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they can.

Otherwise, the New York campaign can't really be replicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.