Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing my two first games with the imperial player able to use a print out of the map and then be able to make whatever markings they want for probe cards or subjugation or loyalty in order to keep track without having to remember so much. Especially with how difficult it is to synthesize a bunch of probe cards into some kind of mental picture to know where they all are. Seems too cumbersome to not have a map. Plus Imperials surely are not that low tech...

However maybe I'm missing some mechanic or some good reason why I shouldn't be doing this? I'm not familiar enough with the cards or the game to definitively say there would be nothing wrong with this. Maybe there is a card or some aspect of the game where this would really be a bad idea?

Put me at ease and tell me it's ok ha . But seriously maybe I'm missing something.

Also for Rebels this wouldn't seem very useful, so haven't done it for them. Seem ok?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, but long whatever you can do tonight keep play time down is a plus.
I use the app for marking probed and visited systems, a bonus from that is you can record loyalty and it will calculate your build que as well. That is plaine awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Here we go again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Making a map is perfectly OK. It saves lots of time. Otherwise you have to keep looking at your probe cards and then trying to see which ones are missing. No fun for either side.

In most games, taking notes slows down the game, so I frown upon the practice. Not here.

After a dozen games, I find that I am getting to know the location of the planets by heart. I find that I don't have to write down the locations anymore. I can remember them.

Of course as always its a game. Ask your opponent. If they don't agree then don't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, taking notes or marking on a sheet is something the designer confirmed is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
It's a great game, but long whatever you can do tonight keep play time down is a plus.
I use the app for marking probed and visited systems, a bonus from that is you can record loyalty and it will calculate your build que as well. That is plaine awesome!

Which app is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the FAQ. The Imperial player is allowed to keep notes of where he has searched for the Rebel base. To me, "keeping notes" would include filling in a map.

We use them, and it makes the game much more satisfying for the Imperial player as he narrows down the search. I find this game hard enough for the Imperials without having to perform ongoing memory tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
Evil_X wrote:

Which app is this?

Perhaps this one? There may be others.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/128063/interactive-schema...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, never thought to link. blushblush

This is the app I am talking about. It is great!
Best Rebellion app ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't personally mark, but would encourage any player that frequently rechecks probes to do so. No need to give AP players another reason to slow down play by going through an existential crisis every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
This is the app I am talking about. It is great!
Best Rebellion app ever!
Haha, thanks for that
It's development was on hold for a couple of months but I want to pick it up very soon. And you comment just encouraged me to do so even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
To be honest, if you disallow map marking you're just being a bad loser.

You could play for hours and hours, and the empire player making one mistake ' that planet can't be the base ' could ruin the entire game for both of you.

Rebellion player : I won !

Empire player : my forces can space travel but their commander isn't allowed to use pen and paper?

Any person who thinks that is logical ~ I simply won't play against. Out of the 6 billion people on earth there's plenty of non-idiots to play this fine game against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, in a few games I've played, I've had the empire player just lay his probe cards directly on the board in front of me near the end of the game. To be honest, as the Rebel player it didn't really affect my decisions much at all. If I had to ditch a rebel base, I didn't have much choice at that point where I was going to go anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with a map app, so much easier. It cuts down on time too. You don't have to constantly look at the cards. I just look at my tablet. I don't see anything wrong with using it. Everyone I've played with uses it too. I would never play without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregarious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:

Shameless plug: rebellionmap.com
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1770395/new-probe-droid-map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.