Wade Mitchell
United States
LEBANON
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was going to be an insta-buy - one of my Top 3 movies, but I'm so disappointed with how little they used the IP. No Michael, Tom, Sonny, Clemenza, Luca Brasi...

I'll still get it because of the art, worker placement, Eric Lang, and CMON minis, but this such a wasted opportunity.

BG Media is raving about how you don't have to care about The Godfather to enjoy the game, but as a fan, I wanted more than a picture of Don Corleone in a mobster-themed game. This license deserves more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Agree, this is not related to the godfather in the slightest which makes me feel so let down, there is three movies and at least three books to go off for characters, places, stories and events!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully expansions may expand upon that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'll still get it because of the..."

That phrase is all that marketing cares about. To them it means, "Keep those thinly themed must-buy games coming!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd personally get it because it's a really fun game. The minis are so-so, the art on the resource cards is weak but it's still a really fun game.

I'll be buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get it because I liked the gameplay when I played it at Origins. I have seen too many IPs go off the rails because there was no gameplay. It was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Mitchell
United States
LEBANON
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
"I'll still get it because of the..."

That phrase is all that marketing cares about. To them it means, "Keep those thinly themed must-buy games coming!"

I will say though that if they had built their own mobster world instead of just slapping The Godfather on the cover, this would be in my cart instead of on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Mesa
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I think the game has just enough original content to be treated as a generic mobster game if you haven't seen the movie which is probably what they were trying to go for. If they had added all those other characters you mentioned then it may have alienated those who haven't seen the movies. Plus I have no idea how the game play could've be altered to fit the movies theme more. I personally think the game is fine as is and I'm definitely going to be getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just not a "story" game where events in the movie play out. It's a worker placement game, an engine-builder. The theme is just there to enhance the imagination about where these resources came from, and what they do.

Between the two pendulum swings, I'd much prefer a game that is a solid mechanic, with the theme lightly glued on, than a weaker game that is oozing different touches from the IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the title of your thread! Gave me a good chuckle. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm fine with a generic mobster game. But then don't have consumers pay an arm and a leg ($80 MSRP) for the IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
It's just not a "story" game where events in the movie play out. It's a worker placement game, an engine-builder. The theme is just there to enhance the imagination about where these resources came from, and what they do.

Between the two pendulum swings, I'd much prefer a game that is a solid mechanic, with the theme lightly glued on, than a weaker game that is oozing different touches from the IP.

The person who made the original post does not mention that they think this is a bad game. In any point they mentioned that a game should have weaker mechanism in order to make it more thematic.

So, I have to say that I agree with you. Mechanism and a solid game is more important than theme. Having said that, I agree 100% with the original post on this threat. I am still getting the game, because I think it is good and fun. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the Godfather. It is just a generic mafia game. Which it will be fine, it the game did have Godfather in the title. The only links that this game has to the Godfather thematically are:

- The first player marker is a horse head
- The turn marker is a figure of Don Corleone
- The name of the turns are arcs of the first movie
- The narcotics appears as a resource in their representative movie arc
- There is a picture of Don Corleone in the box and the back of the cards
- Some of the names of the business (maybe all of them, I will need to check) appear in the movie
- The police chief appears similar to the police chief in the movie

That is it. Then, the game is based on mobster going into people business and getting money/resource and then laundry that money. While that is very thematic gangster stuff, that is not what the movie/books of the Godfather are based on!!. Not at all!!.

The relations between this game and the Godfather are very subtle. That is what the original post is saying. It is saying that the game is bad or not. And it is the truth. This is not thematic at all, and a "bad" (not optimal) use of the license. If theme is not important, why using the IP then? I play more games for the mechanism that the theme. But if a game has an important IP, that needs to be part of the game. At it can be done, as several other games have proved.

As some else mention maybe an expansion can help a little. In summary, I still think I will enjoy this game as an area control game with mafia theme. But if an expansion does not help improve on the theme immersion, I will be a little sad playing the game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Mitchell
United States
LEBANON
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

Between the two pendulum swings, I'd much prefer a game that is a solid mechanic, with the theme lightly glued on, then a weaker game that is oozing different touches from the IP.

I agree, if I have to choose, I'll take the solid mechanics and glued on theme. I just don't see why I have to choose.

I am encouraged by fans posting here that have played the game saying that at least it is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could of had names of characters and artwork of characters in the game and it would not in any way effect the game play or people who dont know the movie but use the IP much better.

Its like they're using the IP to sell the game instead of them making a new Mafia themed game called "The Don" for instance and selling that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joelangdale7 wrote:
They could of had names of characters and artwork of characters in the game and it would not in any way effect the game play or people who dont know the movie but use the IP much better.

Its like they're using the IP to sell the game instead of them making a new Mafia themed game called "The Don" for instance and selling that.

Exactly. What a missed opportunity and a big let down.

+1 for "I'm still buying it, BUT..."

They better be working on the Here's All of The Actual Godfather Content expansion!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelangdale7 wrote:

Well, I'm not sure it would have solved the fundamental issue being raised to just paste on more names from the movie. (More artwork would have been good by any measure).

The fact is, this game is just not "about" the events that occurred in the movies. Naming some of the bosses and thugs after characters in the movie wouldn't have changed that, and would have essentially been an inconsistent departure from their characters in the movie.

The movie was about Michael -- how he returned from the war hoping to go "straight," but with an abiding love of his family that drew him into to being a murderous mob boss. Michael is the "Godfather" of the title, the new one that we watch transform before our eyes.

This game is simply not about that story. Full stop.

So the question left is whether it worked to adopt the setting of the movie to justify the naming it "The Godfather," or should they deliver something more of the things that happened in the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Simpson
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:
joelangdale7 wrote:

Exactly. What a missed opportunity and a big let down.

+1 for "I'm still buying it, BUT..."

I'll balance that with a -1 "taken it off my list".

For me the Eric Lang / CMON combo gave some comfort that the gameplay and components were probably going to be top-notch which is important, but the USP for this game was that it's The Godfather. If that theme isn't really there then it's just another game - might even be a great game (I haven't played it), but what makes it different and sets it apart?

I don't need any more games right now, so a small part of me is actually relieved that I no longer feel like this is a game I need to add to my collection, but to take such an iconic and popular IP which is largely untouched in board games so far, and make a more generic mobster game without the Corleone story coming through strong is absolutely a missed opportunity.

Hope to get to play it someday but won't be buying it before I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP, and am disappointed with all the missed opportunities. I'm guessing there were some major license restrictions which limited what they could use (almost everything is based of off one painting and the font, not much from the movie in terms of characters).

I'll try anything Eric Lang puts out right now, so it didn't really need to be the Godfather, unless it was really going to be the godfather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is "a lot" more "Godfather" in Nothing Personal Expansion Pack #3: Movies and TV (2015) than this boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Having never seen The Godfather, I am not disappouinted in the slightest by the gameplay. It's definitely a solid game, which I equate to if Monopoly were designed in Europe.

That being said I can definitely see how this would be disappointing to any Godfather fans if I put it into terms as a genre or series that I do follow. I.E. Naming the game The Avengers, but making the entire game where you play as agents of SHIELD or B-List heroes created exclusively for the game.

One thing that I did notice is that there appears to be storage compartments for additional minis in the box so we may see an expansion adding more story based characters, similar to how Blood Rage added the Gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Schauble
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blinko wrote:
I'll get it because I liked the gameplay when I played it at Origins. I have seen too many IPs go off the rails because there was no gameplay. It was fun!

Yeah, if it was completely tied to the Godfather, it would probably be a worse game and therefore sit on my shelf longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.