15 Posts

Mystic Vale» Forums » General

Subject: Does AEG own the card-crafting system? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I was super surprised that no other game came out using this system where you use transparent cards to build stronger cards.
I got MV expecting it to be the first of many, starting a trend. The game is OK but too simple IMO, similar to Ascension in that it creates an interesting system and makes for a light game that relies too heavily on luck in my opinion, and paves way for deeper games down the road.

And then... Nothing! Well, Custom Heroes and Edge of Darkness are coming but they're both from John D. Clair and AEG. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, on the contrary.

So, is no-one else allowed to use card-crafting? Are designers not impressed or interested by this mechanism?
Plastic cards are nothing new and I like Gloom myself for the silly game it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom Heroes are to be released sooner than EoD, but that's still AEG and John.

Do you know Gloom? Kind of similar design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually mentioned both these games in my opening post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday , haven't seen that. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No biggie, thanks for reading and answering anyway. Good luck making it through Monday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a quick process creating a game. There could be games with similar ideas coming, but might yet be a year or two away from being available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And in contrast to other games where someone might go "Hey, great idea, I'll design something similar", getting the actual cards manufactured is probably more difficult.

It took Dominion or Magic the Gathering spin-offs a year to come out, and there they only had to print cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that I didn't take the components into account. But I expected at least some announcement or a kickstarter campaign or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW the best game I know using transparent cards is still
Hecatomb
which unfortunately wasn't the success it should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a major court case last year which holds up the ruling that you can't copyright a game mechanic. Which is good for the industry. Otherwise games likes Cards Against Humanity and GURPS might never exist.

But trademarks still have to be respected. You can have dozens of CCGs rotate cards 90° to shows they've been activated but only in Magic do you "tap" them. Many RPGs have gamemasters. Only D&D has dungeonmasters.

So AEG can't stop you from using transparent cards and card sleeves. But try using their spirit symbols and you may have some splaining to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't be positive, but I swear I either read or heard that AEG purposely didn't try to patent the card crafting system. I imagine it's difficult to enforce a patent as a smaller company anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never saw AEG as a small company but it's not Asmodée is true.

Thanks folks. We'll have to check again in 1 year then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I never saw AEG as a small company but it's not Asmodée is true.

Yeah, I think they're doing alright for themselves.They're just a few miles away from here and they're super nice. Their reps come over to our game store frequently.

We had the chance to buy Mystic Vale a couple weeks earlier than other stores and it was a big hit at the store.

Last time I saw one of their reps, he invited me to a game of Guildhall: Fantasy. (I crushed him)

It makes me feel even better about supporting them knowing they're the "home team."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Clinton, that's awesome to hear.

I'm not part of the California crew, but next time I'm out that way we should get some games in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
Thanks Clinton, that's awesome to hear.

I'm not part of the California crew, but next time I'm out that way we should get some games in.

Sounds fun. You'll find our crew at Gameology in Montclair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.