Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
***Spoiler***no final insert plan***

So... The expansion arrived and I´m sure I´m not the only one with this problem right now. I want everything to fit in one box...
I saw the prototype of meeple realty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oexVKgHDJds around the 10 min mark) and was amazed. Especially the little ship hangars...
So my mind went a little hyperfocussed (I also waited for an important phone call this weekend that never came but the anxiety of waiting turned into manic planning ).
I did some fomecore projects in the past, but nothing huge but I thought to give it a try. For "expert" planning I even got into 3D modelling (https://www.tinkercad.com is super easy).
My foamcore insert should include:
- all ships, on their stands
- easy to access cards for missions, events, fame and sector tiles.
- easy to access for tokens

I tried for hours and hours and i came to the following conclusions...
- my laptop is too old for web based 3d modelling and shuts itself down from time to time... fun
- there is no problem putting all the cards, tokens and tiles into the box...
- the big problem are the ships!

I tried different ways for the ships. I started with a hangar design similar to the meeple realty one... but with 7 (or 8) ships per hangar they take up way too much space to also fit in the cards.
At the moment i have a self made "display cases" (foam core) in which the ships are one their sides and relatively snug fitted. I thought to advance this idea and even tried to save space by overlapping the ships bases. But still not enough.
I´m at a point to give up on the idea of the "all in one box" solution. I rewatched the meeple realty interview and they also don´t have much place left in their box... Their wood has less thickness, but I´m not sure how they want to put it all in I´m sure they will manage, but then it´s a question of how I get it in europe and also it doesn´t help me now

So my 2 box storage solution is easy: everything but the ships in the big box, all the ships in the small box. For a nice display of the ships I have my eye on "raster foam" for miniatures (e.g. found on https://www.feldherr.com/rasterschaumstoff/300-mm-x-300-mm/). Just cut it a little and put 2 or 3 layers in.

After long rambeling, i got a few questions for the brave souls who stuck with me until here

Does anyone have experience with raster foam? I thought about 10mm normal foam mat, 25mm raster foam for the ships shapes and 10mm/20mm to cover up and hold them in place (the box height is 50mm)

Does anyone already thought about this problem and came up with a cool solution (other than taking the ships of the standees ) ?

At the moment I fit everything in one box... but it´s a hot mess and not "easy" to put in and set it up. What´s more important to you. Shelf space and tranportability or a quick set up and cool storage solution? Is XIA just one of th games you bring to a meetup or is it a planned event.
For me it´s mostly planned and so I think I prefer the quick setup, because the 2nd box is not that much more to transport.

So...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is my in work solution for the ships. I only just started.

I'm going to put sticks on foamcore underneath the 'stems' of the ships with notches in it so the ships dont move around - havent got that far yet....pretend.

Its about 4.5 cm high (including foamcore), and is the width of the box (28cm ish) x 16cm.

Photo of the box with the other larger components laid out for an idea of space.

Should be enough space to fit another 2.5cm layer on top of this for outfits or damage/cargo - will work that out as i go.

I dont use any programs, just lay it all out on the table, pen and paper some measurements and see how it goes. I stuffed around with all sorts of layouts for the ships after seeing that insert as well (sweet) but couldnt make it work without taking up half the box.

Feeling confident it will fit , layout of the outfits is my next thing to sort out. Can let you know how i go if your happy to wait a few more days (or maybe a week devil).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I laid out the ships for the minimum of required space

Put that into a "box" and there was room left above it for the shipmats (with a small tray for dice and special tokens. what else you can do with a few cm space left?) But then I still ran into the problem with the space for outfits. Dividing them takes up a lot of space...

This is my "now state" minus ship mats and rules which covers all up on top. You can see one "display case" and one ugly but weirdly effective concuction for the outfits... But i plan to use "one size fit all" 60mmx100mmx25mm trays with one extra for the expansion outfits. So 5 in total...
For ressources I was thinking of making two trays whith ressources+money+damage for different sides of the table. But with the economy board, ressources are better at one place.

The reason why I want to plan it out with a program, other than tht i didn´t had foamcore on hand, is that I´m not that good with it yet so i don´t feel secure enough to "just start"... thats´s how the "outfit jigsaw puzzle" was created. I just started

But I´m looking forward to your end result. This week I´m super busy and don´t have the time to get to the craft table anyways
And if everythiing fits into one box.. i definitly steal the plans from you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Phase 1 continued.
Pretty happy with this, although the ships can still move around a bit...not sure if i need to put in some foam core "chocks" to stop movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
awesome.
would you mind posting the dimensions of the compartment. The way the ships are sorted could safe more space, than my optimized "chaos".
Keep on the good work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netreya Wolfheart
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool I love your concepts!

I have more of a lazy approach and just threw all the ships in one compartment whistle

I made a card stack section with dividers wich work quite well ( sadly you can't really see it in the pictures)

And a portable card holder for the space tiles since we had the problem with an toppling stack.

The "good thing" about the lazy approach is, it only took me about 3 hours to build and everything fits perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But but but...
Looks cool. But I wanted to get rid of baggies and chaos
Cool design and more time efficient... I spend way more than 3 hours in planning and modelling and didn´t even start with building it
Maybe i should put a stop to my " everything has to be perfect" approach and just enjoy the "chaos" that comes from emptying a baggy of damage markers into a pile on the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netreya Wolfheart
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with this Game you have to pick two to three things you find most important and the rest components just have to deal with the space that's left

There might be a perfect space solution for everything out there but I'm to impatient to find it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff - however I will persist with working on a no baggies solution.

I'm also trying to squeeze an extra 15-20 custom sectors in to the box as well, so unfortunately i cant copy the nice little sectors storage section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would not recommend the Raster foam from Feldherr because the glue can stick on things maybe.... (man i hate it for me Blood Bowl teams when i can't slide them over the field).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my foamcore this weekend (OK, so not 100% complete, but the foamcore part is done!). And it all fits (no custom parts!) in the base game box.

Ship Components (Weapons, Missiles, Shields, Engines, all Mods) in one tray. Money in another tray.

Resources, Relics, Bounty Marks, Event tokens, Damage tokens in another tray.

The ships - on stands! Kept upright! By the miracle of Magnets (HOW DO THEY WORK?!) (to be completed)

Sectors and Cards - non-removable area, kept in the box. Player pieces all baggied, stored in gap between sectors and cards.

I've picked up a pack of 50 neodymium magnets online (for a whopping $3!). They're great for things like this: 5mm x 1mm - perfect if centered under the base, they aren't visible when upright, and far enough away they won't cause neighbouring ships to snap at each other.

The only thing missing in my setup is the base for the ships to stick to: A sheet of ducting / something at your local dollar store, cut to size and glued to the bottom of the ship area. Ships WILL stand on it, and are easy to remove.

I'll have that part wrapped up this weekend, but till then... the theory stands! And, if you're good at Foamcore construction (I am NOT, but it's only my second project), you'll likely see better ways of handling all this. But it's a good start I think... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To sleeve the cards or not?

If you don't sleeve them they can be stored flat or sideways.

If you sleeve they have to lay flat - sideways on 5mm foamcore they sit slightly (almost less than 1mm) above the side of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you don't want to store them flat, make the area for card storage a little bigger and store the cards sideways and slightly tilted (view from side //// ) in the box so the lid will fit.

Or store all the cards in a couple of Ultra Pro basic plastic deck boxes. They fit perfectly in the Xia box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yolandavi wrote:
Or store all the cards in a couple of Ultra Pro basic plastic deck boxes. They fit perfectly in the Xia box.

Ive never used those - stupid question, i assume sleeved cards fit inside the deck box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Ultra Pro deck box card count is always for sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - ive made some progess - almost finished really.

So this is how it all fits in.
Note that the foamcore containing all the plastic bags is still a WIP (glue still drying - held in with pins, no dividers put in yet) and i shall sort that out - but just showing that everything definitely fits.

This also contains 19 custom sectors in there so without that this would have fit even better. Ship mats are under the sector tiles.

This is removing the top layer (the one thats in progress)

Then this is with the other layers taken out.

Still some work to do cleaning a few things up (may swap out foamcore card holder for a deck box, etc), but should give an idea of how its progressing and where it will roughly end up.

I'm pretty happy this should help with a quick set up and keep the table mess a bit more contained in a pretty sprawling game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Just finished my foamcore today that includes the base game and the expansion. I have 5 little baggies for the starting items for each player. Credits are in 2 small containers from the dollar store. This was my first big project. Now the game takes very little time to setup. Just lay out the trays on the table and shuffle some cards and sector tiles. The tray for the ships are divided by tier. Top being comets and NPCs, then 1,2 then 3 at the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildinferno wrote:
This was my first big project.

Impressive.

I prefer the layout of your cards to mine, but for me those extra tiles take up too much space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a stickler for putting every same type component in a compartment and removing all bags. However, as much as I like the organization concept of this for storing the game, its primary purpose is to be played. I found that setting up a game that is organized like this took a little bit of extra time as I needed to fish out all the necessary components from their respective compartments for each player. I now approach my organizational methods with the idea of making setup as quick as possible. To this end, I put in bags or bins everything each player will need so I can simply hand them out to each player. For example, I put a reference card, starting coins, energy markers, player color disc, outlaw disc, dice (each player has their own set of dice) all in small bags. This way after picking out a ship, each player can take their bag of components and begin setting this all up while I set up the rest of the game. I do this will all my games and it makes setup so much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imelin Cain
msg tools
mbmbmb
Damn, you all put some serious work into your boxes!

I got everything to fit in to the original box with the original inserts. The only real trick was putting the replaced pieces under the black insert, and then using a large rubber band to keep the sectors + economy board + rikishi together. I can fit all the baggies into the wells, with the ship mats and instructions on top of everything on the left.

Here is the instructions I wrote out to help me remember:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sagyP-WHK3e-4YaB0gitpL-P...

Yes, I use baggies. I transport games around quite a big, and absolutely hate it when things get jumbled in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
I used to be a stickler for putting every same type component in a compartment and removing all bags. However, as much as I like the organization concept of this for storing the game, its primary purpose is to be played. I found that setting up a game that is organized like this took a little bit of extra time as I needed to fish out all the necessary components from their respective compartments for each player. I now approach my organizational methods with the idea of making setup as quick as possible. To this end, I put in bags or bins everything each player will need so I can simply hand them out to each player. For example, I put a reference card, starting coins, energy markers, player color disc, outlaw disc, dice (each player has their own set of dice) all in small bags. This way after picking out a ship, each player can take their bag of components and begin setting this all up while I set up the rest of the game. I do this will all my games and it makes setup so much easier.

I agree with your thoughts about the primary purpose being to play - but i find that this kind of foamcore setup makes it quicker to set up and play. Thats definitely a focus i have as i build it.

So with that in mind, i previously found having the ships in the regular insert was cumbersome - too big to pass around the table, same with the damage counters, cargo cubes and ship mods. Now they are all in there own little compartments which will be taken straight out of the box, put on the table and we are ready to play. set up time = 15 seconds. I find having to pull everything out of the baggies take me a lot longer than that and then adds mess to the table anyway.

I agree with the 'player pieces'. I currently have those in individual bags each (except the cards) and would normally make a little foam core box for each player - but I was running a little short on space and I havent finished that section off yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Waspman wrote:
Wouldn't the easiest solution just to be to take the ships off the stands?

Agreed. I store them without the stands on in a plastic bin... Tier 1 ships in one compartment, Tier 2 ships in another compartment, Tier 3 ships in another compartment, and NPCs in another compartment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fyloux fyloux
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
I have just finished my foamcore, in order to keep the expensions' box ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shi Ma
msg tools
This is what I did to fit it all in the main box.

I took a lot of my design influences from the previous posts in this thread and used them to create an insert to accomplish my main priorities: everything fits in one box, the box can close fully, the box can be stored sideways without the contents getting jumbled, and makes setup easier. Xia is certainly one of the bigger games I have so it'll likely lay flat on a shelf, but the box art is really nice that being able to display it standing up is a bonus.

Fitting 12mm's worth of ship sheets was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

The ship section was probably my favorite part of building the insert and one of the most involved. Using three sections of foamcore, I cut one to fit the round base, then paste it to the main wall, cut another section to only fit the stem and paste that to the previous layer. Most ships needed to be slotted with the nose facing up, some were too long and had to be slightly off to the side, and two comets are placed freely between ships.

I wanted to make a slot for discarded missions, and during setup, that's where the first player token is located.

Section for other cards and dice. I bought extra dice for both sides of the table.

The other 'most involved' section. It took me a few tries to maneuver all the ship addons to fit the way I wanted while still making sure they could be easily picked up.

Closed all the way.

I did the flip and shake test and the only things that came loose were the metal coins which, upon seeing, I opted to keep in plastic bags. Another option could be to create two separate trays, one on the other, and create a lid for them. Honestly, they don't take up much space. The players tray could also use a lid just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love it. Even some sleeved cars...
now i´m even more sad, that I didn´t find the time to try one myself...
But soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.