Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb

This came up tonight, with a random board set up. Yellow moves next to the obstacle strip. Can they draw a cave tile? We ruled yes at the time, but I suspect the correct answer is no. The obstacle strip is regarded as terrain, we think, so yellow isn’t adjacent to the cave yet.

If yellow clears the obstacle, we assume they must move again to draw a cave tile. Or would removing the obstacle be considered “movement”, and allow a cave tile to be drawn?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Greiner
Germany
flag msg tools
Wow, good question and an interesting special case that didn't come up during testing!

Coming from the theme, I would say no, Yellow cannot reach the cave yet as there is still something in the way.
Removing does technically count as movement though (as you play a card to "move" across the obstacle), so Yellow would draw a tile then - given they are still next to the cave after the movement of the whole card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - that all makes sense, and I’ll make some notes in my rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Winter

Neufahrn b. Freising
Deutschland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceTrainerGabri wrote:

Removing does technically count as movement though (as you play a card to "move" across the obstacle), so Yellow would draw a tile then - given they are still next to the cave after the movement of the whole card.

Correct. Also note, that if another player removes the obstacle. You do not end your movement next to the cave, since you did not move. But if you remove it it counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceTrainerGabri wrote:
... so Yellow would draw a tile then - given they are still next to the cave after the movement of the whole card.

This bit is confusing me slightly - we need to complete a card next to a cave to draw a tile? You can't simply move past and collect a tile on the way?

I did the first translation of this, and ran Caves past a native German speaker/gamer, who seemed a little puzzled by the wording of the rules. I've never been quite convinced we have been playing Caves correctly.

Also, how official are your answers? You mention testing ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Winter

Neufahrn b. Freising
Deutschland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just treat the obstacle as another tile as Long as it exists. Also my answers are probably as official as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Greiner
Germany
flag msg tools
dougadamsau wrote:
You can't simply move past and collect a tile on the way?

I did the first translation of this, and ran Caves past a native German speaker/gamer, who seemed a little puzzled by the wording of the rules.

You have to end your movement (of one card) next to the cave to collect a tile. Then you may play the next card to continue moving. Simply passing it with one card does not give you a tile.
We updated that passage in the rules in the new edition, since we got the feedback that it was tricky to understand.

Siviral wrote:
Also note, that if another player removes the obstacle. You do not end your movement next to the cave, since you did not move. But if you remove it it counts.

Thank you for the remark. That is absolutely correct!

dougadamsau wrote:

I'm one of the two editors working on the game - check my name in the rules. It's great that you guys appreciate the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thank you both Daniel and Phillip. Best of luck in a couple of weeks in Berlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceTrainerGabri wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:
You can't simply move past and collect a tile on the way?

I did the first translation of this, and ran Caves past a native German speaker/gamer, who seemed a little puzzled by the wording of the rules.

You have to end your movement (of one card) next to the cave to collect a tile. Then you may play the next card to continue moving. Simply passing it with one card does not give you a tile.
We updated that passage in the rules in the new edition, since we got the feedback that it was tricky to understand.

Siviral wrote:
Also note, that if another player removes the obstacle. You do not end your movement next to the cave, since you did not move. But if you remove it it counts.

Thank you for the remark. That is absolutely correct!

dougadamsau wrote:

I'm one of the two editors working on the game - check my name in the rules. It's great that you guys appreciate the game!

Sorry to be bumping up an old thread, just wanted to make sure. What you're saying is, I can continue moving during the same turn after I pick up a cave tile, is this correct?

For instance, during the same turn I can do:

1 machete - move, then
1 machete - move - stopped next to a cave, picked up a tile (let it be a machete, too), then
another machete - move, then
say, the tile I picked (1 machete) - move once more

Is this correct?

Also, one more question. I know you can't play 1+1 to move onto a 2, but can you play a 3 to move onto a 1 and then a 2?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Rivas
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do the cards represent a pool of currencies? Like imagine a path of hexes that goes, a (2)Machete hex, a (1)Coin hex then a (1)Machete hex and I have a (1)Coin card and a (3)Machete card, can I split up the "Pool" of 3 Machete power to pay the 2 for the first hex space, pay the coin, then use the "remaining" 1 Machete to move from coin to the last forest tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If the 1 machete was immediately after the 2 machete you could use the 3 card to traverse both, but you can't interrupt a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
More Meeples
msg tools
Philipp Winter, why do you say your answers are offical? What role do you have with the game? I think OP confused you with the editor for a while there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.