Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Battles and Wargames of the Day"

This is a new series of threads.

The concept is to mark remembrance of important battles that took place or started on a specific day during the month that is mentioned in the title of thread.

Presence or absence of related wargames that you would like to mention or recommend would be appreciated, with as many details as you see fit.

This series of threads is about battles and wargames only, not about other historical events that might have taken place during that month.

EDIT: You are not required to follow the chronological order, but the battle must be "known" to have taken place in July, taking in account the various official calendars in use at the time.

People who want more details and want to follow the time-ordering should go this excellent GeekList:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/63242/day-every-day-histo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: ]Battles and Wargames of the Day: July
July 1st:

At the Battle of Taginae (also known as the Battle of Busta Gallorum) in June/July 552, the forces of the Byzantine Empire under Narses broke the power of the Ostrogoths in Italy, and paved the way for the temporary Byzantine reconquest of the Italian Peninsula.

Totila, king of the Ostrogoths, dies during this battle.

King Totila

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Taginae

I could not find a specific board wargame for this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 2nd:

The Battle of Brissarthe was fought on 2 July 866[1]), between the Franks and a joint Breton-Viking army near Brissarthe, Neustria. It was marked by the death of Robert the Strong, the Neustrian margrave, and Ranulf I, the duke of Aquitaine.

In 866, Salomon, Duke of Brittany, allied with Hastein (Hasting), a Danish chieftain, for an expedition into Anjou, Maine, and Touraine. In the course of the campaign, Le Mans was sacked. Robert, commander of the afflicted regions, assembled a large army to expel them. He was joined by Ranulf of the region of Poitou and Gauzfrid and Hervé of Maine.

The Frankish army succeeded in intercepting the Danes before they reached their boats on the Loire River. The Danes attempted to take refuge in a church, but the Franks besieged them. During the night, the Danes attempted to escape. During the ensuing battle, Robert was killed, Ranulf mortally wounded by an arrow, and Hervé injured. With the loss of their leaders, the Franks had to retreat.

In 867, Charles the Bald entered negotiations with Salomon and recognised him as King of Brittany. He conceded the Cotentin and possibly the Avranchin to the Breton. Hastein continued to ravage the Loire Valley for many more years. He and his forces attacked Bourges in 867, Orléans in 868, and Angers in 872. Charles appealed for assistance to Salomon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brissarthe

King Salomon of Brittany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon,_King_of_Brittany

As far as I can tell, there is no specific board wargame about this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 3rd:

The Battle of Adrianople was fought on July 3, 324 during a Roman civil war, the second to be waged between the two emperors Constantine I and Licinius; Licinius suffered a heavy defeat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Adrianople_(324)

Constantine I

No specific board wargames exist about this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Langston
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the A La Charge series from Vae Victus, Le Rois Francs has the battle of Brissarthe as the third scenario.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/107372/les-rois-fran...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of Marston Moor, 2 July 1644
War: First English Civil War
Outcome: Decisive Parliamentarian/Covenanter victory

A combined forces of the English Parliamentarians under Lord Fairfax and the Earl of Manchester and the Scottish Covenanters under the Earl of Leven defeated the Royalists commanded by Prince Rupert of the Rhine and the Marquess of Newcastle. Unsuccessfully fought to try to relieve the siege of Royalist York, and the largest battle of the Civil War.

After their defeat the Royalists effectively abandoned Northern England, losing much of the manpower from the northern counties of England (which were strongly Royalist in sympathy) and also losing access to the European continent through the ports on the North Sea coast. Although they partially retrieved their fortunes with victories later in the year in Southern England, the loss of the north was to prove a fatal handicap the next year, when they tried unsuccessfully to link up with the Scottish Royalists under the Marquess of Montrose.

There are a few wargames covering the battle including a S&T game using the 30 Years War Quad series rules, but none of them seem really inspiring or capture the true flavour of the Wars.

Prince Rupert's famous white hunting poodle, Boye, was a casualty of the Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
July 1-3 of course saw the Battle of Gettysburg.

And a guy on twitter (an army officer and historian) "live-tweeted" it...

The Summer of 1863 is an interesting light wargame on the Gettysburg campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Königgrätz July 3rd 1866

A fascinating battle that helped to shape the future of Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mers-el-Kébir was July 3, 1940.

I don't think there's anything specific on this attack. Best you can hope for is a WW2 game with French naval units in Africa. But even then, can you attack them as the British?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Hattin , also known as the Battle of the Horns of Hattin, was fought on 4 July 1187 between the Crusader States and the Ayyubid sultanate's army of Salah ad-Din (otherwise known as Saladin)

Saladin's forces captured or killed the vast majority of the Crusader forces, effectively end their capability to wage war. As a result Jerusalem and several other Crusader-held cities fell to Muslim forces, prompting the launch of the Third Crusade, which began two years after the Battle of Hattin.

I'm just approaching the end of a biography of Sir Steven Runciman, the author of the standard English language History of the Crusades in three volumes. Whilst I would recommend the history I cannot say I would recommend this biography - it comes in at 680 pages and needed a bloody good editor to tell the author to cut it by (at least) half.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History_of_the_Crusades
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n20/rosemary-hill/herberts-and-her...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 4th:

The Battle of Mantinea was fought on July 4, 362 BC between the Thebans, led by Epaminondas and supported by the Arcadians and the Boeotian league against the Spartans, led by King Agesilaus II and supported by the Eleans, Athenians, and Mantineans. The battle was to determine which of the two alliances would have hegemony over Greece. However, the death of Epaminondas and his intended successors coupled with the impact on the Spartans of yet another defeat weakened both alliances, and paved the way for Macedonian conquest led by Philip II of Macedon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mantinea_(362_BC)

No board wargame only focused on this battle, but it can be replayed within Lost Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
July 3rd, 1754 - Battle of Great Meadows, French and Indian War

After learning of the attack at Jumonville Glen, Claude-Pierre Pecaudy de Contrecoeur, the veteran French commander at Fort Duquesne, ordered Captain Louis Coulon de Villiers, Ensign Jumonville's brother, to assail Washington and his force near Great Meadows. De Villiers left Fort Duquesne with nearly 600 French soldiers and Canadian militiamen, accompanied by 100 native allies.

Aware of the onset of a powerful French column, Washington busily fortified his position at Great Meadows. Despite receiving additional reinforcements, Washington's bedraggled force of around 400 men remained outnumbered by the approaching French. Even more concerning, the small circular wooden fort – named Fort Necessity - built in the center of the meadow was poorly situated and vulnerable to fire from the nearby wooded hills that circled the position.

On July 1, 1754, the large combined French and native forces reached the Great Meadows. Washington gathered his troops and retreated into Fort Necessity where on a rainy July 3rd the French began firing on the surrounded English. Sensing the hopelessness of his situation, Washington agreed to surrender to the French. The surrender terms, written in French, poorly translated, and soaking wet allowed Washington and his troops to return to Virginia in peace, but one clause in the document had Washington admitting that he had "assassinated" Ensign Jumonville – something that Washington hotly contested despite his signature on the document.

The Battle of Great Meadows proved to be the only time that Washington surrendered to an enemy in battle.

Source: www.mountvernon.org

Games:
Wilderness War
Wilderness Empires
Hold the Line: The French & Indian War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardly a battle though with those numbers. "The Skirmish of Great Meadows" maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Wagram (5th/6th July 1809) was the last major battle of the 1809 Campaign during the Napoleonic Wars that ended in a decisive victory for Emperor Napoleon I's French and Allied Army of Germany against the Austrian army under the command of Archduke Charles.

The outcome of the battle led to the breakup of the Fifth Coalition, the Austrian and British-led alliance against France, with the Treaty of Schönbrunn resulting in the loss of one sixth of the Austrian Empire's subjects, along with some territories.

It was the largest battle of the Napoleonic War thus far, with over 300,000 combatants, and with the largest butchers bill - with between 60,000 and 70,000 combined casualties with the Austrians suffering only slightly more than the French/Allied army. It was notable for the high proportion of artillery casualties, being fought on a wide open featureless plain in the most part, and the formation of a huge Grand Battery that the French used in part of occupy a part of the front when they were running short of troops but which did great murder to the Austrian facing Corps.

I have this Wagram as part of the SPI Quad. It was okay - NAW rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation Citadel, the German offensive at Kursk, begins on July 5, 1943. I'm pretty sure there's at least one game about It.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:
The Battle of Wagram (5th/6th July 1809) was the last major battle of the 1809 Campaign during the Napoleonic Wars that ended in a decisive victory for Emperor Napoleon I's French and Allied Army of Germany against the Austrian army under the command of Archduke Charles.

The outcome of the battle led to the breakup of the Fifth Coalition, the Austrian and British-led alliance against France, with the Treaty of Schönbrunn resulting in the loss of one sixth of the Austrian Empire's subjects, along with some territories.

It was the largest battle of the Napoleonic War thus far, with over 300,000 combatants, and with the largest butchers bill - with between 60,000 and 70,000 combined casualties with the Austrians suffering only slightly more than the French/Allied army. It was notable for the high proportion of artillery casualties, being fought on a wide open featureless plain in the most part, and the formation of a huge Grand Battery that the French used in part of occupy a part of the front when they were running short of troops but which did great murder to the Austrian facing Corps.

I'm extremely jealous: I had been waiting for 10 days to come on this thread and shout: "WAGRAM!". A battle that is very dear to my heart, for when I was a teenager some 25 years ago, there was this rather beautiful girl who lived right next to the Wagram metro station in Paris, and yes, the mind works in very strange ways. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone. Mind we're going to have to wait a while for June 18th to come around again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 5th:

The naval Battle of Chesme took place on 5–7 July 1770 near and in Çeşme (Chesme or Chesma) Bay, in the area between the western tip of Anatolia and the island of Chios, which was the site of a number of past naval battles between the Ottoman Empire and the Republic of Venice. It was a part of the Orlov Revolt of 1769, a precursor to the later Greek War of Independence (1821–29), and the first of a number of disastrous fleet battles for the Ottomans against Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chesma

The are no specific board wargames about this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:

I have this Wagram as part of the SPI Quad. It was okay - NAW rule set.

The are about a half-dozen games on Wagram in the BGG database.

The most recent is Wagram 1809. Is this game being currently played ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:
You are not alone. Mind we're going to have to wait a while for June 18th to come around again...

The Kinks were one of the top bands of the Sixties. Very original and innovative. Their music is stil fresh to my ears as I listen to them currently.

We can continue the discussion in the Music and Wargames thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landsdown(e), 5 July 1643. ECL. Royalists win the hill, but at great cost.

There's a game called Hopton vs. Waller that covers it.
Found a nice map online:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of St. Louis, 1780. Like it so much, I just published a book about it and am preparing a game on it as well!

wwww.facebook.com/SteveKlingBOS/?ref=bookmarks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 6th:

The Battle of Leuctra (Greek: Λεῦκτρα, Leûktra) was a battle fought on July 6, 371 BC, between the Boeotians led by Thebans and the Spartans along with their allies amidst the post-Corinthian War conflict. The battle took place in the neighbourhood of Leuctra, a village in Boeotia in the territory of Thespiae. The Theban victory shattered Sparta’s immense influence over the Greek peninsula, which Sparta had gained since its victory in the Peloponnesian War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leuctra

Again, you can find this battle in Lost Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlfyB wrote:

I'm extremely jealous: I had been waiting for 10 days to come on this thread and shout: "WAGRAM!". A battle that is very dear to my heart, for when I was a teenager some 25 years ago, there was this rather beautiful girl who lived right next to the Wagram metro station in Paris, and yes, the mind works in very strange ways. blush

"A Wagram is better than a damn", according to BNW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone else with OCD having a meltdown because these aren't listed on this page in chronological order?

Just me then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.