Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Tiny Epic Defenders» Forums » Variants

Subject: Throw out random hero activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I had one BIG issue with TED = hero's random activation! So I made up my own variant:

- Pick for the game as many hero/ally cards as you normally would (total of 4) but don't shuffle them into turn deck. Instead keep them face up near by. During the game players decide when will they use their activation cards. Once a card is used tap it / flip it/ put some token on it to make sure you won't activate it twice in the same round.

Some restrictions to keep the game challenging:
- players may activate only 1 card between enemy cards.
- players can't activate their cards at the start of the round before 1st enemy card but they can do that after last enemy card is resolved
but still only 1 card.
- those restrictions means you won't use one of the cards in the 1st round since you will have only 3 enemy cards in the deck.

Played with those rules 5 games so far and it is much more enjoyable and thinky!!! Reminds me a lot about Ghost Stories but with better theme and without that annoyingly random dice

edit:
1. I'm thinking about adding a clockwise order of activating players. Must try it...
2. One thing bad in this variant for me is when big bad boss shows up - than all players drops defending and go straight to fightin him ASAP (most of the time).
3. Yes it makes the game easier but less swingy - if you find it to easy just adjust: play at harder level or not gain extra actions once some regions are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would kill off all the joy and challenge I get out of the game. Yes, not knowing exactly when you can act can be harsh at times, but otherwise the game is simply much too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like it the way it is.

A middle-ground alternative would be to randomize the player turn cards separately from the bad deck. Then insert the randomized turn cards at regular intervals throughout the deck. You still wouldn't know who is going when, but you would know that the players wouldn't all be going at the start or end of the round.

With this, you are not creating any different situation than might happen randomly under the normal rules. It would make setting up the deck for each cycle a bit more time-consuming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AernoutMJC wrote:
This would kill off all the joy and challenge I get out of the game. Yes, not knowing exactly when you can act can be harsh at times, but otherwise the game is simply much too easy.

I played 3 games so far with my rules and I barely won just one of them at normal level so difficulty is not an issue for me but I understand how such variant can kill some joy from the game since it deletes lots of randomnes from it and the game becomes much more thinky than original - I like it that way, some may not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peakhope wrote:
Personally, I like it the way it is.

A middle-ground alternative would be to randomize the player turn cards separately from the bad deck. Then insert the randomized turn cards at regular intervals throughout the deck. You still wouldn't know who is going when, but you would know that the players wouldn't all be going at the start or end of the round.

With this, you are not creating any different situation than might happen randomly under the normal rules. It would make setting up the deck for each cycle a bit more time-consuming.

My last game was smth similar - starting each round I shuffled players and evil cards separately than added 2 players cards to each half of the evil deck and shuffled again. Then put one half at the other. Done.

Still random but less swingy. Doesn't add that much extra time to be a problem. My prefered way to play the game for now!!!

ps. next time I'm going to try smth in addition: if your card shows up, you can wait with taking actions until another hero's card shows up. Then one of the cards must be resolved before drawing another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.