Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about grabbing the base game (maybe expansions if needed); however, I was wondering how it has held up against newer area control/dice placement games? I'm a big fan of area control with scythe, blood rage and cyclades being some of my favorite games. I'm just unsure whether I should go with AF or a newer game like Solarius Mission. I also see over 200 people willing to trade this game which makes me nervous that it doesn't have staying power, and I keep a pretty small collection. All opinions are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
It is pretty good. I do recommend the agenda modul from Factions. Alien tech cards are fun, but not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing it for 3 years, it's still my 6th favorite game in my top 100. I like the Outer Belt expansion most, but do like everything for it, check out my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
After playing it for 3 years, it's still my 6th favorite game in my top 100. I like the Outer Belt expansion most, but do like everything for it, check out my review.

Thanks, I did read your review. Does the game get stale without expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Alien tech cards are fun, but not necessary.

Do you mean all the new alien tech cards? Because alien tech is a core mechanic of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
cheng wrote:
Bastion wrote:
Alien tech cards are fun, but not necessary.

Do you mean all the new alien tech cards? Because alien tech is a core mechanic of the game.

Yes, all the small card expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

Thanks, I did read your review. Does the game get stale without expansions?

70% of the time or more I play with Outer Belt, about 20% of the time I play with both expansions.

But I think its fine without expansions.

I may be playing it tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:
I'm thinking about grabbing the base game (maybe expansions if needed); however, I was wondering how it has held up against newer area control/dice placement games? I'm a big fan of area control with scythe, blood rage and cyclades being some of my favorite games. I'm just unsure whether I should go with AF or a newer game like Solarius Mission. I also see over 200 people willing to trade this game which makes me nervous that it doesn't have staying power, and I keep a pretty small collection. All opinions are welcome!

It just had a new printing. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/alien-fronti... My bet is that a lot of those 200 have already ordered the new edition with more bling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
bgamern8 wrote:

It just had a new printing. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/alien-fronti... My bet is that a lot of those 200 have already ordered the new edition with more bling

I just found out about this new edition. Your probably right that they are most likely purging their old editions. Can anyone comment on whether there are any games that fired Alien Frontiers for them? Or is AF king among area control dice placement games!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's king of dice placement here. For Area Control we have wargames we think does it better. AF is for when you don't want to play a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also forgot to mention, AF is an Area-Majority game. Some people make a distinction between Area-Majority and Area-Control, where Control == 'you are the only player in the area'. If this is what you require in an Area Control game, AF isn't the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.