21 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Possibly missing the right information (Box 5 spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Chamberlain
msg tools
Hi

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but the spoilery nature of the game makes it hard to track down what has and hasn't been asked before. We've opened box 5, and have
Spoiler (click to reveal)
interrogated a number of society member. We know of the secret writing on the tomb map, and know that tablets have hidden numbers on them.

Now, being the intelligent sort of freebooters we are, we've worked out that getting the right sequence of three numbers will equate to a passage in the Captain's Book, but don't know what to do with it, or when we can use this information.

Are we right to hold off until we get a booke entry that says, you go somewhere (possibly a tomb, possibly a statue), translate the numbers and go to that section in the book? Or can we just look at the book entry as soon as we know what the three numbers are?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Togashi Dai wrote:
We know of the secret writing on the tomb map, and know that tablets have hidden numbers on them.

Now, being the intelligent sort of freebooters we are, we've worked out that getting the right sequence of three numbers will equate to a passage in the Captain's Book, but don't know what to do with it, or when we can use this information.

As the numbers are on the tomb map, you need to navigate to a tomb, then choose one of the entries; then you can choose a secret entry, if you know the correct translation of the symbols, then go to that entry number (without telling anyone which entry number you used) and read it out loud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Chamberlain
msg tools
Thanks. Rereading the Tomb exploration rule it just says to pick a entry from the map - I guess once you can translate the symbols they would be entries.

In our game, two players both have two tablets so neither of us has the full picture at the moment - it'll be a race to see who gets the third tablet and can get to a tomb to explore the secret areas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you already enjoy raiding each others vaults it will be a long and potentially endless race. In a group of four players three of us have three tablets and none of us match more than two symbols. We've actually decided as a group to simply ignore them and concentrate on getting as close to 30 explore as we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Togashi Dai wrote:
In our game, two players both have two tablets so neither of us has the full picture at the moment - it'll be a race to see who gets the third tablet and can get to a tomb to explore the secret areas

It's usually pretty easy to Raid a tablet out of an opponent's treasury... just sayin'... devil

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Togashi Dai wrote:

It's usually pretty easy to Raid a tablet out of an opponent's treasury... just sayin'... devil

Kevin

Really? Once I activate three colonies and throw out the starting enmity to the behind player(s) I no longer have the five enmity I'd need to leave for hitting a vault. Unless we have something horribly wrong with our understanding of the raiding rules, but "If an action would require more enmity tokens than you have available to spend. you may not take that action" seems absolute with the [5] on the vault. I suppose I could not activate a colony, but the time to do the raid and then explore before a counter-raid that takes a tablet back while risking a "you got four wood from the supply that doesn't have any wood" result just seems pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they might be able to do it to you, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Chamberlain
msg tools
Spoilers for some advisor and tablet abilities
The Pirate lets you reduce the Enmity placed by 2 - if you can combine this with the Bloody Scoundrel (take back 2 Enmity before exhausting) and the Cryptic Tablet (take back 2 Enmity) you should be able to take what you want, and can set yourself up for another attack next winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Togashi Dai wrote:
...and then explore before a counter-raid that takes a tablet back...

You don't have to still own the tablet. As long as you had it at any point in the past- to get the secret information on it- you can use its number code.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just don't activate all of your colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Or just don't activate all of your colonies.

Brilliant. I could do the thing I said I could do - not gain the benefit of an earlier game for the off chance I can successfully raid. An action, I might add, my exploration-heavy ships are ill-equipped for, and the result of which might result in an exploration with little or no reward.

The point isn't that I can't get someone's tablet. The point is it would take all game (since we now rarely pass 8 turns) and has a decent chance of getting me nothing. The tablet battle is fine for groups that spent 12 games attacking each other but it falls short for games of merchants & explorers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, come on. Getting 5 successes Raiding is easy. All it takes is a good advisor and a few fortune tokens. 3+1 dice for your AT START ships, -1 for your opponent's garrison (this is seldom improved!) and

4 to 6 or even 7 dice for an improved advisor.

Add some fortune tokens (this is not a dangerous site!) [edit: actually, it is; see below] and you're nearly guaranteed a success. Plus, it has taken you exactly one of your 8 turns.
Also, your opponent will not be too annoyed about losing his tablet, since now you can BOTH use the information that's on it. If he really wants it back, he can raid it back from you- and you won't care.

True, a useful result is not guaranteed, but

some of the interrogated advisors have given you hints.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Provinces are dangerous sites. You'd need the Grizzled Veteran or the ship upgrade that allows you to use Fortune there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Provinces are dangerous sites.

This was a recurring point of confusion and contention while we were playing the game. Provinces are shown as dangerous, but player's Treasuries are clearly shown as NOT dangerous. So which is it? Same thing with sites on colonies. The raiding mechanics are very clunky...

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Addington
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
Provinces are dangerous sites.

This was a recurring point of confusion and contention while we were playing the game. Provinces are shown as dangerous, but player's Treasuries are clearly shown as NOT dangerous. So which is it? Same thing with sites on colonies. The raiding mechanics are very clunky...

Kevin

The plunder values for province/colony sites are not defense shields. The province has a red defence of 5. Individual sites have differing plunder values.

Say what you will about raiding mechanics, but this wasn't really that confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's a graphics problem. Two similar numbers, both used for Raiding, both using the same font, background color, and similar pointy-bottomed shapes. But two very different numbers- don't get them confused! So what was wrong with using blue circles or yellow squares for the Plunder Values? surprise

Let's just say it caused a LOT of confusion for our group. angry

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I haven't been clear about my real point: even if I'm guaranteed to be successful in the raid it isn't worth it!
Turn 1: Raid for a tablet. After raiding, discover the taken tablet still doesn't give a valid triplet. And since you've placed 5 tokens you can't try again. Unless they decide to raid back. But nope; they're off getting real points while you have a single point, no active colonies, a possibly damaged ship, and no other plan.

If it had occurred to us to shine on the map six games ago maybe we would have bothered, but with all but one tomb closed and it being apparent they have nothing to do with the final island there's just no point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Chamberlain
msg tools
Just to put this out there, you can get information on the triplets by interrogating the society members - I know the Arados advisors definitely give information - and it's as clear as "seek the Ancient, the Cryptic and the Fragile" for instance - all you need to do is write down the three tablet names they say and you'll know if the person has a tablet worth stealing.

Might be worth interrogating more, or re-interrogating certain advisors to get the info again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Steve said. I rather cryptically said this upstream- didn't want to say too much in case Throknor hadn't come across this information yet. But yes, if you put together the information from three tablets that are mentioned by interrogating an Advisor, then it is well worth the trouble. If you just hit them randomly, the odds are against you.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Box 5+
Yep, there's even an interrogation that says something like "If you're looking for the secrets of the precious metals, you can ignore the X tablet." You really need to pay attention to what those interrogated advisors say if you want to be successful with the secret tombs.

Even more Box 5+++ spoiler, seriously if you haven't figured out the secret tombs this could potentially provide an unfair advantage
Another thing you can determine just from the way the Captain's Booke works is that the tablets with 1, 2, and 3 on them are crucial, because the secret tomb entries are all three-digit numbers, and the Captain's Booke doesn't make it into the 400s or above. Of course, if you don't know whether the tablet has a 1, 2, or 3 on it before you raid it, then this might not help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had most or all of the
(Box 5+)
combinations determined by the time I got my third or fourth tablet (plus a few inquiry results), just by comparing the information available as if it were one of those grid logic puzzles. Then it was just a matter of raiding the right tablets, followed by hitting all of the worthless tombs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.