Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He officially, closes the public beaches to the public because of the state's budget impasse, and less than forty eight hours later is photographed with his family on the public beach that is supposed to be officially closed to the public ! Read his spokesman's spin, it's too hilarious. shake

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/politics/chris-christie-beach/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
His solution? Run for governor. Then you can have a beachfront mansion.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/03/535335917/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He used a helicopter to get back as well when there is supposed to be no money and lied in the press conference as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
He used a helicopter to get back as well when there is supposed to be no money and lied in the press conference as well.

The contempt of the lies is what gets to me:

nj.com wrote:
At that news conference, Christie was asked if he got any sun Sunday.

"I didn't," he said. "I didn't get any sun today."

When later told of the photo, Brian Murray, the governor's spokesman, said: "Yes, the governor was on the beach briefly today talking to his wife and family before heading into the office."

"He did not get any sun," Murray added. "He had a baseball hat on."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the NJ governor election is this November. Due to how unpopular Christie is the predictions are a very easy win for the Democrat. NJ typically leans Democrat anyway, but Christie pretty much ends any possibility of having another Republican governor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't give a shit anymore. Christie knows that he's done, politically, for at least ten years. He's incredibly unpopular in New Jersey, he kneeled before Trump and was then rebuffed for a federal gig, and he's term limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

windsagio wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

The contempt of the lies is what gets to me:

nj.com wrote:
At that news conference, Christie was asked if he got any sun Sunday.

"I didn't," he said. "I didn't get any sun today."

When later told of the photo, Brian Murray, the governor's spokesman, said: "Yes, the governor was on the beach briefly today talking to his wife and family before heading into the office."

"He did not get any sun," Murray added. "He had a baseball hat on."

That's funny, because based on the photograph, the lower part of Christie's face and his exposed arms and legs were getting plenty of sun.

So, contrary to those outright Trumpian lies, the overwhelming bulk of Chris Christie's bulk was indeed getting plenty of sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Denying it despite the photographic evidence and then mocking the newspaper for publishing the photos were nice touches, but by not using the phrase "fake news" I think he pretty clearly blew his interview for a second-wave appointment in the Trump administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
Denying it despite the photographic evidence and then mocking the newspaper for publishing the photos were nice touches, but by not using the phrase "fake news" I think he pretty clearly blew his interview for a second-wave appointment in the Trump administration.

On the contrary, denying the photographic evidence even when it's clear has been a clear hallmark of the Trump administration since day one. This can only increase Christie's vibe with the Trumpistas !

Biggest inauguration crowd...EVAH !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry, not understanding this.

What has money to do with beaches, why is a beach closed, and how is a beach closed?

It's a very lengthy strip of land meeting ocean - I don't see how any of the above applies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

What has money to do with beaches, why is a beach closed, and how is a beach closed?

It's a very lengthy strip of land meeting ocean - I don't see how any of the above applies...

Public beaches have lifeguards, restrooms, and maintenance workers to keep them clean. They have costs to operate even when there are not workers there as it would result in a lot of cleanup work once the workers return. Also water consumption, electricity, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got to admit it's an unusual day that Trump isn't the biggest asshole in the Republican party. I expect he'll make up for it tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

The New Jersey legislature hasn't been able to pass a budget to fund state spending. Christie signed an emergency bill authorizing temporary spending for basic infrastructure like police, fire and hospitals.

Things that are not authorized are tourist attractions like public beaches. These require money for public safety things like lifeguards. They can't just throw open the gates and let people use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Your beaches have gates? Well, at least they are not also covered in huts, chairs, and umbrellas like in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Your beaches have gates? Well, at least they are not also covered in huts, chairs, and umbrellas like in Europe.

I mean . . . people probably go to them anyway.

Well they obviously do!

It's basically the biggest non-story ever. Like . . . he's probably not the main reason shit's shut down. Who cares if he goes to a beach.

I dunno what new jersey beaches are like. In maine you can still go them even after the lifeguards aren't on duty. Maybe ours are more town run than state run. Or maybe we're not supposed to be sneaking onto them I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
You've got to admit it's an unusual day that Trump isn't the biggest asshole in the Republican party. I expect he'll make up for it tomorrow.

Don't sleep on my boy McConnell! The turtle always beats the hare when it counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
State parks have gates since visitors must pay a small fee to visit. Not sure if all beaches in New Jersey are part of the state parks system though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

It's basically the biggest non-story ever. Like . . . he's probably not the main reason shit's shut down. Who cares if he goes to a beach.

I dunno what new jersey beaches are like. In maine you can still go them even after the lifeguards aren't on duty. Maybe ours are more town run than state run. Or maybe we're not supposed to be sneaking onto them I dunno.

The point here is that the New Jersey government is shut down over a budget dispute. So the state-operated beaches are all closed to the public.

Except for Chris Christie and his family, apparently. The big deal is mostly a question of optics - the governor gets to use the beach while the general public can't.

Not exactly mass murder, but it rubs people the wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Except for Chris Christie and his family, apparently. The big deal is mostly a question of optics - the governor gets to use the beach while the general public can't.
More galling to me is that he used a fucking helicopter to get there. A state-owned helicopter. Neither fiscally responsible nor small government. Ahhh, now that he's free from electioneering, he's feeling free as a bird now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
No, still not getting it.

You say the beaches are closed because they can't pay for the people who keep them open (still really, really don't see how that works, but anyway...).

Who then is being paid to keep them closed? And physically how are they closed? It's a beach!

Do you and I mean the same thing when we use the word beach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Public beaches have lifeguards, restrooms, and maintenance workers to keep them clean. They have costs to operate even when there are not workers there as it would result in a lot of cleanup work once the workers return. Also water consumption, electricity, etc.

That's so strange. We have miles of beaches where you just drive up and use them at your own risk.

In fact, the biggest challenge is people from the east and west coasts trying to get our public beaches laws repealed. And they have a lot of money to do it.

There are state parks but the beach in front of them is public property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

In fact, the biggest challenge is people from the east and west coasts trying to get our public beaches laws repealed. And they have a lot of money to do it.

Curious what you're talking about here, at least as far as the west coast goes - 2/3 of the states here have public beach laws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Who then is being paid to keep them closed? And physically how are they closed? It's a beach!

By not allowing access to it? Closing the gate on the road that leads to it? Do Australians have no concept of property rules? Do you just walk through people's gardens to get where you want to go? Property adjoining a beach is pretty valuable and in demand. In heavily populated areas you generally can't just walk or drive to a beach without going through something owned by someone. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. It's not like this applies to every beach in the state of New Jersey, just the approximately 20 miles or so that's owned by the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What are these be-aches you people speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

I'd wager Christie's security was keeping trespassers out for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.