Damien Kay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to PACG. I've just finished sleeving the RotR base set and about to embark on our adventure. My wife wants to play Merisiel and my 11 yr old son, Valeros (surprise, surprise!) - Is there a character that would particularly compliment those choices? I like the idea of Harsk but suspect I ought to try to bring some magic to the party?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A magic user would definitely be advantageous as a 3rd. Merisel is a DEX/Range fighter, and Valeros is a STR/Melee fighter and neither is good at magic. Lem the Bard is the only character that can do both Arcane and Divine magic so he's often the 'to go guy' for adding magic to a party.
That said, the game is balanced (and easy) enough that ANY party will be able to conquer the whole adventure. A party without magicians should stack up on items and magic weapons that let them pass any challenges that requires magic. Healing items will also come in useful. So Harsk is definitely a possibility, it just requires a slightly different approach to some tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Sm
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
The Matrix has you...
badge
I shake your throat firmly, sincerely yours.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am seconding for magic character. Game has a lot of magic cards, checks on magic and other. Consider Lem as Magic/Divine, or Ezren for pure Magic. I personaly believe that healing is not that critical - it's better to focus on completing the fighting/other checks, rather than healing the damage for not completing them. But of course every character has it's pluses/minuses, and Kyra (Divine) is the best in some areas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, there are benefits to sprinkling some magic in the mix. If you choose divine, you'll get to be a bit of a support character, often helping out the other two. That can be a nice family dynamic.

If you choose a player who uses either melee or ranged weapons, you'll be competing for them with another party member. Whenever your party finds that sweet new bow, either Merisiel or Harsk would be disappointed. Magic users (of both types) can often settle for second-hand weapons.

But play the character you'll enjoy most. Oh, and don't be afraid to play a couple scenarios, and then if you think another character would be more fun, swap out. You'll have to live with this character for 30+ of game play, so you should enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Kay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses. I think I'll have a "try out" play with a couple of the characters who can use magic and see which one I'm drawn to! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.