Subject: Trump and the National Enquirer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
If this really happened, what the FFFFUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/30/media/national-enquirer-dona...

The President is that obsessed over what the press is saying that he'd involve other members of the administration in trying to pressure them into an apology?

I mean, we all know he's a narcissist with an eggshell ego but this truly involves mental illness levels of fuckwittery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like blackmail to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

More like bribery of a sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
dkearns wrote:

I don't think so. No money involved directly. Therefore not bribery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:

The President is that obsessed over what the press is saying that he'd involve other members of the administration in trying to pressure them into an apology?

I mean, we all know he's a narcissist with an eggshell ego but this truly involves mental illness levels of fuckwittery.

Yes, he's mentally ill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

Blackmail is such an ugly word. Let's just call it a vicious threat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
dkearns wrote:

It's more accurate than blackmail. He offered something of value (nixing the story being published) for an groveling apology. He wasn't holding negative info over their head. The Enquirer was already working on the story. Also, you are being very narrow in your view of bribery in a common usage sense. This seems to be your typical quid pro quo situation. Money doesn't need to be involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
dkearns wrote:

It's more accurate than blackmail. He offered something of value (nixing the story being published) for an groveling apology. He wasn't holding negative info over their head. The Enquirer was already working on the story. Also, you are being very narrow in your view of bribery in a common usage sense. This seems to be your typical quid pro quo situation. Money doesn't need to be involved.

Excepting we don't know the backstory and the owner of the Enquirer is a big booster fo4 Trump.

So if Donnie tells you his friend David here is gonna break your legs, but Donnie can convince him not to if you kiss his ring, is that bribery or extortion? After all, David was going to break your legs anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Excepting we don't know the backstory and the owner of the Enquirer is a big booster fo4 Trump.

So if Donnie tells you his friend David here is gonna break your legs, but Donnie can convince him not to if you kiss his ring, is that bribery or extortion? After all, David was going to break your legs anyway.

Yeah, the story ran. So it wasn't exactly great blackmail. I think it was more like entrapment. Trump trying to get them to do this do he could turn around and show they suppressed free speech. Yes, it makes him look bad too, but he is insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know the story actually ran.

What did it say?

I love the idea of the National Enquirer being used to threaten someone. Do what I say or we're going to run a story about bigfoot living in your backyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:

I guess the good news is it made Joe Scarborough relevant again and gave him a ton of instant cred.

Trump did Joe a huge favor by trying to strongarm him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

dkearns wrote:
I didn't know the story actually ran.

What did it say?

I love the idea of the National Enquirer being used to threaten someone. Do what I say or we're going to run a story about bigfoot living in your backyard.

Even better, President Trump and the owner of The National Enquirer are good friends. That's in part why Trump has repeatedly stated that The National Enquirer deserves the Pulitizer Prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Macewan
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
dkearns wrote:

How about extortion - 'the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the thing to consider is the fact that the National Enquirer would not have been researching into a hit piece at all if Joe and Mika had been praising Donald Trump every morning to begin with.

This is going to sound crazy but I've lost a lot of respect for the National Enquirer after discovering how deep in bed the owner is with President Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
"or we're going to run a story about bigfoot living in your backyard. "

Shhh! I promised him annonymity in return for the truth about Elvis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure right now Trump supporters are just mad that the media is making Trump look bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The Enquirer, a supermarket tabloid, frequently promotes the president's agenda.

This speaks volumes by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article below;

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/03/how-the-ps...

But the best insight might come, ironically, from Trump’s wife, Melania, who shortly before the election decried an internet culture that “has gotten too mean and too rough.” She was talking about cyberbullying, an online behavior she described as “absolutely unacceptable”—but which some experts say is an accurate, and helpful, descriptor of the president’s Twitter habits.

From his language to his frequency to his particularly callous targeting of women, Trump’s behavior bares many of the hallmarks of cyberbullying, according to lawyers, psychologists and others who study the subject. Understanding this conduct, they say, might explain why Trump has kept up these attacks even in the face of condemnation and might, in turn, help those around him temper his impulses.

According to Justin Patchin—a criminal justice professor at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and co-director of the CyberBullying Research Center, an online information hub about the subject—cyberbullying is defined as harm that is inflicted through technology, and is done willfully and repeatedly.

And;

But, she says, his behavior fits into other similar categories of grown-up hassling online: “flamers,” “trolls” and “cyber harassers.” Flamers use inflammatory language and profanity in hopes of eliciting a reaction. Trolls are a bit more sophisticated, starting full-blown arguments by saying derogatory or offensive things about certain people or groups. And cyber harassers engage in those same types of behaviors but repeatedly target the same individuals. “Trump has participated, based on my observations, in all three,” Aftab says.

How is a cyberbully born, and what drives one to keep attacking and attacking? Low self-esteem and low thresholds for empathy are good predictors, as are the “dark triad” personality traits of psychopathy, Machiavellianism and narcissism.

SPOT ON, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rylfrazier wrote:
I'm sure right now Trump supporters are just mad that the media is making Trump look bad.

Uhhh, no, that would be the President making a spectacle of himself that makes him look bad by doing provocatively unethical things in clear sight of the media.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.