My Little Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quests - too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a couple of times now, and it seems to me that the star for completing 2 quests is just a little bit too easy. Most players seem to get that almost by accident in our games.

Are we perhaps playing wrongly, or do others think it should be 3, or even 4, quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've felt the same way.
From my plays, it seems like a good strategy is to get your second pony (recruited ASAP) to sit on a quest spawning hex. Then just wait for the quests to start falling in! laugh

Though it could be a bit of a groupthink[?] kind thing: often people would roll 3 red or 3 blue dice + 1 yellow die. As a result quests popped up quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group did not roll the quest die that much for just that reason. Why would you ever roll the quest die unless you were actively trying to go after quests. You don't want quests just lying around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays fine at 2 quests. Especially if playing with younger players. If you want to make the game more challenging then increase the number of victory achievements you need to get to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Our group did not roll the quest die that much for just that reason. Why would you ever roll the quest die unless you were actively trying to go after quests. You don't want quests just lying around.

Haha that's true. Once I started doing this, it was always in my interest to roll quests. Probably not so much in the other players' interests though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I really appreciate you posting your observations! Setting it at two was our attempt to make it as quickly achievable as some of the other achievements. Because you can get 3X more of the other resources than quests (and quests actually can't stack) this was intended to allow players to complete this as quickly as an apple delivery or pie fight for example.

With that said, it's absolutely fine to scale it up to make extend the game. (as long as you feel it doesn't put this achievement out of reach relative to other achievements) I'm currently working on a matrix to help players adjust the game setup for different ages and desired game length. (some adults felt that 30-45 mins was too short)

Players gunning for certain victory conditions may choose to bypass going for quests altogether. But if you're intending to max out both Friendship and Pies then the right quests will give you a huge advantage.

xorsyst_uk wrote:
I've played this a couple of times now, and it seems to me that the star for completing 2 quests is just a little bit too easy. Most players seem to get that almost by accident in our games.

Are we perhaps playing wrongly, or do others think it should be 3, or even 4, quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your thoughts. I suspect it's groupthink - people were rolling the yellow dice even when I had 2 ponies on quest spawn spots and they had none

One other idea for a nerf is to make it that quests only count towards the star if you pick one of the bottom 2 actions, which would mean you need to actually "do something" on the quest rather than take the easy way out cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again this weekend at a convention (to many reactions split about 50/50 between "OMG that's awesome" to "urgh! Ponies!"). We tried with the variant the quest tokens don't spawn on a space with a pony, and it seemed to be enough to swing the balance. I'd recommend giving it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.