William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
Never posted or even looked in this forum before. I am a bit overwhelmed in trying to think of what games I might bring on a trip.

A 19-year old family member has a serious form of cancer and is trying to recover at a hospital. I had been buying a playing games with him and my family for years. We never got past games like Memoir 44, Ticket to Ride, and Dominion and most recently they loved Terror in Meeple City.. . . . oh yeah, I also taught them Werewolf which they loved.

Anyway, I am going to be with him for three to four days for the next two weeks. I will be there as support. I am known as the gamer guy with my family, which means I bring games and we play them. I am expected to bring games that are fun for the family.

I am honestly pretty good typically at finding games that are fun and I can often find a great game to bring out with nearly any group. I am at a loss though right now.

The family member is bedridden right now. He is also taking lots of medications. There is not necessarily much table space to use for games either. I am not sure if he will even be up to gaming. At the same time, gaming might be a way for him to get his mind off of his situation.

As I write this, I am thinking that I should bring Dominion. However, what other games should I bring? I do not even know if there will be other people with me. I will include a link to my collection. I am also willing to buy new games if there are better suggestions. Obviously, 90% of my games will not work. I am leaving for the trip, July 5th, 2017 at the crack of dawn.

I hope to get some decent recommendations. I might be difficult to wade through my collection. So you might just also want to throw out some suggestions. Thanks for any advice.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/raynovich

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Brown
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry for your family member and will keep them in my prayers.

I am thinking since they are bed ridden, a small table space would be best. The main thing that is coming to me right now is Star Realms (no expansions, keep it simple). It has cool art, I think I saw that you have it, it is small, and relatively short but fun games.

Safe travels and I hope they have a swift recovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's this list: BGG Best Of Series: Best Games For A Hospital Stay

If you own any of the Kosmos 2 player games, they tend to be small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't in your list, but I have brought Sentinels of the Multiverse to play with my wife when she was in the hospital. A bit crowded with the cards, but is fun and can be shared with others who are visiting.

Also, we've done various games on tablets, either pass-around or everyone has one. Main ones that got play time were Ticket to Ride and Suburbia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear of your loved one's situation and will pray for you all.

My wife is a two-time cancer survivor, and I remember how exhausted she became. If she could relax, she'd drift off and doze frequently.

With this in mind, "Santorini" would be a very good choice. It can be taught in about two minutes, plays in ten or fifteen minutes, and is lovely to look at, which is good for one's spirits.

"Star Trek Panic" might be another good choice, if the patient is a Trekkie; if not, the similar, but simpler, "Castle Panic" might work well.

Lastly, a new game, somewhat pricey but also pretty to look at, is the Perry Brothers' new "Travel Battle," a simple Napoleonic miniatures game complete with a formed plastic board, featuring hills, woods and villages, and two armies of miniature soldiers, red and blue. The box is designed to transport the whole business easily, the playing board is ten by twenty inches, no charts or fine print to refer to, easily learned and taught. I found a US seller online with a $64.95 price point.

Wishing you all an outcome to celebrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter - tiny footprint, easy to learn and play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pena
Dominican Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, sorry to hear that, hope all goes well.

I am fairly new to games in general, but I happen to browse a lot this site. You could check out these games, some of which i have never played, but might have the right balance between short/fun.

Kingdomino
Pandemic
Ticket to ride
Hanamikoji

Good thing is they are not really expensive, and some you already have.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like small footprint card games are the ticket.....

Diamonds
Unreal Estate
Coin Age
Citadels
OutLawed!
Blueprints
San Juan (second edition)
Race for the Galaxy
Welcome to the Dungeon
Welcome Back to the Dungeon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
+1 for Kingdomino

It's cheap, 5x5 is small, not very focus intensive, easy to pick up, easy to play with 2-4, can be played 7x7 for 2 and is even more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meej wrote:

As the inspiration behind this list, I can tell you that Splendor and Coloretto worked out fantastically. I had Love Letter and a couple others with me, too, but my wife just wanted to stick with the first two.

I hope that your family member has a speedy and full recovery, and that you're able to bring some levity and joy to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leave them with a solo game for when you are not there. There are some free PNP solo games. And once you start exploring free PNP, you'll also see that some contests have been about very small games (18 cards, 9 cards, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
meej wrote:

As the inspiration behind this list, I can tell you that Splendor and Coloretto worked out fantastically. I had Love Letter and a couple others with me, too, but my wife just wanted to stick with the first two.

I hope that your family member has a speedy and full recovery, and that you're able to bring some levity and joy to him.

Splendor and Lost Cities definitely seem like they would work. When I was in hospital we played King of Tokyo (as it has a tiny board) but this depends on how much energy your relative has. I have also played Pandemic (the board fit on the my bed table but you need the box to keep the disease cubes in). Co-ops can be great because when you are tired you can still play together without it becoming a one-sided game. The other game we had success with was Carcassonne. I should also note that there were usually only 2 players for these games (including King of Tokyo that we made up a variant for). I should also note that at the time I only had a very small collection so there may be games that would work better.

I also recommend taking some games he is already familiar with - sometimes learning new rules is just too difficult (or you learn them but just can't think clearly enough to formulate good strategies). Obviously this is based on my own experiences in hospital (which were short-term stays), and every person is different (as well as the effects of the various medications they are being given).

I am truly sorry to hear of your relative's illness and hope he recovers quickly.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the geeklist mentioned by others looks like an excellent resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Leave them with a solo game for when you are not there. There are some free PNP solo games. And once you start exploring free PNP, you'll also see that some contests have been about very small games (18 cards, 9 cards, etc).

Also for 1vs1 : Coin Age, you can print it, small footprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
Sorry I'm late in my reply. Also, sorry to hear about your family member.

It seems like short and easy games with a small footprint may be appropriate.

Here's a few:

Qwixx
Rack-O (this and Qwixx are readily available at Target, etc. if once you get to the hospital you find that it would work)
Red7
Go Nuts or Zombie Dice
Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grizzled imediatly poped in my mind when I read your story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.