Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Pokorney
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I reading these rules correctly?

1. If I arrive at an undiscovered culture I get 3 buy/ 3 sales transactions.

2. If I arrive at a city or spaceport, of a known culture, at the end or during my movement phase I get 1 buy/sale transaction and if I'm already at a space port or city and I skip my movement phase I can get unlimited buy/sell transactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcrist74 wrote:
Am I reading these rules correctly?

1. If I arrive at an undiscovered culture I get 3 buy/ 3 sales transactions.

2. If I arrive at a city or spaceport, of a known culture, at the end or during my movement phase I get 1 buy/sale transaction and if I'm already at a space port or city and I skip my movement phase I can get unlimited buy/sell transactions.

The rules differ between classic and standard. My answer is for standard.

If you make first contact with a culture, you get 3 buy and 3 sell actions on the same turn you arrive there.

If you stop on a surface city (but not a spaceport), you get 1 buy action and 1 sell action on the turn you arrive there. If you want to do more, you must wait there until your next turn when you can do unlimited buys and sells. You don't move on that turn. (We usually tip over our ship to remember.) Note that if you have the cash and you don't buy anything, then on the turn you arrive you can build a spaceport instead. It's nearly the same as waiting to do unlimited buys and sells, but now you get cash back on all your deals.

If you stop on a spaceport, whether it's neutral or owned by someone, you get unlimited buy and sell actions on the turn you arrive.

And now I'm going to bitch about the rules because even though there is a Transactions Phase, the rules have you doing transactions all over the place. For example, you upgrade your pilot during the Movement Phase, you do First Contact transactions during the First Contact Phase, buy spaceports during the Spaceport Phase, and finally all else during the Transaction Phase. In my opinion, this is ridiculous, unnecessary, and confusing especially to new players.

Plus it creates an odd situation. You make first contact and get 3 buys and 3 sells during the First Contact Phase. Now it's the Transaction Phase. Do you get more transactions? One buy/sell if on a surface city? (netting 4 buy/sells per first contact turn?) Unlimited if at a spaceport making the 3 buy/sells in first contact pointless? Everyone has speculated, but I don't think anyone has asked FF.

We decided to simplify this by moving ALL transactions to the Transaction Phase, so it works like this for us:
Stop at surface city: 1 buy and 1 sell on the turn you arrive except 3 buys and 3 sells if it's a first contact turn. Unlimited if you wait a turn in either case.
Stop at a spaceport: unlimited (it doesn't matter if it's first contact or not.)

If you follow the rules literally, then it's the same as we do it except you'd get 4 buys/sells on a first contact turn on a surface city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Pokorney
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that helps. I was reading over little nuance things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.