Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for me and my husband to play on weeknights -- meaning that they will play in a shorter period of time (60mins max and usually less). We are comfortable with different levels of complexity and different types of games.

Our current go-to choices that we both like are Patchwork and Jaipur. We also have 7Wonders Duel, Roma II and Hive. We have played a lot of Carcassonne and Pandemic in the past. (We are also playing A LOT of Arkham Horror Card game but that usually happens on the weekend when we have more free time). We are looking for games that play well with two -- they do not have to be exclusively 2-player games.

Here are some things that I am looking at:

Tides of Time/Tides of Madness
Battle Line
Innovation
Lost Cities
Hanamikoji
Ethnos? (Does this play OK with 2?)

Any thoughts about thee and recommendations for others to consider?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for me and my husband to play on weeknights -- meaning that they will play in a shorter period of time (60mins max and usually less). We are comfortable with different levels of complexity and different types of games.

Our current go-to choices that we both like are Patchwork and Jaipur. We also have 7Wonders Duel, Roma II and Hive. We have played a lot of Carcassonne and Pandemic in the past. (We are also playing A LOT of Arkham Horror Card game but that usually happens on the weekend when we have more free time). We are looking for games that play well with two -- they do not have to be exclusively 2-player games.

Battle Line
Innovation
Lost Cities
Hanamikoji

Any thoughts about thee and recommendations for others to consider?

Many thanks!

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small + expansions
Race for the Galaxy
Cottage Garden
Caverna: Cave vs Cave
Morels

Personally I was not a big fan of Lost Cities, just kind of Meh and felt like a traditional card game (which I'm not huge on). Ended up trading it away.

Innovation is good - as long as you both have thick skin. A knife-fight in a phone-booth game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Many thanks for the feedback! We are very competitive and are fine with a knife fight! I admit I have been wondering if Lost Cities might be too much like a traditional card game and I have that same concern perhaps about Battle Line.

I just started playing Race For The Galaxy on my iPad and the jury is still out on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
I just can't recommend this game enough. It's an essential game for two players and can play under an hour, your first couple of plays might be a little longer than an hour.

I would also recommend hanamikoji and Ethnos does play well with two players. It's one of the only games that scales well from two to six players.

Also take a look at Hanabi, and Qwixx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I frequently play games on the weeknights, here are some that we enjoy most:

Roll for the Galaxy - works marvelously with two players, plays in under an hour. It has a somewhat steep learning curve, but once you get it down gameplay is incredibly smooth. Also quick and easy to set up.
Battle Line - we own both this and Lost Cities, and while they are both good we tend to play Battle Line more often. It's the better of the two IMO.
Splendor - haven't played this so much lately, but we always enjoy it when we do.
Pandemic: The Cure - one of my favorite things about this game is the quick setup, and gameplay is fun but not too brain burning.
San Juan - excellent card game that hits a nice medium between thinky and easy
Love Letter - great for when we're too tired for anything else.
+ 1 to Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:

Battle Line
Innovation
Lost Cities
Hanamikoji

Tides of Time/Tides of Madness: It's ok, but if you don't like memor elements, don't bother
Battle Line: Excellent
Innovation: Fiddly and can be mean, but ok
Lost Cities: Good
Hanamikoji: It's popular, but I'm not overly fussy on it.
Ethnos: I wouldn't want to play this with 2.

JohnnyDollar wrote:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small: This is good but you NEED an expansion
Race for the Galaxy: Excellent if you're not bothered by iconography
Cottage Garden: Never played it, but I can't see the point (for two players) if the OP likes Patchwork
Caverna: Cave vs Cave: Haven't played, but looks good
Morels: Morels is ok, but I prefer Jaipur

My recommendations:

13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis: Has a Twilight Struggle feel, in less than an hour
Can't Stop: Great push-your-luck game
A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King: Pretty good majority game made better for people who like the theme
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation: Combat, special powers, and secret movement for two. Even better for people who like the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jaipur
+1 Splendor
+1 Lord of the Rings The Confrontation

All great weeknight games.

Also you could look into:
-Mr. Jack
-Raptor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Castles of Burgundy

My husband and I love Stone Age as a two player
Also played La Granja: No Siesta recently and loved it enough to pick up a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered another one we play on weeknights a lot:

La Isla
Nice short Feld game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Related, but not exactly the same... I'm always on the lookout for games in a similar vein: 2-player games that play in 60 minutes or less, but which also have some depth to them.

Some favorites in this class:
7 Wonders Duel
Race for the Galaxy
Roll for the Galaxy
Dominion
Istanbul
Ra
Targi
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Steampunk Rally
Akrotiri
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Pasqualetto
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I play a lot of games on weeknights. Pandemic and 7 Wonders Duel were our weeknight standards but now we'll play just about anything in the 30-90 min game play range.

This is what would recommend based on what we play:

Ethnos (We really like this at 2!)
Onitama
City of Spies: Estoril 1942
Viticulture Essential Edition
Covert
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure
Five Tribes

We also will play these but learning games will take a while:
Scythe
Cry Havoc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Interested in other opinions about Clank! as a two player game. I have had my eye on it for awhile but assumed it wasn't really for two. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Pasqualetto
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
Interested in other opinions about Clank! as a two player game. I have had my eye on it for awhile but assumed it wasn't really for two. Thoughts?

I think it plays really well at all player counts; my wife and I play it mostly at 2 and it's one of her favorite games in our collection. And it's really simple to pick up and get going quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play 2-player much, but when I do, I like:

Race for the Galaxy w/ the Gathering Storm(using the option where each player chooses two actions each turn) and

Carcassonne

Lost Cities and Battle Line are fine to pass the time with someone, but I don't think there is enough complexity to keep me interested in repeat plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
+1s to Lost Cities, Schotten Totten, ACBAS and Can't Stop.

Don't think I'd ever tire of these games.

If you can go to 60 minutes you can easily fit stuff like Glass Road, Suburbia, Agricola (Revised Edition), San Juan, Targi or Deus.

These are all games we enjoy with two players in addition to the ones I've +1'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player games, 60 minutes max, no genre or complexity restriction, let's see...

Besides the ones you already own and play:

Battle Line

Star Realms / Cthulhu Realms

Dominion

The Duke

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra

Onitama

Pandemic: The Cure

Pergamon

Quarto

San Juan (second edition)

Targi

Tiny Epic Galaxies

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
We like ...

Worker Placement>
Outlive (with the horde expansion)
Covert
Waterdeep
Anachrony (1.5 hours with 2)

CO-OPs>
Ghost Stories
Dead Men Tell No Tales
Burgle Bros

For shorter games>
Hanabi
Onitama
Cosmic Run
7 Wonders Duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Eeeville wrote:

Cottage Garden: Never played it, but I can't see the point (for two players) if the OP likes Patchwork

Despite looking superficially very similar, Cottage Garden and Patchwork play out very differently. CG is more of a solo-game puzzle feel where you're planning out multiple moves ahead of time and there's limited player interaction. Patchwork revolves mostly around its economic engine / resource management. I find CG a much more relaxed game than Patchwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James N

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have really focused on top notch two player games for weeknights and we enjoy the following (just assume it's a +1 if it was mentioned).

Sagrada plays just as well with 2, 3 or 4 in my opinion and it is a bit of a brain burner. After half a game, you can really appreciate it as a gorgeous 2 player puzzle. It's not particularly cutthroat and unless you are extremely prone to AP, this is a great weeknight game.

Tides of Time to learn the flow of the game and then Tides of Madness for some added strategy and splendid Elder God artwork. We really like the drafting mechanic and appreciate the quickness of this one.

Tiny Epic Galaxies gives us a big box experience in a small package and with a lesser time commitment. The expansion adds even more replay value.

Raptor is another gem. Be a dinosaur or a bunch of jerks and duel it out. Great minis and depth for a game that is easy to learn and plays under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
A lot of our faves have already been mentioned. Lately I've really been focusing on light and 'fun' games for weeknights and we have the following as go to games. These are all light and < 45 minutes (many are <30 minutes).

Splendor
San Juan
Patchwork
7 Wonders: Duel
Century: Spice Road
Pandemic the Cure
Dice City
Ethnos - I hesitated to include Ethnos as it isn't exactly hitting on all cylinders for us but it does fit the criteria and works well with two
Fuse (but a little tense just before bed due the real time aspect)

If you have just a little more brain power and are willing to go a little longer (but still < 60 minutes) these are our favourites.
Roll for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy
Suburbia
Imperial Settlers
Glass Road

Honourable mention to Isle of Skye, though I find the auction loses a bit at 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:

+1!!!
It's got so many different ways to play even the base game.
And then there are a lot of fun expansions from throughout literature:
-Robin Hood
-King Arthur
-Robert E. Howard (Conan the Barbarian)
-Three Musketeers

and some that really change the game like
-Siege Engine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3minator Eve
Belgium
Woluwe-St-Lambert
flag msg tools

+1 on Imperial Settlers for two. It might become a weeknight two-player for us (and I actually wouldn't even consider playing with more), but I'm happy we didn't try it out on a weeknight, first play is a tough one! (and much longer than 60min, no?)

additional +1s to Mr Jack, Lost Cities, 7 Wonders Duel and Dominion

Seasons !

I also love many abstract games as a two-player, but maybe that's not your cup of tea?

Good to know that Splendor is good with two, I really like it as a seemingly-effortless-but-not-dull game

I keep reading about Glass Road everywhere, I'll really have to try that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you to everyone for the enormous number of great suggestions. I ordered four games and they will be arriving later this week from CoolStuff. I ended up getting: Innovation, Tides of Madness, Hanamikoji and Lost Cities. But there are many more on my "want" list thanks to all of your great suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.