Popular Tags: [View All]
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For lack of a better sub-forum to place this in, this rant in the guise of a story lands up here.

My oldest friend went to London for his first ever foreign visit two weeks ago. Being the vigilant opportunist that I am, I decided to leverage his travel to score myself some sweet games from the great isle of Albion.

I ordered a copy of Anachrony from store A at a pretty decent price of 50 pounds and tracked shipping. I ordered a copy of Mombasa from store B, using up 5 pounds in store credit for another bargain at 27 pounds! Score.
So far so good.

Tracking on Anachrony shows the game is delivered on the 12th of June, signed and received by a neighbor of the cousin my friend is staying with called David, Mombasa has no tracking. My friend arrives, lets me know there's only one package, a rather large one. I ask him to open it and tell me which one it is, and he tells me he'll get around to it.

Not hearing back from him and having Her Majesty's Royal Mail itself vouching for the delivery of Anachrony, I put the wheels in motion and speak to Store B, fill up a lost in mail form, etc. and receive a refund.

Cue to today, friend finally gets back, opens package, it's Mombasa. Now after all the tribulations of the last few weeks, I'm left with no Anachrony, having inadvertently scammed store B and cursing all the Davids of the world.

I've obviously asked my friend's cousin to investigate, and this might just be pent up frustration from practically everything I touch turning to ash in the last few weeks, but how is it that a package is signed for by somebody at the address or a neighbor but not handed to the recipient? I'm at fault, I was being too polite when I should have been pushy during my friend's vacation and made him look.

But what possible recourse is left to me now?

I've got tracked mail saying it's been delivered when it's not. I need to contact store B and pay them back for something they've duly delivered. And I'm either left with a whopping 50 freaking pounds in the red or in the remotest chance that the game is found, a copy in a distant land with a relative of a friend who couldn't be less vested.

I just feel so horribly jinxed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if i understand this correctly; your " oldest friend " goes to London during which he will simply pick up the 2 games you ordered. It then appears that it took him over 2 weeks to actually open a package that was sitting in the house he was staying in and on top of that, he appears not to have even bothered to find or talk to the David who signed for a parcel next door!

I would find a better friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

+1

What...seriously??

If he is your oldest friend, forgive him, cherish him and one day laugh with him about this misadventure.

Meanwhile I think your hopes of seeing your copy of Anachrony are slim, though you should have accrued some fate points from your intention to deal honestly with the supplier of Mombasa.

It was a cunning plan, but too dependent on execution by only part-interested agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NikTheRake wrote:
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

+1

What...seriously??

If he is your oldest friend, forgive him, cherish him and one day laugh with him about this misadventure.

Meanwhile I think your hopes of seeing your copy of Anachrony are slim, though you should have accrued some fate points from your intention to deal honestly with the supplier of Mombasa.

It was a cunning plan, but too dependent on execution by only part-interested agents.
And then find a better friend.

Pete (thinks you can keep the old one but not as a courier)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't know about the Royal Mail, but a few months ago I've sent a package with DHL and it was delivered to a neighbor of the recipient with the notification of this delivery thrown into some unknown mailbox. That unknown person picked up the package.
So, while I was thinking, that everything was alright, the recipient became pissed off, asking a few weeks later about his package.
I still had the tracking number, so I could proof that I've sent the package out to him.

Anyway, the important part is, as the sender, I was entitled to order DHL to investigate the shipping. Not sure what happened in the end, as I forfeigted my rights to the recipient (I was going on a vacation and didn't want to have the recipient wait) so that he initiated the investigation.

Point is, maybe you can have Royal Mail initiate an investigation about the package? Probably yoz will have to go through the sender as well, but at least it would be a chance to find Anachrony or to claim the package lost to get yozr money from Royal Mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that's very sound advice. After my friend asks around, I'll write a mail to the store owner asking them to initiate a request for an investigation. I won't ask for a refund from the store, but asking the postal service to go through the trouble of looking feels like a responsible thing to do.

I just feel too dejected to be mad at anyone. I mean, other troubles aside, how many stars have to align to get something as simple as tracked and signed postal delivery to the right address through the local post go awry. shake

Receive a delivery at your doorstep, put it inside your bag. And even in something as simple as that fate finds opportunity to toss in the wrench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ToxinX wrote:
I mean, other troubles aside, how many stars have to align to get something as simple as tracked and signed postal delivery to the right address through the local post go awry. :shake:

I once purchased a package through Ebay and paid through PayPal. It was sent priority with tracking. I was out of town for a weekend so I requested my mail to be held by the post office, with me to pick it up on the Monday I returned. However, in my absence the post office delivered it anyway to my apartment and the tracking showed "Delivered." I assumed it meant delivered to the post office (who was holding my mail) but when I went to pick it up they informed me that they mistakenly had delivered it to my apartment. Except, they hadn't. They contacted the delivery postman who remembered the package and actually remembered delivering it but couldn't remember where. It was just a small envelope, not a box, which would fit in our locked mail boxes so it isn't likely my neighbors stole it. The Post Office apologized for mistakenly delivering my package... perhaps to the wrong address... but since I had not purchased insurance I was out of luck.
Thankfully, PayPal covered the loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe by "oldest friend" you mean the guy is in his 90s but not really much of a friend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your package was probably stolen after it was delivered. Maybe your friend could have prevented it or not. Either way a good friend would feel responsible for the loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.