3 Posts

Ghostbusters: The Board Game II» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homebrewed Rule Changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IcyDuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on some variant rules with have taken away some of the more frustrating parts of the game. I'd like them to work for most situations but since the scenarios and entities all differ I may tweak things here or there once I encounter things that don't gel well, but for the few scenarios I have done it's made it a lot more fun, while not playing down the challenge or strategy elements. This requires the use of some combat die, I customized the two sets of dice I had from GB1 to create proton dice and ghost dice as described below, a picture of which is in the facebook group, but any attack dice that have 3 hits/1 critical, and defense die that have two defense icons would work, or you can just keep using the #s to represent the icons.

Ghostbusters: The Board Game II- (Homebrewed IcyDuff variant)

Please refer to the general rule book for most rules as they will mainly remain the same, with the exception of the following changes.

Turn Order
: This comes from the online variant rules from the first game. The turn order changes each round. At the start of each round you may decide, as a team, who should go first, and decide who should take subsequent turns. Use a marker to show that a player has completed their turn that round. Turn order is not locked in at the start of the game, nor does it have to move in a set order around the table.

Combat Rolls:
Combat rolls are no longer done by rolling a single die and attempting to reach a set #, but rather through combat dice, creating a stronger chance of rolling hits but allowing the ghost to have a more dynamic defense.

There are two types of combat die:
Proton Die (Ghostbusters)- These dice represent the accuracy, strength and duration of a successful proton stream. They have three proton icons and 1 “No Ghost” icon. Proton icons are avoidable, while the “No Ghost” symbol indicates an unavoidable hit. Blank sides have no effect. When targeting a ghost, a Ghostbuster will roll a standard of 3 combat proton dice. (The same dice are used for both proton attacks and slime blowers). When an ability, equipment or other modifier indicates +1 or -1 to attack rolls (such as the -1 hit slime), this will add or subtract a combat die. [We chose the -1 hit slime would cause 1 less die to be rolled, rather than removing one of your successes, so receiving three -1 hit slimes would make you unable to perform combat rolls.]

Ghost Maneuver Die (Entities)- These dice represent the entity’s ability to avoid proton streams. These die have 2 dodge icons and 4 blank sides. A ghost will roll their “To Hit” rating on their card (from now on referred to as their defense stat). Example: an entity that requires a “to hit” of 3 will roll three maneuver dice. Any modifiers that refer to changing the “to hit” of a ghost will add or subtract defense dice from this base number.

After rolling combat (or at the same time if you prefer), another player will roll the ghost maneuver die to see if the proton stream has landed.
Any dodge symbols rolled will cancel out 1 proton symbol. Remember “No Ghost” symbols are unavoidable.

For every “no ghost” symbol and un-avoided proton symbol, add a proton stream (or mood slime) token to the entity.
If one or more streams/mood slime are placed on the entity- activate the entity’s “When Hit” ability. If enough streams have been placed to trap/extract the entity, the entity has been defeated (with the exception of Resist foes, see below.) You do not rank up for excess streams, but only as much as the “To trap” allows for that ghost.

If no tokens are placed- activate the entity’s “When Missed” ability.

Resist: When required to roll against Resist to trap an entity. Roll your combat dice (including +/- modifiers), count the successes and add the # of streams/slimes on the entity. “No ghost” and stream icons count as 1 success when rolling against resist. Roll the entities’ defense stat (including any +/- modifiers) and add the # of maneuver icons to their Resist stat (on the ghost card). If the total attack value is greater than or equal to the total defense value, the entity is successfully trapped/extracted.

Entity Defense Stat (# of dice): for standard Entities- decrease this value by 1 for each proton stream attached to the entity, in addition to modifiers. (The more streams they have on them, the harder it is for them to move around)
For Gates, mini-boss, and Boss entities- this value will remain the same regardless of stream tokens, unless otherwise effected by modifiers.

Wrangling/ Trapping (Optional Rule)- (initial idea borrowed from BGG user LastSocratic in thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1804940/combat-variant) -When using the optional trap mechanics, wrangling can occur during combat and not only required to occur afterwards. After resolving combat a combat roll, you may use your un-avoided hits to either add streams/ mood slime, or to wrangle the ghost to another space within line of site. You may mix/match this (ex. I rolled two un-avoided hits so I add 1 stream and wrangle one space towards the trap.) When wrangling, do not resolve the ghost’s “When Hit” ability, but you still resolve this when adding any stream/slime token, therefor you should always resolve the “when hit” ability prior to wrangling a space. A maneuver is still required to drop, pick up, and activate the trap. Any Ghostbuster may activate a trap they are adjacent to, but may only pick up and drop their own trap.
[Turn example- A class 2 ghost is within Ray’s LOS at the start of his turn and already has one stream on it from another GB. Ray want’s to attempt to trap the ghost. He uses a maneuver to drop the trap in an adjacent space between him and the ghost. He then uses a combat action to roll his 3 combat dice against the entity’s 4 defense stat. Ray rolls a “No ghost” symbol and 2 proton streams, while the ghost rolls only 1 “maneuver icon”, cancelling one of his proton stream icons. This result give’s Ray 2 successes. Ray adds the final stream needed to the ghost, who resolve’s its “To Hit” by charging 1 space towards and randomly slimes him and the other GB (just using a random ghost defense here). Ray uses his second success to wrangle the ghost onto the space with the trap. He uses his second maneuver to open the trap and catch the ghost, gaining 1 XP a piece for himself and the other player. Finally, Ray converts one of his actions into another maneuver so he can pick up the trap. He has one action left to do with as he pleases.]

“Removing Slime” Action- When using an action to remove slime from another Ghostbuster, you may remove all slime of a single type. (Except caustic slime)
When removing slime from yourself, you may forfeit your turn to remove all slime tokens from your character. (Except caustic slime)

Driving the Car- If a Ghostbuster is driving the ECTO-1/1A/2 and ends a movement next to 1 or more Ghostbuster next to a legal entry point, you may spend a maneuver to “pick up” those Ghostbusters. You cannot split a single move action, but can pick up fellow Ghostbusters in between two move actions by using a maneuver.

Switching Your Pack-

Switching between your own Proton and Slime blower packs costs 1 action, not all.

Switching another Ghostbuster’s pack costs 1 maneuver, not 1 action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lombard
United States
New Carlisle
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some of these sound really intriguing. I think I'll give them a try this week and see how things balance out. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Casorla
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
One homebrew rule I like is to add +1 to your dice roll for every stream already on a ghost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.