Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thought I posted this before, but don't see it...

There's a card that makes opponents discard down to 3 cards, and other cards that can make you discard/sacrifice/put additional cards out of your hand. In fact, without a draw of your offering table, it seems like an attack heavy round could easily put you down to a card or two in games with 3 or 4 players. Can you go down to zero cards in hand before you've had your turn? I scanned the rules, but didn't see any prohibition against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pieper
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, you can go down to zero cards in hand. This can happen even in a 2 player game -- actually it is not particularly unusual to build a combo deck which accomplishes this every single turn. The necessary cards are available every single game, after all, you just need to purchase them and thin your deck.

When I teach the game to new players, I make sure to warn people about how multiple attack cards can stack, and I emphasize that the Offering Table is literally the only defense card in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. Do you go this route. And how would you counter it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been awhile since I've seen this combo but from what I remember...

1) There really isn't any to counter it other than either keeping your offering table or buying the cards yourself so that the other player can't create the combo. There are a couple of abilities that give you card draw that you can use to replenish your hand after being attacked. Thats about it.

2) I seem to recall that this isn't a particularly useful strategy. You have to play at least two cards to get your opponents hand down to two cards. That leaves you with three cards. Unless they are high currency cards, you can't both buy and entomb, so you often end up shutting yourself down in the process of shutting your opponent down. This can be good if you are ahead as it runs down the game clock, but if you are behind, it really doesn't help you catch up. In fact, the last time this strategy was used against me, I still ended up winning the game because I had bought out a set of blue before they got the discard engine running. I was able to entomb my blue while my opps were forced buy cheaper cards and unable to complete sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark -

Aaron and David are spot on in their responses. Let's be clear about what cards are used and what they can do in a combo:

Inner Sarcophagus - Each opponent discards down to 3 cards. In a combo, this card should be played first.

Duamutef Canopic Jar - Each opponent discards a card. This one is played second.

Qebehsenuef Canopic Jar - Each opponent sacrifices a card. Now you play this one, and the opponent is probably going to sacrifice a really good card.

Statue of Bastet - Each opponent puts a card on top of your discard pile. If you play this too early in the combo, opponents will just give you trash. If you play it after forcing opponents to discard or sacrifice, you are likely to get some good stuff.

As devastating as this combo can be, it's difficult to set up, and may be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for playing my game.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Tom, my wife and I have enjoyed many plays.

With the 'repeat an action' card, and certain cards that allow you to draw more cards, it's possible to do even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.