Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I am going to GenCon for the first time this year along with my brothers and a friend. The Lord of the Rings event was high on our list but being noobs we failed to get tickets before they sold out in a flash.

We later managed to nab a single ticket, and now we are wondering. Would we be allowed to show up at the event with only a single ticket and still participate as a group with our single copy of the GenCon quest? Or does FFG police the tickets pretty carefully?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I have never participated in the event, so there's that caveat.

Sometimes my wife and I sit in on an event where only one of us has a ticket. One of us is the player while the other watches and advises. Usually it works out and there is no fuss.

However, you are talking about more than one with you. Table space (particularly for that event) is highly limited. And it is a highly competitive event. My guess is ordinarily it might not be a problem with one extra to be an involved spectator. But given limited seating and more than one of you, and the competitive nature of the event, my guess is they would only accept one at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no affiliation with FFG, so can only give the observation of one that has done a number of these. As noted, table space can be limited with a sold-out event. However, if you have the single ticket, you can check in and will get the deck for the Gencon quest. Then you and the group could just find a table somewhere in the convention center and play it at your leisure. It sounds like you'll have four players in the group anyhow, so there is little difference where you actually play the quest. There have not been any prizes or awards at the previous events, so no issue there. The reward is usually just the satisfaction of beating an ugly quest with a good group of folks, and it sounds like you already have that covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There you go. Not competitive like the other card events. Grab the deck they give you, head off with your group and you are good to go. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Buying a ticket only guarantees one person a seat at the event. If someone doesn't show, you can turn in generics to take that seat, but no guarantees. As mentioned above, you are best off getting the deck and playing unofficially with your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deeds
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what day you got the one ticket for but there is a Sunday game that has 16 seats open right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund
msg tools
mbmb
First time going to GenCon as well, can you spectate without having any tickets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.