Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it's a scenario based game, and a long one at that, I was wondering how this will work in my situation:

I will likely play partially on my own, partially with one of my sons, and less frequently with all three of my sons. There is also the chance that others would like to get a game in once in a while (friends).

So, given that the base game is a legacy style campaign, is it possible to vary the player count over the course of different scenarios? Is it possible for people to drop in and out?

What would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
The system scales each mission based on the levels of the characters participating as well as based on player count. So dropping in and out works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Dropping in and out works seamlessly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with both of my sons (age 15 and 19), and we have seen this approximate ratio:

* All three of us: 50%
* Me and the 15 year old: 40%
* Me and the 19 year old: 10%

They drop in and out without a hitch...the scenario level adjusts based on the collective character levels of whoever is playing. When one son is gone, we catch him up the next time we play.

I know you've gotten other responses that player variability is seamless, I just wanted to put my two cents in so that I could tell you how much fun it is to play this game with my boys. This game and Scythe are about the only games that have hit our table since February...it really is the best gaming experience out there right now. I'm excited for you to experience Gloomhaven with your sons...enjoy every minute of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Is it possible for people to drop in and out?

I'm also waiting (im)patiently for my game to arrive, and spending a whole lot of time thinking about how and who and where.

One thing that I learned recently on the "dropping in and out" idea is that it's possible for multiple people to play the same character, but their own version of the character (basically tracking progress on their own player-specific character sheet). So you might have two people playing the Cragheart, but it's not like player A is going to come back to a session next month and have missed a whole lot of character development for their guy, or have a bunch of new cards and equipment to learn all at once.

Naturally, both your Cragheart players can't play him at the same time, but I was pleased to discover that even occasional players can get a full sense of a developing character as they go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
You needn't be concerned because once your sons/friends get a taste of Gloomhaven they won't want to miss out on a single play session
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DMountford wrote:
agent easy wrote:
Is it possible for people to drop in and out?

So you might have two people playing the Cragheart, but it's not like player A is going to come back to a session next month and have missed a whole lot of character development for their guy, or have a bunch of new cards and equipment to learn all at once

Thanks for the feedback! These two thoughts seem contradictory to me, however. If they haven't missed the character development, then I would assume there is a bunch of new cards and equipment to learn. Am I miss understanding what you are trying to say? I don't know the rules st all, so maybe it's really obvious but I don't get it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Seems very promising so far.

So, it seems that characters of varying experience and abilities can adventure together, and it still works?

Or, as mentioned earlier, another option is the have a character be "the drop in character" that gets played by various players... that works too?

Finally, particularly in the first scenario, is it fun for the underpowered characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Varying experience is not only fine, but also anticipated, even for a play group that is always the same. This is because different characters will finish their personal quests and retire at different times anyway. So the game has in mind that a party will have different characters of different levels.

A drop in character is fine, but there isn't necessarily a need for it. If you think you might invite that person to play again (assuming they enjoy the game, which they will cool), then just let them create their own character.

I think what Diane was explaining earlier was that two different players are allowed to each create their own separate character of the same class. This works just fine except that if both players are in the same session together, one is going to have to switch to a different character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.