Legendary: X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: WSIB - This or Dark City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Warburton
msg tools
mbmb
Hey People,

I have the base set for legendary and am about to get either X-men or Dark City. I am an X-men fan, but am concerned that the jump from base to this set would render the base set stuff obsolete.

Which would you recommend and why?

Cheers in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rogers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of X-Men and haven't had a chance to play them all yet. Dark City was my 1st expansion but for me that was a no brainer as I wanted Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Nightcrawler, Iceman, and Xavier.
In a perfect world I'd say get both, you'll be all x-ed out ;P , but really it comes down to which characters you want to play. For me Dark City would still win this choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get X-Men now, you'll get the first printing card.
But I haven't had a chance to play it yet so I can't comment about the merits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I agree with the above, taking this expansion now will net you something that you can't otherwise get. So assuming you actually like this game and will get both, you are better off picking Xmen now if you only pick one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base stuff will not become obsolete. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow or Hulk are still some of the most powerful heroes in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Secret Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's positives and negatives to UDE's approach to expansions, in that they have to all be compatible with one of the base sets. On the whole, however, there is no one set I WOULDN'T recommend - if you're an X-Men fan, this is the set to get. Dark City is also very good for both Marvel Knights fans (me) and X-Men fans (occasionally me), and X-Force fans (not me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
I have almost all the Legendary sets and have played a few games of Legendary XMen. I think it honestly depends what era and heroes you like. Making that all star line up of my favorite heroes to fight my favorite villains and playing legendary is what I enjoy out of it.

And for me, that set is Dark City. Even though this set is called "X-men" I would say Dark City has more quintessential x-men in terms of villains. For Apocalypse alone I would buy Dark City. I love playing against him and his four horsemen. They are super hard and making a lineup that includes the Summers family of Cyclops Cable and Jean grey with maybe forge and someone else to help is loads of fun. Feels like I'm reliving some comic book line.

The new set legendary Xmen is also loads of fun but personally I wouldnt be able to live without apocalypse. I really like the new Colossus/Wolverine split card and I enjoy the new piercing damage. Theres a fine balance between going all in with piercing and having a more diverse deck. Piercing is super strong but you might not be able to buy everything to support it so you will have to get some regular attacks and the new set has berserk which is a lot of fun but can wiff.

Seeing Shi'ar stuff, onslaught and dark phoenix excite me for the villains. The other ones are meh for me. There hero mechanics are all cool but they are not all my personal favorite.

So I would suggest finding which heroes/villains you like the most and buy that set because theyre both awesome. For me I would not be able to live without Apocalypse.... now if only they could make a better Thanos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it that you enjoy most? Theme or Mechanics?

To a certain extent buying the sets in order of release kind of show the evolution of the game mechanics.

If it's theme though, you can just buy which set has heroes you like the most.

It's all fun, and there is no really wrong order to buy the sets in. Hope you enjoy whichever set you pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Svensson
msg tools
I haven't tried it too much, but I feel like UpperDeck has hired some new talent that has made the text in the new set more descriptive and instructional while at the same time clearer and shorter. I would recommend this most recent set over any other set. Really I'd put the Civil War and Guardians sets over the Dark City set as well. The mechanics of the game can be a bit confusing, so the newest changes really improve on the "fun" of the game. IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.