Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched the review video and had the thought midway through "how does it do with 2 players". He kind of addressed it but it still seems that with 2 people, there's little that forces you into conflict. So will there be a way to remove spaces from play for lower player counts or perhaps a 2 player board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Black hole tokens are used exactly to this purpose. Essentially, the board "shrinks" to half the size when you play with 2 players (or to 3/4 of the size when you play with 3 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. Played a two-player game last night and in two hours never came anywhere close to the middle point of the board. I suppose if both players are going full on for expansion then they could meet, but I don't expect it will happen very often.

My concern was how long it took us (and granted we were learning the game AND the Tabletopia interface as we went). I wonder how long a four-player game could take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2 player game to build 9 bases you have to expand to half of the board. It's not needed to expand to other player territory.

However due competion for other victory conditions and because there are Conflict cards to use... players might want to battle for some other advantages.

Also, I believe Tabletopia proposes just a prototype version of the game. If we look into kickstarter pictures we see that there are bases of 3 types (different minis). I would guess a player may decide which type of base to build (and so which politics card to draw), instead of "fixed sequence" in the rules.

Current rules make me no choice but to build 3 bases in the home system. If I could choose a base type, then there is no strong requirement to build bases in the same one system. And that may increase competition for the systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Würfel Reviews
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
Just watched the review video and had the thought midway through "how does it do with 2 players". He kind of addressed it but it still seems that with 2 people, there's little that forces you into conflict. So will there be a way to remove spaces from play for lower player counts or perhaps a 2 player board?

We did a preview and a 2p Playthrough of Master of the Galaxy on our channel. Check them out and I'm sure you can get some useful information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played a couple of 2 player games now on Tabletopia. Only once has there been a direct conflict between the two of us. To be fair though, neither one of us are very conflict driven. We both are content to just work on our supremacy symbols, so I think it says more about us as players then it does about the game design blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
>If we look into kickstarter pictures we see that there are bases of 3 types (different minis).

I could be wrong, but I think these are only samples of 3-D bases that will be made possible through stretch goals and each player (or race) will have a different model. The rules only show one type of base (round token).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
>If we look into kickstarter pictures we see that there are bases of 3 types (different minis).

I could be wrong, but I think these are only samples of 3-D bases that will be made possible through stretch goals and each player (or race) will have a different model. The rules only show one type of base (round token).

I don't think they are a stretch goal. I asked in the KS preview which bases are coming in the game and Ares said the 3d minis will be used, not the wooden discs. Sounds to me that it's going to be like that for retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
We've played a couple of 2 player games now on Tabletopia. Only once has there been a direct conflict between the two of us. To be fair though, neither one of us are very conflict driven. We both are content to just work on our supremacy symbols, so I think it says more about us as players then it does about the game design blush

Could be moreso about the players.

I think in the 2P, there isn't a ton of interaction in the beginning, but if someone is aiming for expansion/conquest and the other has expanded a little, then there will be conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.