Cleric By Dinnertime
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm trying to attack volkare but he's currently on top of a rampaging dragon. What's the ruling? Do I have to kill the dragon first so I can then enter volkares space? Or does the dragon just get added to volkares army while I attack? Or do I just ignore it?

Been playing this game for years and this unique situation finally came up.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play it in one of two ways:

1) rule that you cannot move onto a rampaging enemy, and therefore cannot attack Volkare.

2) rule that you can, because Volkare is there, in which case the rampaging enemy is added to the combat ("Any rampaging enemies provoked by players movement also join the battle. Keep them separated; if you do not kill them, this does not affect the outcome of the battle.")

Unfortunately AFAIK there is nothing in the rules to clarify this. (1) is the straight rules-as-written interpretation, while (2) is essentially a thematic interpretation that seems to make a lot of sense to me (EDIT: and to Vlaada, apparently - see below).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't exactly the same, but Vlaada explained that if Volkare is in an unconquered fortified space (keep, tower) you can attack him; just ignore the fortified place. So, for me, that'd indicate that you also ignore the rampage enemy.

Edit: As posted below, Ben's answer is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
It isn't exactly the same, but Vlaada explained that if Volkare is in an unconquered fortified space (keep, tower) you can attack him; just ignore the fortified place. So, for me, that'd indicate that you also ignore the rampage enemy.

Maybe you can just ignore the field completely (as Volkare does), but if you defeat him, the field is not considered safe and you have to retreat (no matter if an unconquererd keep or a rampaging enemy).

Edit: That being said, it probably does not make sense what I said with regard to mountains or lakes :-) So maybe not "completely", but "everything except the terrain" (which Volkare also ignores, obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
Maybe you can just ignore the field completely (as Volkare does), but if you defeat him, the field is not considered safe and you have to retreat
Well, if you defeat him, you won and the game is over. It doesn't really matter if the place is safe or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:

My apologies. That is an obvious 3rd option that I overlooked. Still, I prefer to keep the distinction between fortified enemies (who have absolutely no interest in fighting you) and rampaging enemies (who actively seek you out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
cityofsolitude wrote:
Maybe you can just ignore the field completely (as Volkare does), but if you defeat him, the field is not considered safe and you have to retreat
Well, if you defeat him, you won and the game is over. It doesn't really matter if the place is safe or not

True

On the other hand, you might get a last turn in some scenarios and there is always Time Bending

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
syzygia wrote:

My apologies. That is an obvious 3rd option that I overlooked. Still, I prefer to keep the distinction between fortified enemies (who have absolutely no interest in fighting you) and rampaging enemies (who actively seek you out).
Sorry, the answer was in the thread I linked:
Vlaada wrote:
This is a tricky question, we changed it a lot, I had to take a look to rulebook to see what was the final version... and found there is none. Sorry for that. The problem is some rules for Volkare are generic and some are scenario specific. We had more scenarios in mind than the ones that made it into the rulebook, so we kept the generic part thin.

However, the way we played the current scenarios is d). The space features are used only to count movement cost (and you cannot attack Volkare if you are unable enter the terrain), the enemies and sites on the space are ignored, except for a fortification effect. If you end up on an unsafe space after defeating Volkare, you have to withdraw. Not that it matters in these scenarios, as they end if you defeated Volkare. Might be specified more exactly in eventual future scenarios.

Yeah. The amount of special cases in other cases was too big. Ignoring them all (except for rampaging, but they act as they always do) is non-problematic. Actually, strictly logic way would be you cannot attack Volkare when he is standing on rampaging enemies (you would have to challenge them first)...

... but to lose your scenario because of single orc diggers, although you have strength to defeat 30 of them, would be kind of anti-climactic
So you were right, Ben, let me edit my previous answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.