Subject: I wish the test results where colored text. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I have a pie-in-the-sky wish. I wish that in the quest book, the quest paragraph and choices had been black, but the outcomes and rewards were colored some other primary color, like blue. Then a colored transparency sheet could have been overlain to make a solo-with-quests mode more of an option.

Maybe in a future N&F expansion quest book...

(Edit: Won't work. See below.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a super cool idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I have a pie-in-the-sky wish. I wish that in the quest book, the quest paragraph and choices had been black, but the outcomes and rewards were colored some other primary color, like blue. Then a colored transparency sheet could have been overlain to make a solo-with-quests mode more of an option.

Maybe in a future N&F expansion quest book...

Would that still work for people who are colour blind? I think it's a great idea, but feel it would limit the game for those that could play it.

Edit: Or those with vision issues? I know of one poster in the Women's forums whose husband is almost legally blind. She had made a suggestion during the campaign to have the paragraph of choices on the left hand side and then the rewards on the right hand side. That way she could put a piece of paper down that side of the book so she could read her own quests and not spoil her options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Actually, duh, optics fail. I just realized this wouldn't work at all. Blue text through a blue filter will look black. It won't disappear. *facepalm* The only way it'd work wouldn't be great for any time OTHER than using the filter.

Oh well, I guess an app is the only good way. X)

ParisPink: I think the biggest problem with printing it this way would be that it'd take more paper, and thus increase the size of the rulebook. This would increase costs in printing, as well as shipping (weighs more), box size (might have to be bigger because it all just barely stacks in there for me as it is (and bigger boxes can mean higher shipping).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Actually, duh, optics fail. I just realized this wouldn't work at all. Blue text through a blue filter will look black. It won't disappear.

Blue text through a blue filter will look blue. The problem is that the page will also look blue, so the text will actually be harder to read - it almost disappears!

The traditional way that this is done is to print some text in blue, then overprint it with random text in red. The eye can't easily distinguish the blue underneath all the shape noise in red, so the blue text is illegible.
When a bit of red acetate is positioned over the top, the white paper looks red and thus the red overprinted text disappears, but the blue shows as black and is clearly legible.

(You can simulate this overprinting in Photoshop or similar graphics packages by adding a layer over the top of the blue text, filling it with red text, and then setting the layer blending mode to "multiply".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
Blue text through a blue filter will look blue. The problem is that the page will also look blue, so the text will actually be harder to read - it almost disappears![/quote]

Technically, a perfect blue filter wouldn't block the perfect blue text. But filters aren't perfect and so they'd block a little of it. But realistically, the blue text would look black to human eyes when next to the much lighter blue of the white page going through the blue filter.

I think it would only come close to disappearing if the text was printed in a very light blue, which wouldn't work as it'd be super hard to read even without the filter. My (bad) idea was that the text would be printed in a much deeper blue that would be perfectly readable unfiltered.

[quote]The traditional way that this is done is to print some text in blue, then overprint it with random text in red. The eye can't easily distinguish the blue underneath all the shape noise in red, so the blue text is illegible.
When a bit of red acetate is positioned over the top, the white paper looks red and thus the red overprinted text disappears, but the blue shows as black and is clearly legible.

Yep. That's what I was referring to as "The only way it'd work wouldn't be great for any time OTHER than using the filter."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason: Ryan actually responded to her comment and said that it was a good idea, but that the Quest book was already completed and that re-formating it in that manner would take a lot of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.