Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I was talking to a friend the other day and he just played monopoly with his son for the first time (don't judge, they are not gamers... yet) and he said that it was so fun to see the excitement in his son as he discovered the game.

Now, that sense of discovery is something we all feel (I assume) when we open a shrink box and do the ritual of component punching, rule book reading, and first play excitement. Sometimes the more we play a game the more we discover about it but that first time play is something special.

What games would you like to experience for the first time again?

For me I would love to play again for the first time:

Seasons - where the mystery of what the cards are, what they do, and the possible combos would be great to experience again.

Dominion - remember the first time you saw this game and all the possibilities. That would be good to relive that.

Pandemic and Defenders of the Realm - The first time you beat a cooperative game (the newness at the time) by sheer skill.

What about you?

Edit: It should be noted that when I open a game I read the instructions but do not look at every single card. Yes, the first plays are choppy but I like the discovery. Other people may have different shrink opening or first play rituals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. Any game I actually like, I appreciate the experience I have gotten from it and would rather not go back to square one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First plays tend to be messy and slow.

Aside from something narrative based (campaign, legacy, mystery), I can't think of a good reason to want to start from scratch.

Rediscovering combos or clever mechanics wouldn't be enough incentive for me to go back to looking up rules, poor plays, and long teaching sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jukes
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror for me. Game absolutely blew my mind the first time I played it, and lead to me going and reading many of Lovecraft's short stories. Would be fun to relive those experiences for the first time again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, interesting question.

MANY years ago I remember playing my first game of Talisman...think it was first edition...like I said, long ago. It would have been one of the first board games I played that was not mainstream. I used to call it a cross between Monopoly and D&D. That was great. I like to relive that.

Same with Wiz War. Had a blast playing that LONG ago.

However, I'd say for these two, time and place was a huge factor.

For current games...perhaps Dead of Winter.

OH! Almost forgot. I would LOVE to replay Pandemic Legacy for the first time (again). My group managed to get through the entire game with nobody missing any of the gatherings. I really think the Legacy feature of the game played a key role in that.

I'm looking forward to reading other posts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Litovka
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of Reason wrote:
OH! Almost forgot. I would LOVE to replay Pandemic Legacy for the first time (again).

Came to the thread to write exactly this! I can't convince myself to buy the 2nd box (especially since there is 2nd season to be released soon), but I would do this in a moment if I could experience it like the 1st time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Boily
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Space Alert!
It was also the first game i bought before trying it. It was a blast. This game will remain in my favorite for a long time. Been 4 years already .

I rarely play it because it's so tense and I mostly play solo these days. All my friends often talk to me about this space game with monster where you yell at each other. So much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan.

Because it was the first Euro I ever played. I had always liked to play games, but all of the games I had played before were now like sand in my mouth. I couldn't wait to play Catan again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragedy Looper. I prefer playing the protagonist side which gets to deduce things rather than the mastermind, who is trying to obfuscate that deduction. However, once you play a scenario, you can no longer play as a protagonist as the game relies on spoilers. Now the only scenarios I haven't had spoiled to me are too complicated to have someone else take over as a first time mastermind cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
Catan.

Because it was the first Euro I ever played. I had always liked to play games, but all of the games I had played before were now like sand in my mouth. I couldn't wait to play Catan again.

This. Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Caylus. My learning game was a 5 player game, everyone but me had played at least once
- Rules explained well but at a hurried pace
- Teacher had hoarse throat from the previous day and needed a microphone
- I was feeling some con crud myself
- Then I got to go last
- AND that flippin floppin mother scratcher going first practically demanded we switch player colors. Really?

Sometimes... in the full bird nest, one misses out at feeding time. Help me Provost, you're my only hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish I could play Diplomacy again for the first time. But this time, lose badly. Unfortunately, I did really well that first game, fell in love with it and have spent far *far* too many hours playing over the years. Maybe if I had lost, I'd have never played again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Banner
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Champions of Midgard - I remember bringing it out for the first time with my partner. The board was the largest board I owned at the time and I was amazed at its table presence. It took us 4 hours to learn and play the game and I was smiling the whole time mainly at the whole concept of the dice being my warriors. I wanted to immediately play again, however it was 1am at this point and coffee was past helping my partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I speak from a game designer and developer's perspective.

I would love to experience playing my own game design for the first time, instead of play it with all the knowledge gained from hundreds of playtests and application of changes and tweaks along the way. I sometimes wonder what my game design will feel like to me, as a completely new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos Strikes Back for sure!

...oh, you mean boardgame? Well, I'll go with Terra Mystica then. Not knowing the strengths and weaknesses of all the races and discovering basic strategies again would be great.

Dominion is up there, too, with its endless possible combinations.

Also, Epic Card Game. For a Magic player like me, the thought of 18/18 tramplers that only cost 1 mana satisfies my inner Timmy immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy.

Such a great experience, I'd love to re-live that with the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End. I was so impressed. I still am. But I want to be like "wow, that's a good game. Wait no, it's actually a great game. Wait no, it's actually an amazingly well thought-out game!" over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve years ago, Tigris & Euphrates absolutely, completely and totally blew my mind and was the beginning of a very slippery slope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind exploring The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Trajan.

One of the few games that I played a few times in a row after the first game, the mancala action selection system just blew me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

HeroQuest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting question. It's funny before I read OP, I immediately thought of answering it negatively as did some others. As in what game did I have a bad experience learning and would like to have done differently.

That would be say being thrown into Arkham Horror as a newbie gamer based on my doctor's recommendation (he is a gamer and we talk about games when I am about to feel some "discomfort"). It was way over my head, and I learned it solo. I am not sure I have ever beat it without inadvertently "cheating."

Another notable mishap was trying to learn Bora Bora out of the box at a con with my partner's non gaming sister and a guy who was very hard of hearing. Any one of those three things I could have handled, but together, decoding and communicating was challenging...I am amazed we ever played Feld again!

Mage Knight Board Game - me and the smartest guy in one of my game groups spent four painful hours one summer afternoon. We each read one book, but oh so overwhelming, each step requiring reference and clarification. Especially as this was the first time we ever hung outside of the group. But I have learned it, and we have an idea to play again, he is willing as am I but finding a day, ugh.

I do notice that I am willing to give a game a second chance/time to reveal itself, and I am often influenced by the setting as to how much I love a game. I will often have a great time with a group, then get the game, and it is not as exciting as I remember. The people who introduce me to new games are very influential in my memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Panamax. It made me realize, much like Theodore Geisel's Green Eggs and Ham, that I actually enjoy well-done but fast-playing economic games. Plus I played with just a great group of folks at Origins for my first game.

Troyes. Bought on a whim right after it was released in 2010. So much fun and I'd never found a dice-driven game I had enjoyed prior to that one. Made me re-evaluate all of my ratings for my collection.

Tigris & Euphrates. Mind simply blown.

Up Front. Continually owned since 1983. I'd want to remember the very first game of what's become a bit of an obsession (I forgot to record maybe the first 20-or-so games I ever played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cop-out but T.I.M.E Stories. Asylum is my favorite scenario and this experience completely turned around my opinion on Legacy/one-play games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.