Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Fallen behind on the campaign, could use some strategy advice [NO SPOILERS] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Arantes
Brazil
Alaska
flag msg tools
Hello, guys.

So, our campaign is on Prologue + 7 games, opened boxes 1-4 (we just opened box 4 in our last game). Here's our situation: Score is 78 / 78 / 63 / 48 / 46.

- Players #1 and #2 are in a real neck-to-neck race since the start of the campaign, changing positions almost every game, having ended last the game in a tie.
- Player #3 is the one most experienced in board gaming, a fan of heavy euros and he started leading the campaign, having won the first 2 games. After that he fell behind from a couple of bad decisions and has been stuck to 3rd place until now.
- Player #4 (me) did a decent first game, but 2nd and 3rd were TERRIBLE (I scored like 2 points on the second game and 1 on the third). In the 5th game I botched a REALLY easy roll to do something very important, and on the 7th devoted all my resources to pursue a milestone, which was taken by player #3 one turn too soon.
- Player #5 is a newbie of-sorts to board games and is only picking up the pace now. Also, he had to miss the 3rd play session, scoring REAL low due to MY low score (reminding: rules state that if someone miss a play session, that player scores as much as the lowest score for that game, minus 1).

So, as you can see, there are 2 "gaps" in the campaign, one from me to player #3, and another from him to #2. More importantly, #1 an #2 got REALLY good at the game, so EVEN with me having WON the last game, both of them also scored high, keeping the gaps wide open. #5 also picked up, so from 4th game onward, we all kept the relative score more or less the SAME. Me and #5 close at the bottom, #3 in the middle, #1 and #2 only 1 to 2 points apart TOPS changing positions often.

Now,... what can I and #5 do to try to close the gap? I understand that scoring high is a must, but that's not helping because THEY are also scoring pretty high in every game. Actually, everybody has been scoring close to each other for 3 games now, and the gaps keep staying the same. The catch-up mechanics don't seem to be enough to close that gap, so what would you guys suggest? I really want to get back in the game, but this is being really hard =\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Smith
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler free!!!!

So, the first 8 games I was 4th in a 4 player game by 35 points at one point. What I did was change my engine to not win games but build up a solid base. Look over the current version of your rulebook and find things that carry over to the next game. Play the economic game and work on your explore. Somewhere around game 8 you will start seeing that all those carry over items start stacking with your differentials. I started winning a majority of games after game 10. I am now winning either first or second, now that we are approaching end game.

As for your ship upgrades, you will want to get 4 in sail, followed by 4 hold, then 5 explore in one and 5 raid in the other. This will lead to a versatile layout. Afterwards you can upgrade sail 5 in each and work on hold.

TLDR; make sure you grab carry over items for each game and build a long term engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn L
Canada
flag msg tools
It depends.
What have you been doing thus far?
Have you been predominantly exploring, building, raiding, or pursuing the merchant strategy?

At this stage in the campaign, I suggest only using the merchant strategy to fund upgrades and buildings.

Also, might I suggest investing in the research deck if you have not already done so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the rubber banding is not strong enough on its own if all you're trying to do is race for points. Even if you win the next few games, you need massive wins in order to catch up. Meaning, not only do you have to win, but you have to make it so the guys in first have some of those really low-scoring games you experienced.

So my honest advice is for you to just treat each game as its own thing and try to forget about the campaign score. Winning games gets you permanent upgrades, which are valuable even if you aren't closing the gap in campaign glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my strategy. It might actually suck, but I feel like I'm building a pretty strong base here. I could be deluded.

I try to win. After all, winning means upgrading something permanently (Reputation of 7 feels pretty good). If it looks like I won't win, then I focus only on acquiring things that can carry over from game to game. Buying buildings and upgrades do me no good if they don't help me win.

So far, I've been staying in second place the entire time. I don't win every game. The games where I don't win, I score pretty poorly, so that lets me take advantage of the catch-up mechanism.

I honestly don't know how important campaign score is. If that is the final determination, then winning the campaign doesn't feel that important to me. I like getting permanent upgrades and falling behind enough to get some coins.

Our group has a wider gap than yours. We played a game today where the last place got 12 packets of compensation. After this game, he now gets 13--maybe even 14.

I'm not sure if my strategy will work in the end, but I'll keep it going for now. It seems more fun than trying to get as many points as possible, so that's good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other commenters that it is unlikely you can win on campaign score. However, you may very well still be able to be the one who discovers the island at the end of the world.

Since you asked for no spoilers I can't comment as to how, but my generic suggestion is to forget about glory and focus on that objective instead. If you think such a thing would be fun, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
I agree with the other commenters that it is unlikely you can win on campaign score. However, you may very well still be able to be the one who discovers the island at the end of the world.

Since you asked for no spoilers I can't comment as to how, but my generic suggestion is to forget about glory and focus on that objective instead. If you think such a thing would be fun, that is.

It seems to me (still going through it) that finding the island would be way cooler than actually winning the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn L
Canada
flag msg tools
A 30-point deficit at 7-8 games into your campaign isn't insurmountable.
Our campaign had several instances of players (the same player, actually) make 12-15 point recoveries.

Yes, winning the campaign is unlikely, but not impossible.

Go for the milestones and go for research, as it carries over between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick silly comment: structures and upgrades *do* give you a *permanent* benefit in the form of glory. And since glory is how you win both games and the campaign, I disagree with your statement that they "do you no good".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Just a quick silly comment: structures and upgrades *do* give you a *permanent* benefit in the form of glory. And since glory is how you win both games and the campaign, I disagree with your statement that they "do you no good".

You may be right. I don't have a clue what the endgame is like.

Right now my instinct is to enjoy the +3 Gold or +1 Fortune/Reputation in the next game. This may be shooting myself in the foot, and I defer to anyone more experienced than me (which is anyone who finished the game and then some).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Smith
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So,

We finished out game this weekend and I lost by 1 point on campaign points. The difference between first and last place was only 10 points. The last 5 games had each player specializing in a scoring track and doing it well.

I would say if you are falling behind, that you go find a scoring avenue that the other players are not going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.