Lori Friedmann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I have recently become an avid gamer in the board game arena and love playing all kinds of games. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is not a fan of board games in general and refused to play with me unless it is Catan. So I poked a little more to figure out what exactly it is about Catan that he loves so much and I have come to the conclusion that it is the resource gathering and ability to trade said resources.

My goal is to introduce him to other games that I think he would like so that we can play together more often and hopefully convert him into a board game junkie as well.
-Remember kids, if you are a junkie, make sure you pressure your friends into becoming addicted so you can be addicted together -

Anyway, I have already read the similar thread that was created a while ago:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/682734/games-settlers-catan

But as I mentioned previously, I would like to narrow this down a bit more with a specific game mechanic. Any suggestions? From the other thread I got Ad Astra but I am not really sure if that is what's going to draw him in particularly because it isn't drawing me in heheh.
In addition, I considered Agricola but since I haven't played it I am not sure how big it is on resource gathering.
Finally I have considered that he may enjoy Stone Age but I myself have not played that yet either (on preorder, super excited to try it) so I could definitely be wrong.

Anyone have some good ideas? Can you provide me with the gem that he will actually enjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is not a bad place to start looking. At the Gates of Loyang is another game by that guy that I think is being reprinted that's lighter and has lots of resources in it.

There are lots of catan expansions

Mundus Novus is a fun trading game but out of print.

Antiquity but that's a little daunting looking (it's really not that hard to play. Also not back in print yet, but soon.)

Keyflower and Key Harvest are about collecting and converting resources (Key market too, but out or print. You can come to by house and play it.)

Scythe if he likes steampunky type games with big mechs in it.

Deus and Concordia are pretty simple euros that kinda involves trading resources you get.

I dunno. That's just a list of some of my favorite games. I have introduced them all to people, some newer gamers, without issues. But I could imagine issues too. It's hard without knowing your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
While working with different mechanics, Machi Koro has a similar feel, partly because the dice strategies. If you're looking specifically for the games with a trading mechanic, look here. If you sort by Rank in the bottom list, you'll generally find a list of very good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
And, if you're looking specifically for games you can play together, perhaps Jaipur. (It's quite easy to come by in most Friendly Local Game Stores.) And, if I might add, I think you'll get a much better idea of the games from their video sections. I've been getting into Dice Tower Reviews and Rahdo Run Throughs. Here's one of Rahdo's from Jaipur.

video

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No trading in Agricola. If it is the 'I negotiate with others' aspect that he likes, Agricola will not do it for him.

See if you can get a copy of Chinatown, but it seems to be out of print. Genoa seems easier to get -- at least here in Europe. YMMV. In Genoa, pretty much everything is negotiatable, 'if you let me take that square, I will give you these things' not just commodities. So you have to really like trading to like this game, but if that happens to be what you need, this is a very good game to play.

You cannot play Chinatown with 2. You can play Genoa with 2, but it's not that much fun at that player count. Do you need a game that is good with 2, as well? I would think not, given that Catan isn't that good with 2, but thought I had better ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago is an interesting beast that adds a great social element to the resource collecting formula. You can freely trade and buy resources from other players or with the in-game markets.

"Shut Up and Sit Down" reviewed it and compared it to Catan - can't remember exactly what they said sorry.

It is described as semi-cooperative which just means that the players have to contribute to keeping the game alive but this can be an intense game of chicken.

It has three play lengths built in to enable a quicker game if needed and due to the nature of the insert that comes in the box it is actually quicker to set up than Catan.

Anyway, hope you find something great that you both have fun with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with mister P here.
We have not really played catan since playing Archipelago .
Played catan to death or has it been replaced?.
Not sure as Star Trek catan still appeals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Friedmann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Archipelago sounds like an interesting option. I am definitely gonna look that up to see how it is played. I'll have to see how the trading comes into play as you mentioned it is a cooperative game. A great suggestion nonetheless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Friedmann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
And, if I might add, I think you'll get a much better idea of the games from their video sections. I've been getting into Dice Tower Reviews and Rahdo Run Throughs.

Most definitely I have been watching a lot of run throughs from both of those guys actually. It's really the only I can get a feel for the game before I buy it.

lacreighton wrote:
No trading in Agricola. If it is the 'I negotiate with others' aspect that he likes, Agricola will not do it for him.

See if you can get a copy of Chinatown, but it seems to be out of print. Genoa seems easier to get -- at least here in Europe. YMMV. In Genoa, pretty much everything is negotiatable, 'if you let me take that square, I will give you these things' not just commodities. So you have to really like trading to like this game, but if that happens to be what you need, this is a very good game to play.

You cannot play Chinatown with 2. You can play Genoa with 2, but it's not that much fun at that player count. Do you need a game that is good with 2, as well? I would think not, given that Catan isn't that good with 2, but thought I had better ask.

I'm not really planning on just playing with the 2 of us. I'm a pretty big fan of 4 players as I feel that is a prime number for most of my games. I think I'll also look into Genoa because that sounds like a possible game he may enjoy.

I keep considering Agricola but I have been hesitant because you can't trade resources and my boyfriend was pretty clear that that is part of what he liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I help run a local auction for used board games, which happens every year. Agricola is, by far, the game that the most people bought 'because it had good ratings' and then couldn't stand to play. Always plenty of them to auction. I strongly recommend all would-be purchasers of Agricola get a game in somewhere before they buy it, so they won't be up for an expensive disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Brew Crafters? Plus the theme might draw him in. BC is similar to Agicola, Caverna and Viticulture but you run and expand your micro brewery and Brewpub instead of a farm, cave etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Caverna I hear is a good game and a bit more play friendly then Agricola. I have been looking at it. There are not many games like Catan, personally not one of my favorites as there is a good element of luck in there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As someone who has recently bought Agricola,and in general hasn't played a huge number of games, I don't really understand all the talk of Agricola being unfriendly.

In the ten or so games I've played I've only once got a begging card, and that was only due to me miscalculating how much food I needed that turn. I don't know how different it is with more than two players, but in my experience you would have to be pretty over sensitive to think the game was particularly mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Lords of Vegas might suit the bill. You get stuff on other people's turns. You can trade stuff for money or other stuff. You build on a map and possibly block people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Vegas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem odd, but I think you might take a look at Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. It's actually a bit lighter than Catan, but the resource-gathering actually involves pushing your luck and mitigating die rolls rather than being pure chance, and the rules optionally include trading (which I recommend).

It also has the advantages of a shorter play time, working just fine with 2 (or even 1 if you're interested); I think it has nice components (all wood everything), but I suppose that's a matter of taste. You can also upgrade to the slightly more "gamery" Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age expansion for free if you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Friedmann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have been holding off on Agricola because in all honesty it doesn't really appeal to me that much. If I did go for it, Caverna does seem like a better choice though as I like having more options it provides. However, I think I will take Laura Creighton's advice and hold off on it until I can play test it first.

I looked up Archipelago, per some of your suggestions and right now I am really really loving it's game mechanics! So I think I'll probably dive in head first and buy it. It looks like a game my boyfriend may enjoy but even if he doesn't it will be one more I can add to my own collection.

Panzer2C wrote:
What about Brew Crafters? Plus the theme might draw him in.

In all honesty the theme may actually turn him away from Brew Crafters before he even tries it. laugh

losfp wrote:
I think Lords of Vegas might suit the bill. You get stuff on other people's turns. You can trade stuff for money or other stuff. You build on a map and possibly block people.

I remember watching a playthrough of Lords of Vegas not too long ago. It seems really similar to Chinatown that Laura suggested. I don't know which one would be better in the end. On the other hand, I don't think it will be the game to draw him in. However, he could surprise me! So I think I will put one of those on the list but probably won't be a priority.

wamsp wrote:
This may seem odd, but I think you might take a look at Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. It's actually a bit lighter than Catan, but the resource-gathering actually involves pushing your luck and mitigating die rolls rather than being pure chance, and the rules optionally include trading (which I recommend).

Roll through the Ages also looks interesting. I think this would be another game I would want to play test before purchasing but I'm definitely making note of it.

As of now Archipelago is a for sure winner! I really think he may actually enjoy it. Worse comes to worse I'll be buying it for myself and I will definitely enjoy it!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions though!! I am making sure to look up each one and make notes of them! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared VZ
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mb
If the theme isn't a problem, Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem is your game. Worker placement with gathering resources (guns, contraband, money), trading, negotiating and some combat. Works great with 4. Genoa and Lords of Vegas would also be my suggestions, but have already been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Friedmann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Antiquity but that's a little daunting looking (it's really not that hard to play. Also not back in print yet, but soon.)

Also shout out to Derry for alerting me to Antiquity just in the midst of its reprint! Between this and Archipelago, I am now broke..shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.