msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rather than try to store the cards thusly:
Arkham (base & Miskatonic)
Arkham (from Dunwich)
Arkham (from Kingsport)
Arkham (From Innsmouth)
and make up the deck before every game --

Are there any downsides to just using the whole pile even if the expansion is not being used? You have some thematic references, but does that affect game play?
Although "wrong theme" cards would dilute the appearance of "correct theme" cards.

Probably sensible to keep the Small Box cards separate though ???

Not practical to draw & discard cards that don't fit, because the player's don't know the codes etc so the "GM" would have to draw all the cards for everyone.

With a big deck you wouldn't want to shuffle the deck before each draw, so that saves time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the question.

The location decks aren't used in one huge deck. They're individual decks for each neighborhood you're using. If you're not using expansion boards, you won't be using the location decks, either.

Are you talking about the new cards in Arkham location decks, ie.: cards from expansions that are added to arkham encounters? In that case: I tossed em all in, and they're all in use. I modify the Mythos deck if I want to focus on a specific theme.

There's also some very nice suggestions for setups in the variants forum and in the download section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could keep them all in there and if you draw a card for an expansion not being used, just draw again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
You could keep them all in there and if you draw a card for an expansion not being used, just draw again.

"
Not practical to draw & discard cards that don't fit, because the player's don't know the codes etc so the "GM" would have to draw all the cards for everyone."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:

Are you talking about the new cards in Arkham location decks, ie.: cards from expansions that are added to arkham encounters? In that case: I tossed em all in, and they're all in use. I modify the Mythos deck if I want to focus on a specific theme.

"Are there any downsides to just using the whole pile even if the expansion is not being used? You have some thematic references, but does that affect game play?

would "wrong theme" cards would dilute the appearance of "correct theme" cards."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lane
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
broggi wrote:

Yeah, we play AH that way all the time, because we're too lazy to re-sort the card decks for each game. You need some house rules about what to do when you draw a card that's obviously inappropriate for the board you're playing. For example, our rule for the Mythos deck is that if the gate-opening location mentioned on the card isn't on any of the expansion boards we have in play, discard it and take another one. If the card's gate location is in play, but its text effect is for someplace that isn't, we take it and ignore the text effect (which is a benefit to the players most times). You can make it harder by discarding cards unless all effects of the card are relevant to the board(s) in play. Working like this sometimes interrupts gameplay slightly, as you have to draw a few cards to get one that's relevant, but that's a small price to pay for not having to spend a lot of time rebuilding the decks for each game. There are a lot of cards in those decks if you have all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.