Subject: Supply Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
Hello, I had a quick question about supply. If a units supply is cut mid action phase, is the penalty enforced immediately? Also, OOS units can only move one, and in the direction of a supply source. Can this movement initiate combat? If not, can it move into a contested hex? If the contested hex is friendly controlled and in supply, would this put the unit back in supply immediately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep in mind that there are two different states regarding OOS.

i) There is a unit that is determined to be OOS and given an OOS Marker during the Production Phase. This marker cannot be removed during the Action Phases except with a ReSupply Action costing a Logistics Point.

ii) There is a unit that is not given an OOS Marker during production, but during the Action Phase finds itself not connected by a Supply Line.

These are two different things, considering both of them to be OOS is wrong and will lead to rules confusion.

With that in mind...

===========================================================

1 - If a units supply is cut mid action phase, is the penalty enforced immediately?

Sort of.

i) For units with an OOS Marker this question doesn't apply.

ii) For units without an OOS Marker, but who have lost their Supply Line:

7.2 - Note: Supply is allocated only during a Production Phase. However, play may cause blocks to lose their Supply Line. In this event, blocks that were allocated supply but can no longer trace a Supply Line suffer the OOS penalties for movement only.

So for these units you would check for a supply line before movement, and apply the movement restrictions if they don't have one, but the combat penalty doesn't apply to these units.

2 - Also, OOS units can only move one, and in the direction of a supply source. Can this movement initiate combat?

The rules do not say it cannot initiate combat, so I assume it is possible.

i) However, you would only roll half the dice for the SPs marked with an OOS marker in the Production Phase, and these units cannot use artillery unless there are other, In Supply units in the hex.

ii) For units that lost their Supply Line during the Action Phase (but don't have OOS Markers), only the movement penalty would apply, so combat would take place as per the standard rules.

3 - If not, can it move into a contested hex?

The rules also do not prevent this.

4 - If the contested hex is friendly controlled and in supply, would this put the unit back in supply immediately?

No!

i) A unit with an OOS Marker stays Out of Supply no matter what the state of its Supply Line or the presence of other In Supply units:

6.7.2 - Gaining a Supply Line during the Action Phase does not remove any OOS markers.

ii) a unit that has no OOS marker is not out of supply, even if it currently has no Supply Line. If it begins movement without a Supply Line, it suffers the "move one space towards supply restriction", if it begins movement with a Supply Line it moves normally. That is the only consequence/condition with regards to its Supply Line.

===========================================================

It is important to remember that OOS markers are only placed during the Production Phase, and can only be removed either during Production, or during any other phase with a Logistics Point:

10.1 - Re-Supply (Any phase): One LP removes the OOS marker (6.7.4) from one hex provided the hex has a current Supply Line (1.3). (No LP Limit)

Units with OOS Markers can only move one space towards supply, and only use 1/2 the dice during combat. This is true whether they are currently linked by a supply line or not. Only a Re-Supply Action can remove their OOS Marker!

Units without OOS Markers can still end up without a supply line during the Action Phase, but they do not get an OOS marker. These units can only move one space towards supply during movement, but all other rules remain the same. If during the next action phase they end up back in a supply line, then this movement restriction no longer applies.

Also remember that a Production Phase is followed by two Action Phases, so units placed OOS with an OOS Marker during a Production Phase will have to survive two Action Phases before they can be put back in supply (unless you use a Logistic Point for a Re-Supply Action during the Action Phase).

TL;DR - It is important to note the difference between having an OOS Marker, and not having an OOS Marker but being temporarily without a supply line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
Thank you for the thorough reply. I understand much better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickDintheAM wrote:
Thank you for the thorough reply. I understand much better now.

No problem at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
I know this is a silly question too, but VP hexes in France for the CP player state during mobile war, they are scored if they are controlled or contested. This would be both friendly or enemy contested, right?

Also, in a situation where after breakout combat a hex has 4 or more blocks and can't be reduced, I.E. one cav and infantry block for the French and English, what happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickDintheAM wrote:
I know this is a silly question too, but VP hexes in France for the CP player state during mobile war, they are scored if they are controlled or contested. This would be both friendly or enemy contested, right?

Also, in a situation where after breakout combat a hex has 4 or more blocks and can't be reduced, I.E. one cav and infantry block for the French and English, what happens?

1) Right, just contested in any fashion.

2) Stacking rules state you cannot end an Action Phase with more than 3 blocks, so if you can't consolidate to 3 you would have to lose one. I would avoid putting yourself in that situation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
I think what happened Reverend is I just misunderstood 3 or 4 small things and one really big thing and I got a totally different experience. For example, before you clarified, I though supply could be enforced midaction phase. I thought Koblenz was the only source of supply for the CP, so the AP player would just dive for Strasbourg and cut off a lot of CP troops and bleed them. I also thought the CP had to control the hexes too. A lot of CP VP's left off the scorecard, and a fairly aggressive allies player has usually won the game by the end of round 2. I am looking forward to trying again tonight with a better understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilson
United States
Garden City/Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
RickDintheAM wrote:

1) Right, just contested in any fashion.

In looking at scoring in scenarios I, II, and V, it appears that the only VP hexes that the CP can score points for contesting are the three Marne river hexes C07, D06, E06 (one of which is the Paris hex, C07).
D06 and E06 also score if controlled; and obviously C07 controlled at the end of an Allied phase wins the game for the CP.

Rule 15.1 refers to “controlling or contesting specifed hexes.” The scenario VP Objectives sections for scenarios I, II, and V specify the hexes and if they require control alone to score or if contesting will also allow scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.