Subject: Games Banned because of In-laws rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My younger brother recently played Monopoly with his in-laws and they played nothing like my family does. They didn't make fair deals and his father-in-law used to be a Senior VP at a Fortune 500 company. He was so disgusted in with the way the game was played because they were making deals that made no sense. He then informed the rest of the family that he will never play Monopoly again. Has anyone else out there had a game banned due to in-laws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
Off topic:
Were you playing with the correct rules? The comment about "making deals that made no sense" throws out a red flag to me.

On topic:
No, nothing that has specifically been banned due to the in-laws, but I avoid games with cards in them as I far too often see people crushing them in their hands or half folding them when they play them on the table. It's not worth it to scold people that I don't see very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your in laws did you a favor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing has been specifically outlawed due to inlaws, but I do know their preferences. For instance, 3 hour games are "banned" in that they don't want a game that takes that long to play. Same goes for really complex games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A F500 Senior VP surprised / offended at apparently nonsensical inside dealing? Was this merely faux outrage employed as an excuse for "banning" an execrable, badly dated 'game'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in-laws, but related. I started my son boardgaming at a young age. I stopped playing Bang! with boys when I discovered that the game's goals weren't their goals. They just liked to shoot people to death. I also discovered that when an 8-year-old boy playing Evo gets a couple of horns for his dinosaur, he will make decidedly non-strategic decisions for a chance to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
They wouldn't deal unless it was totally unrealistic to consummate. They were playing with the traditional rules along with the common Free Parking bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is fair to say, "Games are banned with my in-laws". None of them are likely to play anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've banned some games with my in-laws: Intelligent Conversation, Fun, and Sanity are the ones that come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I have banned my In-Laws and kept them from my game collection instead. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
My younger brother recently played Monopoly with his in-laws and they played nothing like my family does. They didn't make fair deals and his father-in-law used to be a Senior VP at a Fortune 500 company. He was so disgusted in with the way the game was played because they were making deals that made no sense. He then informed the rest of the family that he will never play Monopoly again. Has anyone else out there had a game banned due to in-laws?

I've heard of Monopoly starting brawls, so maybe it's for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
Not quite obvious from your post if your in-law banned the game or you did because it was unpleasant to play with him.

On topic:
Not my in-laws, but my own parents. I gave up trying to play anything more complex than King of Tokyo of Settlers with them. They just don't have the patience for rules and games that last a long time combined. They can play Trivial Pursuit (used the original because I think that is the one they own - but we have added more modern Qs to the set) but generally dislike playing with me because my random knowledge is better than theirs so I usually win.

Off topic:
Anyway, Monopoly is a terrible game. Especially when played with a F500 VP...
He was likely able to real-time calculate the ROI on each lot, the risk of paying back and the power shift imposed by a deal. Because the rules of that game are so bad it plays extremely different playing with your average non-financially-educated family crowd compared to a set of business professionals. The whole game is based on chance: who happens to land on a lot first to buy it? The "fair trade" rule is not in the rules, nowhere does it say that you HAVE to sell, or even that you HAVE to sell at a reasonable price. From a financial perspective the only time it makes sense to sell a lot is if you can sell it so expensive that you bankrupt the other player and prevent them from buying something else. Early game it makes no sense to buy expensively from other players as it shifts money balance too much compared to saving up to buy from the bank. Mid-game it only makes sense to buy from the others if they have pieces of a set you are collecting (otherwise you cannot win...) and because collecting a set is the win-condition, no sensible strategic mind would let go of a lot that denies your opponent victory. Once you spot this design flaw the game becomes "unsolveable" unless the random dice distribution of lots early happened to favor a player to the extreme. I have had games that lasted for HOURS because once you build all the buildings evenly between the players the odds of cash flowing evenly between players is pretty high. And as long as people have a reasonable bank roll, they have no reason to sell to a person who would win if they bought the lot...
On the other hand, when you play with non-financial people who make decisions based on what they feel like, or just for fun, the money flows in a completely different way and the game often comes to a conclusion faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Heffinck
Switzerland
flag msg tools
aziras wrote:

Off topic:
Anyway, Monopoly is a terrible game. Especially when played with a F500 VP...
He was likely able to real-time calculate the ROI on each lot, the risk of paying back and the power shift imposed by a deal. Because the rules of that game are so bad it plays extremely different playing with your average non-financially-educated family crowd compared to a set of business professionals. The whole game is based on chance: who happens to land on a lot first to buy it? The "fair trade" rule is not in the rules, nowhere does it say that you HAVE to sell, or even that you HAVE to sell at a reasonable price. From a financial perspective the only time it makes sense to sell a lot is if you can sell it so expensive that you bankrupt the other player and prevent them from buying something else. Early game it makes no sense to buy expensively from other players as it shifts money balance too much compared to saving up to buy from the bank. Mid-game it only makes sense to buy from the others if they have pieces of a set you are collecting (otherwise you cannot win...) and because collecting a set is the win-condition, no sensible strategic mind would let go of a lot that denies your opponent victory. Once you spot this design flaw the game becomes "unsolveable" unless the random dice distribution of lots early happened to favor a player to the extreme. I have had games that lasted for HOURS because once you build all the buildings evenly between the players the odds of cash flowing evenly between players is pretty high. And as long as people have a reasonable bank roll, they have no reason to sell to a person who would win if they bought the lot...
On the other hand, when you play with non-financial people who make decisions based on what they feel like, or just for fun, the money flows in a completely different way and the game often comes to a conclusion faster.

Exactly. Actually I have been banned from playing Monopoly for that same reason. For me Monopoly is a psychological game more than a game of luck. Its about making deals that seem fair or praying on desperation. Its not a nice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
They didn't make fair deals and his father-in-law used to be a Senior VP at a Fortune 500 company.
I think you have two choices when playing Monopoly: either you make fair deals or you want to win.

But I get what your are thinking. My wife is complaining about how I play Catan because I hardly ever trade. I don't trade as a gift. I trade if I see a clear opportunity to have a slightly higher benefit from that trade then my opponent.

Monopoly (amongst a lot of other games) can be brutal for others, if you play to win and luck is on your side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I puzzle to parse this and find the problem.
GeoffreyB wrote:
My younger brother recently played Monopoly with his in-laws and they (the in-laws) played nothing like my family does. They (the in-laws) didn't make fair deals and his father-in-law (who would obviously be one of the in-laws) used to be a Senior VP at a Fortune 500 company. He was so disgusted in with the way the game was played because they (the in-laws) were making deals that made no sense. He then informed the rest of the family that he will never play Monopoly again. Has anyone else out there had a game banned due to in-laws?

So the father-in-law now refuses to play anymore with his own family ? So is that "the in-laws" ? or just the father ?

(or just good sense...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe here that the 'he' is the younger brother
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even apart from the parsing, I can simply imagine that a couple of players not really interested in the game just started playing silly. This isn't specifically about the rules of Monopoly, rather it involves the general rules of etiquette.

(although Monopoly may be more vulnerable to playing silly anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

"Never play Monopoly again" was just his opening position in the negotiation. You need to sweeten the deal. But not too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that he was playing Monopoly explains why he is a FORMER Senior VP at a Fortune 500 company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Marley
msg tools
No, most VP's are sharp enough for dealing in Monopoly. I think the part that probably frustrates him the most is that winners being decided by moves that are not in one of the parties best interest or dealing with opponents that his normal methods trying to convince a deal is in their interest don't work. Like trying to sell a house to someone that is fiddly and you need the deal to happen for your plans. It probably hurts some too to lose at something that you have an inflated belief in your ability based on your previous salary.

My family loves wheeling and dealing and often once the game starts going lopsided, two players will basically form an alliance to try to increase their chances of not losing. It hasn't worked yet. It usually just prolongs the game because by the time the alliance is made it is usually too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throw Diplomacy on the table.

You can then watch these 'deals' dissolve in real-time. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.