Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Owczarski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions:

First, the simple one: I presume the Area Control markers labelled "EMPIRE" are for use in all scenarios by the European power, even though it's really only appropriate under Napoleon?

Second: At the start of each scenario, the European power is given at least two (if memory serves) areas under his control "for free". Does he have to do anything to keep them and therefore score VPs at the end of the turn? If not, I presume the English power has to move a squadron (two-ship?) into the area to claim it? If so, what's the point of the European power getting this at the start of the scenario?

Oh, and one other, if I may: What is the significant of the three flags underneath the ports on the port ring around the map? I presume it's the default "controller" for each of the three scenarios, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1. Yes. I suppose we could have made the label say European Powers, but Empire just seemed better, somehow.

2. To keep control the player will need to meet the control requirements at the end of the turn. See rule 8.1.

3. Yes, it is a scenario start indicator. I think it was covered in the rule on the map, which would be 3.2. I only have my draft rules here, a copy of the published game having not yet arrived, so I cannot check that for sure, but I am almost positive we remembered to discuss it in the rules, though, and I am fairly sure it says something in each scenario about placing the port markers to the indicated controllers.

smn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since each port on the map has its ownership annotated by scenario there is no need to place a port control marker on the map which reduces map clutter. A port control marker is only placed on the map when it has been captured by another nation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Owczarski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these answers.

May I ask then, what's the point of giving the European player those "free" area controls at the start of a scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Its to give the players the feel of the starting situation. A lot in this game is sort of new, from the standpoint of mechanics and considerations, so I figured anything I could do to help with orientation would be a good thing.

smn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.