Krzysztof Hawryla
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just purchased the game and I noticed that on page five of the rule book it says, "Note: No Monster starts the game in Tokyo. The first player must enter Tokyo City during this step." Does that mean if you're player #1, then you must enter Tokyo regardless if you didn't roll a smash die? If so, then why does every YouTube video and forum post state that upon starting the game, the first person to roll a smash die must enter the city? Also, if the latter is correct, then can you reroll the die that landed on a smash symbol in order to avoid entering the city? Thanks in advance.

Here's an image that I captured from the PDF: http://imgur.com/a/wHDjc

P.S. I own the 2nd edition of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The older version of the game did not have that rule. That is why the videos show it as the first person to roll a hit. They changed the rule because it was uninteresting when there was no monster in Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Hawryla
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I was just making sure that I read the rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe that "enter Tokyo" is the only actual rule change between editions.
Likewise there is only one actual card -change- (Monster Batteries > Battery Monster).

There are a large number of clarifications in 2nd edition, but it's still all essentially/functionally the same.

broggi wrote:
The older version of the game did not have that rule....They changed the rule because it was uninteresting when there was no monster in Tokyo.

It discourages "everyone just sits outside Tokyo for as long as possible collecting Energy and VP". It's a game about Monsters smashing people in the face! You want to play Yahtzee? Then just go play Yahtzee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
So the first player enters tokyo during setup?

Dos the first player then get 1 point for entering tokyo?
If you enter tokyo during setup.. do you then start your first turn in tokyo and gain 2 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DennisDK82 wrote:

If you enter tokyo during setup.. do you then start your first turn in tokyo and gain 2 points?

Everyone starts outside Tokyo.

There is a step after rolling the dice where you enter Tokyo if it is empty (which it will be on turn one).

You get the normal points for entering Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Strayer
msg tools
DennisDK82 wrote:

Not during setup... at the end of the 1st player's turn he enters... so the player going first plays his turn, rolls his dice, resolves his dice, then enters Tokyo at the end (and gains 1vp for entering)... play then proceeds normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfshanze wrote:
Not during setup... at the end of the 1st player's turn he enters... so the player going first plays his turn, rolls his dice, resolves his dice, then enters Tokyo at the end (and gains 1vp for entering)... play then proceeds normally.

It won't matter often, but "enter Tokyo" is actually in the middle of your turn, not the end.

1. Roll Dice
2. Resolve Dice
3. Enter Tokyo
4. Buy Power Cards
5. End of Turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Strayer
msg tools
Thanks for repeating exactly what I just said...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfshanze wrote:
Thanks for repeating exactly what I just said...

Trying to be as clear as possible with the rules here.
You may notice a place or two in your post that could potentially be interpreted incorrectly. Hence my need to reply with a more accurate breakdown of turn sequence.
grarrrg wrote:
Wolfshanze wrote:

It won't matter often, but "enter Tokyo" is actually in the middle of your turn, not the end.

1. Roll Dice
2. Resolve Dice
3. Enter Tokyo
4. Buy Power Cards
5. End of Turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.