United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombardment impulse 8.1.3
"The attacker selects an area of his choice as the target area."

Is this target area anywhere on the map?

Later in the rule it talks about the inability to fire at an adjacent area if the artillery unit is in a contested area so this made me think perhaps bombardment only occurs at adjacent areas.

I see this is clarified in section 13.0 to be an adjacent area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, the target area may be either the area the artillery unit currently is in, or an adjacent area.

Michael Rinella
Designer: Patton's Vanguard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sisson
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a comment about Artillery bombardment, played a FtF game last night and the Germans had a hard time dealing with the Artillery. Once the fog cleared, the (I will call them the Corp) Artty 7-2-5 plus the other 2 support artty for a Bombardment of 9 vs the terrain defense of 1 or maybe 2 , was a very deadly shot, not to mention if there was a concentration of 5 or more German units in the Target area the Bombardment attack would be 3 more.
With the Attrition points being satisfied on a 1 to 1 basis the Attacked area can be pretty well reduced for the entire game.
We thought that was maybe to strong, during testing was there thoughts to make Bombardment AT damage points not a 1 to 1 to satisfy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Artillery is what really put the hurt on the Germans during the historical campaign, especially in the second scenario.

As the Germans you want to get up close, fast, which means contesting those higher TEM areas. It may mean making an attack at close to even odds (hopefully you have the Advantage to re-roll if things go wrong). Getting caught in +1 TEM areas after the fog lifts is meant to be scary, deliberately.

Another German tactic is to put the Allied player into positions where they must choose an Assault Impulse rather than a Bombardment Impulse. Dictating tempo in this manner can minimize your artillery bombardment losses.

There are huge variations in die rolls with both players rolling 2D6. Yes, a big Allied roll will be devastating. We had many instances of the Allied player cursing the dice when a strong bombardment did minimal damage or whiffed entirely.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Patton's Vanguard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sisson
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, both of us said there is a way to do this with out large losses, just have to figure this out.
So there is more for use to look at, we only played 1 and 1/2 turns and the Germans had faced 2 strong Bombardments into full area's, they were trying the hammer attack approach, (max fire power)
So watch for an After action report next week, will maybe try the parry and jab approach :)
And I hear you about die rolls, my geek name is not "Damn dice" for nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.