United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Got a couple random questions.

1) What is the definition of enemy activation? Red gremlin's quickness allows it to activate it if it wasn't activated during enemy turn. For cards like Troop Assault which reads "All enemies attack their closest hero in Los", does that mean gremlin's quickness would activate since Troop Assault doesn't specifically use the word activate? This would effectively give the red gremlin two attacks.

2) What's the difference between talents and background talents? Can I upgrade my heroes with either one when they achieve a *?

3) For Rising Pony Tavern, in the rules the star gives 25 crowns but on the card it says 20. Anyone know the official #?

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamigira wrote:
1) What is the definition of enemy activation? Red gremlin's quickness allows it to activate it if it wasn't activated during enemy turn. For cards like Troop Assault which reads "All enemies attack their closest hero in Los", does that mean gremlin's quickness would activate since Troop Assault doesn't specifically use the word activate? This would effectively give the red gremlin two attacks.

An activation includes two things:

1. The enemy is explicitly "activated" (this means that you follow the standard AI rule evaluation to determine what it does)
2. The enemy takes some action as a result of the Encounter card, even though it doesn't explicitly "activate" (so if the encounter card causes the enemy to move/attack/etc. without referencing its AI rules).

Simone explicitly stated this here.

kamigira wrote:
2) What's the difference between talents and background talents? Can I upgrade my heroes with either one when they achieve a *?

Background talents are an optional extra you can use; the rules for using them are outlined on the back of the talent cards, but basically you draw one randomly for each of your heroes at the start of your campaign and they do not count against your skills or talents.

Don't use them, you'll regret it. A reprinting of them with new rules that don't make key characters worthless is being included in Act II.

kamigira wrote:
3) For Rising Pony Tavern, in the rules the star gives 25 crowns but on the card it says 20. Anyone know the official #?

I don't know which is correct, but generally cards override rules when it comes to sources of truth, so I'd go with the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Don't use them, you'll regret it.

Yes. Much of this game is great, some of it is ok, the background talents are the only thing I've come across that are just outright bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kamigira wrote:
Hello,

Got a couple random questions.

Thanks for the help

Hi gentlemen,
The right prize for the Tavern is 20, the manual reports a misprint sorry.

Simone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:

20 is already pretty generous. I wonder how the Tavern stays in business, giving out 6 Crowns for every 5 Crowns wagered. They must make it up with volume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect a counterfeit Crown racket is going down at the Rising Pony basement. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Simone Romano wrote:

20 is already pretty generous. I wonder how the Tavern stays in business, giving out 6 Crowns for every 5 Crowns wagered. They must make it up with volume.
6 and 2/3, you mean...

I just assumed the fluff is that the heroes are cheating. The other bets are even odds, and no gambling establishment that wants to stay in business designs its games that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
6 and 2/3, you mean...

I thought 3/10 of 20 is 6. Am I going to have to return my PhD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
RezardVareth wrote:
6 and 2/3, you mean...

I thought 3/10 of 20 is 6. Am I going to have to return my PhD?
No. I need to get some sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cleric By Dinnertime
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help everyone. Back in the box the background talents go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
It is fortunate nobody offered me infinite rolls at a payout of 16 on the star last night. I probably would have taken them up on the offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Simone Romano wrote:

Are you guys factoring in that you have to predict the result? The rules say to make a guess and you only get paid if your guess is right. That would lower the payout.

Not positive on that though, I only have a masters degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Are you guys factoring in that you have to predict the result? The rules say to make a guess and you only get paid if your guess is right.

Yes. You pay $5 to wager and you get $20 with probability 0.3, which is an expected return of $6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
This has to be working as intended. Video games often reward gambling with favorable odds and this is no different. If Simone wanted to be even money, it could have been a bolt for 25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preach379 wrote:
I take it you don't have a master's in statistics?

Nope, got my masters in Graphic Design. So that means I'm perfectly qualified to complain about any art, fonts, or layout in a board game

Anyway, just checking to see that was taken into consideration. Nice to know you stats guys are on the ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,
the answer is very simple, both Tavern Buildings (yes there is another different Tavern in the ACT II... The Slaughtered Lamb!) are designed to be funny and useful for you.

I promise you that we will never open a real CasinĂ² with that rules, but I can assure that in the S&S world they work exactly as intended...

They represents easy way to make money for your heroes so... why don't bet part of your Crowns... this is not gambling... it is an investment, right? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.