Hide
4 Posts

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Variants

Subject: PLAAFLeader or Merc Leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J street
msg tools
With the summer here I've been working on some Hornet Leader variants and wondered if anyone would be interested.

PLAAF Leader
I've been messing around with one for a while using the RPG-style pilot generation system that I uploaded earlier. It's mostly written down in a notebook next to my game shelf; I'm terrible with computer graphics programs and don't want to sort through all of the copyright issues with trying to find images that I could legally use in an upload. My own cards have images but I wouldn't want to distribute them if I don't have the right to do so.

Right now it has 2 out of 4 campaigns (Taiwan, India, Japan and Russia), hostile stats, new weapons and aircraft (J-7, JH-8, J-10, J-11, J-16 and J-20), event cards and a new feature called the "Intervention Track". Basically this adds an extra cup of chits to draw from for American intervention in your actions (at least against Taiwan and Japan) with special missions that you could take to reduce the Intervention level (possibly at great cost to you - nobody said killing an aircraft carrier would be easy).

Merc Leader
I spent a lot of time playing games like UN Squadron, Strike Commander and Air Force Delta Storm when I was younger. I just liked the idea of putting together a squadron of whatever aircraft I wanted. So a while back I started doing the same thing for Hornet Leader.
Right now this project has about 20 available aircraft from around the world and a variety of weapons. Some of the weapons are a bit redundant to be honest (how different can you make an IRIS-T, ASRAAM and AIM-9X?) but since each aircraft can only carry certain weapons it can still matter a little bit. The pilots are generated using the RPG-system and are linked to an aircraft. You can transfer a pilot to a new aircraft for a cost in skill points but that system is still a bit messy. There is one campaign, written in a section of bands similar to a Marine campaign. There are enemy counters and even special counters for elite squadrons to face. The economics system is fairly simple and replaces SO points; aircraft and weapons cost you money and missions earn you money.

Anyway, feel free to let me know if this sounds interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I spoke with Kevin Erik Verssen sometime ago - He says that a MiG Leader is in the cards, so the possibility of using PLAAF aircraft is plausible in that one.

I'd settle more for Merc Leader...
Though there's one other game you can use as a source reference, Third Wire's Strike Fighters series. If anything, you can base it more in a fictional country similar to SF/SF2 and UN Squadron (AKA Area 88, which is also a Japanese manga [comic] series that is based upon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like a wet dream of mine (MiG Leader)...I tried and still slowly work on "Kuznetsov Leader" ... so if the actually there was a real "Russian/Soviet Leader", that would be day 1 buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.