Hide
3 Posts

Risk Europe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Need help with Risk Europe 2 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon Gentile
msg tools
So I picked up this game for my husband and myself, and we are both new to this style of game, we've never played combat strategy games. We are having trouble deciphering the language used in the 2 player variant part of the rulebook.

Regarding game setup: From what I can gather, each player has 2 mercenary armies, each occupying a city with 10 footmen, a crown and a castle. Then we are instructed to draft 3 more city territories with 5 footmen each, split between a city and a non-city territory. But which army do those five new footmen come from since we each have 2 armies? Do I have that first part right or do we each get one mercenary army and have the other on the board as a backup army? I guess we are not understanding the difference between a mercenary army and the regular armies you have in the 4 player version. I hope these questions makes sense, the rulebook just uses language that isn't really clear.

We've watched all the video reviews out there and none of them really address these questions. Any help on 2 player gameplay would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

This thread is likely to be moved to the Risk Europe forum here on BGG. Experienced players will then have an opportunity to respond.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frippledip wrote:
So I picked up this game for my husband and myself, and we are both new to this style of game, we've never played combat strategy games. We are having trouble deciphering the language used in the 2 player variant part of the rulebook.

Regarding game setup: From what I can gather, each player has 2 mercenary armies, each occupying a city with 10 footmen, a crown and a castle. Then we are instructed to draft 3 more city territories with 5 footmen each, split between a city and a non-city territory. But which army do those five new footmen come from since we each have 2 armies? Do I have that first part right or do we each get one mercenary army and have the other on the board as a backup army? I guess we are not understanding the difference between a mercenary army and the regular armies you have in the 4 player version. I hope these questions makes sense, the rulebook just uses language that isn't really clear.

We've watched all the video reviews out there and none of them really address these questions. Any help on 2 player gameplay would be greatly appreciated.

Players start with only their own army. The mercenary armies are separate from the players' armies. The mercenary armies in the two player game are both set up before the players set up their own armies. You will use different colors for the mercenaries than for your own troops, so that you can tell the mercenaries apart from each other and from your own troops.

Now, the important difference between the mercenary army and the player's army is that you are only guaranteed to control your army. The mercenary army (or armies, if playing two player) are controlled by highest bidder (or bidders, if there are two mercenary armies and the players split control of the mercenaries) for that turn. Control of the mercenaries is contested every turn. Players can choose not to bid for control if that is their wish.

Control of the mercenaries allows the controller to use them to fight their opponent(s). See pages 20 and 21 in the rule book for a further run down of the official rules.

Make sure that you use the right set of mercenary rules. The rules for setting up the single mercenary army in the three player game are different from the rules for setting up the dual mercenary armies in the two player game.

Furthermore, fellow BGG user and Risk Europe player Kalhagen wrote up some variant rules for two and three player games of Risk Europe, those rules can be found at this link, or as a part of the Risk Europe page under Files (between Videos and Stats near the bottom of the top of the game page) titled "Empires - Alternate Rules for 2 or 3 Players".

I hope this helps.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.