Subject: Second edition + expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip De Rijcke
Belgium
Eeklo
flag msg tools
mb
I got the second edition and looking to buy some extra.
Was browsing thru my local gameshop website and i saw he had a couple for the first edition.
-CALL OF THE WILD
-SEASON OF THE WITCH
-THE SILVER TABLET
-TIL DEATH DO US PART
-THE LABORATORY

I only see the Call of the wild exp on the tablet so my guesse is this the only one that is going to work with second edition ?

If i buy the old exp do i get new scenarios or do the standard one get new rooms ?

He has a beyond the treshold to so i am getting that one for sure but was wondering how things go with old expansions.

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the big boxes for the 1st edition add anything to MoM 2e, so the only one there is Call of the Wild. But...

I'd maybe hold off grabbing it unless it's a brilliant price as the 2e Mansions of Madness: Second Edition – Suppressed Memories: Figure and Tile Collection contains all the 2e-usable material from both Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy so could work out a cheaper long-term option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mb
The expansions you are mentioning are all expansions for the first edition of mansions of madness. Of these, "Call of the Wild" is the big box expansion, the others are all small expansions.

In the second edition, you can use parts of the components of the first edition and the big box expansions of the first edition. In that sense, "Call of the Wild" can be used in the second edition (you get 1 or 2 extra scenarios, and more variety in the other scenarios).

However, it makes much more sense to buy the expansion "Suppressed memories" for the second edition. This gives you all the components you need of both the "Call of the Wild" and the "Forbidden Alchemy" expansions, and is cheaper than "Call of the Wild" as well.

In conclusion, the most logical thing for you to do is buy only expansions for the second edition, namely:

Regular expansions for the second edition:
- Beyond the Threshold
- Streets of Arkham
These give you more scenarios and more game play mechanics

Expansions with the components of the first edition that you can use in the second edition:
- Recurring Nightmares (with components from the base game first edition)
- Suppressed Memories (with components from both "Call of the Wild" and "Forbidden Alchemy" expansions of the base game)
These give you more scenarios and more variation on the old scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip De Rijcke
Belgium
Eeklo
flag msg tools
mb
Cool

Thx for the quick reply guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivo1994 wrote:
In conclusion, the most logical thing for you to do is buy only expansions for the second edition, namely:

Regular expansions for the second edition:
- Beyond the Threshold
- Streets of Arkham

Just to point out - Streets of Arkham isn't out for quite a while, so you won't find that one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bekil
Germany
Erding
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The others are POD Scenarios, which you cant combine.

Also, if you don´t have forbidden Alchemie already, it´s most likly cheaper to get the second Edition containing both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should also be mentioned that the old first edition stuff is out of print, and especially the Call of the Wild expansion is incredibly expensive usually. If you can get it for a cheap price, it might be a smart investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the first ed tiles don't have the indoor/outdoor colors. And the insert that comes in the conversion pack has some indoor/outdoor names wrong and has been amended in the FAQ. It is better to get the second edition one to avoid having to look up two tables to be sure if something is indoors or outdoors. Also, if you get the first edition expansion, it will be very hard to find the matching first edition set, eventually forcing you to get the second edition box that would have copies, making you spend two times the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
It should also be mentioned that the old first edition stuff is out of print, and especially the Call of the Wild expansion is incredibly expensive usually. If you can get it for a cheap price, it might be a smart investment.

Yep - this.

I've been trying to get a Dark Young mini for AGES for my Arkham Horror monster collection, and it's been hard to get one via ANY route.

Best option is buying another copy of the MoM tile / monster expansion, but that is still a pricy route for one (unpainted) miniature...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
I've been trying to get a Dark Young mini for AGES for my Arkham Horror monster collection, and it's been hard to get one via ANY route.

Best option is buying another copy of the MoM tile / monster expansion, but that is still a pricy route for one (unpainted) miniature...

Does it have to be a FFG Dark Young?

I suspect that the base of a Cthulhu Wars Dark Young would be too big if you want to use it in FFG games, and it may cost you more than Suppressed Memories though you'd get a great game and plenty of new minis in a similar scale to MoM (CW is possibly slightly larger).

RAFM do a 28mm Dark Young that may be better for you (if non-FFG is acceptable). See http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store... though I have no idea whether postage to Oz rules this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.